U17 USA vs Spain for the Gold Medal 10 AM Today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U17 USA vs Spain for the Gold Medal 10 AM Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting to compare the style of play with this team and the U18 team - one year age difference but light years in terms of team play. (harking back to my last post about coaching as well - as that team had a college HC.)

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I missed a lot of the second half, as my feed was getting caught in loops and kept going back to halftime warm ups. I do understand Lindsay Allen came on strong offensively with several back to back 3's and she had some great passes in the first half, very impressive. She and Taya Reimer are going to be a great tandem at ND. If Greenwell commits to ND as well, that is going to be a heck of a class.

I was most interested in Linnae Harper though as I have not seen her play before. She is relentless on defense, created many turnovers/steals and never gave up on a play. I would take that kid on my team any day for the offense she creates by her stellar defensive play.

Reaction Score
The U-18 team had better coaching, better experience (Stewart and Tuck had already won a U-19 World Championship), but I also think better players overall. Watching this U-17 team provides some added explanation for why it has been a tough recruiting year for UConn among other factors.

Although it should be noted the U-18 team was facing lesser competition since it was only a regional competition.
Interesting to compare the style of play with this team and the U18 team - one year age difference but light years in terms of team play. (harking back to my last post about coaching as well - as that team had a college HC.)

Reaction Score
So - second half I started having the same problem with my feed - kept jumping back to 1st half game action - oh well. USA is obviously going to win, but not all that enjoyable to watch.
I am wondering about the USA coaching decision - I do not remember seeing high school coaches as HC of other USA teams at any age level. I haven't watched that much of the younger USA teams so I may just be ignorant, but is this standard practice? Didn't they have Jen for some of the younger teams previously? I think college coaches would be better choices because they are probably better at working with better and more balanced team talent. I think a lot of the USA team issues people are seeing comes from coaching rather than necessarily the players themselves.

I have been watching the boys for a few years and HS coaches always coach their national teams. With all the complaints this year I doubt college coaches will be allowed to coach girls national teams again.

Reaction Score
College coaches always coach the U-18 and above teams on the women's side. It's not really much of an issue because at that age on the women's side because the majority of the players have already committed or even signed their LOI. And those that haven't are really deep into their recruiting process. Diamond DeShields was a rare exception a couple of years ago. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The newer U-16 and U-17 teams have always been coached by high school or junior college coaches to this point.
I have been watching the boys for a few years and HS coaches always coach their national teams. With all the complaints this year I doubt college coaches will be allowed to coach girls national teams again.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
College coaches always coach the U-18 and above teams on the women's side. It's not really much of an issue because at that age on the women's side because the majority of the players have already committed or even signed their LOI. And those that haven't are really deep into their recruiting process. Diamond DeShields was a rare exception a couple of years ago. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The newer U-16 and U-17 teams have always been coached by high school or junior college coaches to this point.
Well Jen did the U17s last year which I think was the first year for them?
And the Juniors which have been replaced by the U16 - U18 (I think) used to be college coaches.
I do understand a certain wariness regarding college coaches working with kids before they have committed, but a bunch of them are already doing various camps that are at least a little 'questionable'.

Reaction Score
The U-18 team had better coaching, better experience (Stewart and Tuck had already won a U-19 World Championship), but I also think better players overall. Watching this U-17 team provides some added explanation for why it has been a tough recruiting year for UConn among other factors.

Although it should be noted the U-18 team was facing lesser competition since it was only a regional competition.

The U18 had the best player in Stewart. The U17 have the best talent from top to bottom without a doubt. Stewart was the only reason the U18 beat the U17 in their scrimmage. It took Stewart taking over the game to pull out a win. I think the U18 were actually helped by all the injuries they had reducing their roster to 9. Provided much more cohesion.

Reaction Score
Jen coached the U18s and the U19s. She never coached the U17s.

EDIT: Here's the link to who the coaches were of the only previous U17.
Well Jen did the U17s last year which I think was the first year for them?
And the Juniors which have been replaced by the U16 - U18 (I think) used to be college coaches.
I do understand a certain wariness regarding college coaches working with kids before they have committed, but a bunch of them are already doing various camps that are at least a little 'questionable'.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sounds like it was an entertaining game where it showed strengths and weaknesses of the US team. You can see the talent of individual players, but it will be interesting to see how the coaches mold them when they get to college, or if the coaches let them play their own way...

Reaction Score
Better pure athletic talent for the U-17s I would agree with just not better basketball players. I also agree they were helped by the injuries. I also do not put a whole lot of stock in a scrimmage. Similarly I do put as much stock in AAU ball as many do who think it is the end all and be all. It is an important factor, but when it comes to how well a player will do at UConn for example their high school play is often more telling even though the level of competition is typically much lower.
The U18 had the best player in Stewart. The U17 have the best talent from top to bottom without a doubt. Stewart was the only reason the U18 beat the U17 in their scrimmage. It took Stewart taking over the game to pull out a win. I think the U18 were actually helped by all the injuries they had reducing their roster to 9. Provided much more cohesion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So Notre Dame is getting Jewell Loyd, Allen, and Mabrey. Not much size, but really good guards.

Reaction Score
So Notre Dame is getting Jewell Loyd, Allen, and Mabrey. Not much size, but really good guards.

They get Loyd and Mabrey this season, but next season they get Reimer along with Allen for some size.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
They get Loyd and Mabrey this season, but next season they get Reimer along with Allen for some size.
Notre Dame also gets Kristina Nelson and Diamond Thompson next year to play the post, and perhaps Becca Greenwell (ND or Duke), who is 6'1" and led the U17 today with 12 boards.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Notre Dame also gets Kristina Nelson and Diamond Thompson next year to play the post, and perhaps Becca Greenwell (ND or Duke), who is 6'1" and led the U17 today with 12 boards.
Are they getting 3 guards in 2012?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Jen coached the U18s and the U19s. She never coached the U17s.

EDIT: Here's the link to who the coaches were of the only previous U17.
Well - that is interesting because this is USA Basketball's take on Jen's coaching career:
Jennifer Rizzotti Hartford 2011 FIBA U17 World Championship
8-1 Gold
2010 FIBA Americas U18 Championship
5-0
Gold

This is copied from:
http://www.usabasketball.com/history//all_time_womens_coaches.html

And my point was about College coaches and Barbara Nelson is that.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Are they getting 3 guards in 2012?
Yes. This fall Notre Dame welcomes Jewell Loyd, Michaela Mabrey, and Hannah Huffman. Next fall (assuming that the verbals sign, Notre Dame would welcome two posts (Kristina Nelson and Diamond Thompson), a forward (Taya Reimer), a PG (Lindsay Allen) and if she commits, a wing (Becca Greenwell).

Reaction Score
I know of 7 coaches personally that had an issue with Katie Meyer coaching the U-18 team and felt that it gave her and Miami an unfair recruiting advantage as she was able to interact with both the U17 & U18 team. Each coach felt that she should not have been "recruiting" players at the trials nor in Florida. I don't know how it's been in the past with girl and USA basketball and high school kids but the boys have the Nike Hoop Summit every year in Portland, OR, high school kids dawn the USA jerseys play against the "World" team comprising of international select players. NBA coaches can attend college coaches not and it is always coached by HS coaches.

Reaction Score
Nelson is a DII coach who has in absolutely no danger of trying to recruit anyone on an USA team. I forgot to include DII and lower coaches, but it was implied in my original point that USA Bsketball doesn't let DI coaches coach the U16 and U17 teams. There is recognition of recruiting conflicts at that age level. There have not been any DI coaches on the staffs at that age level, but beginning at the U18 level the teams are coached by college coaches like Geno Auriemma who coached Diana Taurasi and Ashley Battle at the U-18 level and then Taurasi, Jessica Moore, and Ann Strother the following year at the U-19 level.
And my point was about College coaches and Barbara Nelson is that.

Reaction Score
The U-18 and U-19 teams have always been coached by college coaches and off course other coaches have always complained including when Geno Auriemma was the coach back in 2000 and 2001. The rules didn't change then, and aren't likely to change on the women's side any time soon.

A U-18 or U-19 team isn't really comparable to the Nike Hoop Sumitt at all. And big name college coaches do coach the U-18 and U-19 teams on the men's side as well. Men's U-18 coach this summer was Billy Donovan with Mark Few and Shaka Smart on his staff. Take a look at who else has coached U-18 teams.

I know of 7 coaches personally that had an issue with Katie Meyer coaching the U-18 team and felt that it gave her and Miami an unfair recruiting advantage as she was able to interact with both the U17 & U18 team. Each coach felt that she should not have been "recruiting" players at the trials nor in Florida. I don't know how it's been in the past with girl and USA basketball and high school kids but the boys have the Nike Hoop Summit every year in Portland, OR, high school kids dawn the USA jerseys play against the "World" team comprising of international select players. NBA coaches can attend college coaches not and it is always coached by HS coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom