U18 USA team set | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U18 USA team set

Reaction Score
The comments about the lack of bulk up front, makes me think that the selection committee feels that Ododa showed them that she is a very effective rebounder against the bulk she will be facing, despite lack of said bulk on her part.

Another indication that UConn will have a developing, but true center this coming season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nothing at all against Walz in particular......my admiration for him has been previously noted...it's simply a matter of perception..while the committee makes the player decisions, I have to believe the head coach has some input (and they should) ....and in this instance you have a potential recruit working with her possible future coach before making a final college decision..even if the coach is a straight arrow this appears to be an unfair advantage..... ......I remember there were even comments like this when Geno took over as Olympic team coach and that's a far different situation where the players have either graduated or have become committed players in a college program. all things being equal I'd just prefer to see retired coaches or perhaps active DII or DIII coaches handle age groups where players are still in the process of choosing a school so there can be no inkling of recruiting advantage...I would assume there are plenty of qualified coaches with international experience out there that would love the opportunity.....
I agree with you that there is the potential of a conflict, including the part about the perception. Strongly disagree with your approach to avoiding the potential conflict. USA basketball coaching is entirely voluntary if there are qualified coaches with international experience they need to step forward that same way that Jeff, Dawn, Carla, Kim Barnes-Arico, Cori Close, Natasha Adair, Doug Bruno.... have.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I agree with you that there is the potential of a conflict, including the part about the perception. Strongly disagree with your approach to avoiding the potential conflict. USA basketball coaching is entirely voluntary if there are qualified coaches with international experience they need to step forward that same way that Jeff, Dawn, Carla, Kim Barnes-Arico, Cori Close, Natasha Adair, Doug Bruno.... have.

USA Basketball is fully aware of the potential conflict and watches very closely. The coaches know that.

Reaction Score
The last time a USA Basketball U-18 team lost a FIBA Americas game was 1996. Two years ago the toughest competition was Team Canada and Team USA won that game by 47 points. In 2014 Team Canada came within 30 points with the other countries losing to the US by 40-50 points.
Is Lauren Cox, Ruthy Hebard, Megan Walker, Rellah Boothe, Napheesa Collier, A'ja Wilson, Brianna Turner, or Jessica Shepard available eligible to play? I hope you get the point.
The class of 2018 has yet to prove they can win a gold medal. They are the ones representing this U18 team.
The 2015 U16 lost to Brazil in the semi-final 72-63. Canada would go on to beat Brazil 72-71 in the gold medal round.
I know that you recognized that only Canada will be tough, but the US isn't necessarily the clear-cut favorite. You didn't say anything about favorites, but I just wanted to add in that tidbit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Is Lauren Cox, Ruthy Hebard, Megan Walker, Rellah Boothe, Napheesa Collier, A'ja Wilson, Brianna Turner, or Jessica Shepard available eligible to play? I hope you get the point.
The class of 2018 has yet to prove they can win a gold medal. They are the ones representing this U18 team.
The 2015 U16 lost to Brazil in the semi-final 72-63. Canada would go on to beat Brazil 72-71 in the gold medal round.
I know that you recognized that only Canada will be tough, but the US isn't necessarily the clear-cut favorite. You didn't say anything about favorites, but I just wanted to add in that tidbit.

I'm fully aware of what happened to the U16 team in 2015. The U16 ship was righted last year. You can look up the results. Plus, as the players get older, USA BB does a better job of selecting and coaching the national teams. Again, we're talking FIBA Americas, not the world championships.

I actually don't get your point but that's okay. If you choose to believe that Team USA is not necessarily a clear-cut favorite, then by all means go with that. Below are the Team USA scores from the last U18 FIBA Americas tournament. I overlooked Brazil which was Team USA closest margin of victory, not Canada. Brazil finished 3rd overall.

USA 117 Guatemala 32
USA 80 Brazil 59
USA 110 Venezuela 52
USA 104 Puerto Rico 36
USA 109 Canada 62

Reaction Score
USA Basketball is fully aware of the potential conflict and watches very closely. The coaches know that.

I could also just as easily see it working against a coach in this situation.............they might actually be tougher on the potential recruit just to prove they aren't showing favoritism...................it's just a good thing that MM isn't coaching at the U17 level...............could you imagine if she was coaching Bueckers, Jones, Boston. Fudd etc?..............I have a feeling that none of us (other then our ND fans) would be very happy with that situation..........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Agreed! Also think UCONN should kick the tires on Rickea Jackson since both Amihere and Boston have scheduled visits to ND.

UConn watched/had interest in Jackson more than a year ago. That seemed to just die out. Thinking maybe she let it be known she wasn't interested.

I agree though. In theory, you'd think UConn would be knocking down her door.

Reaction Score
The comments about the lack of bulk up front, makes me think that the selection committee feels that Ododa showed them that she is a very effective rebounder against the bulk she will be facing, despite lack of said bulk on her part.

Another indication that UConn will have a developing, but true center this coming season.

Ododa is an excellent shot blocker and rebounder...........whether she can guard in the low post against bigger, stronger players is the big question...........I do know she will beat just about anybody she plays against down to the other end of the court..........

Reaction Score
UConn watched/had interest in Jackson more than a year ago. That seemed to just die out. Thinking maybe she let it be known she wasn't interested.

I agree though. In theory, you'd think UConn would be knocking down her door.

UConn appears to have cast it's lot with the big four........I certainly hope they get at least one little one and one big one otherwise 2019/20 is going to be one tough season.......

Reaction Score
I'm fully aware of what happened to the U16 team in 2015. The U16 ship was righted last year. You can look up the results. Plus, as the players get older, USA BB does a better job of selecting and coaching the national teams. Again, we're talking FIBA Americas, not the world championships.

I actually don't get your point but that's okay. If you choose to believe that Team USA is not necessarily a clear-cut favorite, then by all means go with that. Below are the Team USA scores from the last U18 FIBA Americas tournament. I overlooked Brazil which was Team USA closest margin of victory, not Canada. Brazil finished 3rd overall.

USA 117 Guatemala 32
USA 80 Brazil 59
USA 110 Venezuela 52
USA 104 Puerto Rico 36
USA 109 Canada 62

The point I'm trying to make, is that these are completely different players for every country participating. Last U18 team consisted of 2016s and 17s. This year they consist of 18s and 19s. The 18s have yet to prove that they can win gold. Do I want the US to win? Yes, that would be great for them. But they haven't proven to be the clear-cut favorite. I do expect them to win this tournament. I think the selection will create a super team next year when the 2018,19, and 20 classes are going to make up the U19.
I agree with your point that the selection process and coaching gets better as the team's get older. Jeff Walz will have them ready.

Reaction Score
Aquira DeCosta missed a part of the tryouts due to her High School graduation. I'm assuming this hurt her chances.
I don't know when the tryouts started and how long they ran, but DeCosta's graduation ceremony was on Saturday the 26th.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

ND is set for a European tour that conflicts with the U18 dates, so that's the commitment they are referencing for Nixon and Prohaska.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

ND is set for a European tour that conflicts with the U18 dates, so that's the commitment they are referencing for Nixon and Prohaska.

Didn't ND take a trip last summer?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Didn't ND take a trip last summer?

They were supposed to, but due to spring transfers (Boley, Patberg) and injuries (Turner and Westbeld, who was recovering from ankle surgery), they postponed it to this year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They were supposed to, but due to spring transfers (Boley, Patberg) and injuries (Turner and Westbeld, who was recovering from ankle surgery), they postponed it to this year.
Great opportunity for this veteran team which has a good mix of transfers and newbies to bond and learn to play together. Better idea I think for this years team than for last years. Still, typically smart MM.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Wasn't everyone already aware of the dates of ND's overseas trip, and that these two freshmen would be unavailable for the U18 schedule?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Strange that Baylor's Queen Egbo can't participate but Nalyssa Smith can.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Gotcha. Thanks.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wasn't everyone already aware of the dates of ND's overseas trip, and that these two freshmen would be unavailable for the U18 schedule?

One would think. I had heard or read about the ND trip a couple of months ago. I can understand the ND players participating in the trials -- a great experience -- but it's strange that they were selected for the team.

Some here may recall that before UConn traveled to Italy 2 summers ago USA BB held trials for the U-23 team that was playing in the Four Nations Tournament. Lou and Napheesa participated in the trials but were not selected for the team because of UConn's Italy trip.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One would think. I had heard or read about the ND trip a couple of months ago. I can understand the ND players participating in the trials -- a great experience -- but it's strange that they were selected for the team.

Some here may recall that before UConn traveled to Italy 2 summers ago USA BB held trials for the U-23 team that was playing in the Four Nations Tournament. Lou and Napheesa participated in the trials but were not selected for the team because of UConn's Italy trip.
I think it was last summer, and I believe that Kia Nurse was participating in a tourney in South America and flew right to Italy after Canada finished (with a win, I believe).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think it was last summer, and I believe that Kia Nurse was participating in a tourney in South America and flew right to Italy after Canada finished (with a win, I believe).

You are correct. It was last summer, a busy one for Kia Nurse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom