U17 World championship USA vs Columbia 7/25/18 | The Boneyard

U17 World championship USA vs Columbia 7/25/18

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
USA up 46 to 27 at the half. USA playing well but I think mostly looking towards a day off.
Boston dominating inside. Azzi being Azzi=great. Horston and Jones shooting sub par 4 of 11.
No minutes for Brunelle in the first half-only USA player not to see the floor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fran Belibi just had a break away steal and everyone (including me) thought she was going to flush it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In case anybody was wondering why Carla still has all 5 starters in the game this late. The answer is they are practicing the zone defense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The Great: Boston=Points leader and tie for most rebounds : Fudd=3 -4 from deep.
The very good: Bueckers= team assists leader: Horston=solid stat stuffer: Jones=tied for team lead in rebounds.
The not so good. Van Lith (0 -5) and Cooke (1-6)

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to watching this team play against quality competition. They were sloppy at times against Columbia's press and seemingly weren't as aggressive on the offensive boards as they have been. It is hard to maintain intensity when you are up by thirty. I have watched every game and I am still not sure who the go to person is when the game is close.

As has been said many times, Coach Berube is doing a wonderful job rotating twelve kids. It is not as easy as looks especially when you have a team where every player is used to being the star of their high school or AAU teams. I am sure it has been a wonderful experience but a jolt to some of their egos.

Reaction Score
between the music at every conceivable break, the drumming and the air horns I'm sure glad I'm not there in person.........CD must have ear plugs.........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I watched a fair amount of the second half. I had not seen anything other than highlights from the prior games. I thought our defense was suffocating, but the half-court offense was ragged. In terms of individual players, I noted a few things, much of which matched others' comments and my expectations:

Boston is a strong and skilled post presence. I also saw her shoot 4-4 on FTs.

Fudd is trimmer and quicker than she looked at SJC. She handles the ball very well and still has that marvelous jump shot, perhaps the best since KML.

Bueckers is smooooooth and skilled. She is on the thin side.

Jones does everything well and has decent size.

Horston also has extreme athleticism and versatility. She's thinner, while Jones looks stronger.

Van Lith is an ankle-breaker. As Geno says about Crystal, she can get anywhere on the court she wants to go.

Cooke is über-athletic but a bit out of control.

Brink is long and thin. But Stewie looked like that at one time.

Brunelle indeed looked like the slowest and least athletic player on our team. She has skills and intelligence, but I'd take Jones in a heartbeat.

I too expected Belibi to dunk. She's hyper-athletic, but raw.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
between the music at every conceivable break, the drumming and the air horns I'm sure glad I'm not there in person....CD must have ear plugs....
Tim's airhorn was indeed annoying.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to watching this team play against quality competition. They were sloppy at times against Columbia's press and seemingly weren't as aggressive on the offensive boards as they have been. It is hard to maintain intensity when you are up by thirty. I have watched every game and I am still not sure who the go to person is when the game is close.

As has been said many times, Coach Berube is doing a wonderful job rotating twelve kids. It is not as easy as looks especially when you have a team where every player is used to being the star of their high school or AAU teams. I am sure it has been a wonderful experience but a jolt to some of their egos.
Yeah, kids who score 20+ in high school are asked to be content with 6-8 points.

Reaction Score

The “go tos” are Jones and Fudd in no particular order.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Scott Rueck and Dawn Staley in attendance.

Niele Ivey is/will be there for Notre Dame.
Rest of Irish coaches have been scattered around the country -- like most D1 coaches -- attending various tourneys to take advantage of current NCAA evaluation period.

(BTW, Jaden is her son, who has more than a bit of his mom's hoops genes ;))

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom