U17 USA vs China Bronze Medal Game 12:30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U17 USA vs China Bronze Medal Game 12:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A few final thoughts on this U17 team:
1) I am beginning to think Mike Flynn might be correct that US does not have an olympic caliber Guard play in classes 2016-18 and this may determine US Medal basketball medal fortunes over the next couple of years. Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker, & Christyn Williams are the only true contenders- Bottom Line: Geno has a very calibrated eye!
2) How bad was the US coaching for this group? If you go back and look at ALL of the US games the corners were NEVER occupied on either the ball or the weak side. For those who are thinking: Why occupy the corners when you do not have elite shooters? By not occupying the corners you exponentially help the defense because the defense is never out of help position and the never have to hustle to close out on the baseline jumpers & post entry passes will always be contested. The net result was that top US bigs shot only 40% on what were essentially layups or shot attempts not greater than 6 feet rom the basket.
3) Speaking of bigs a couple of names to keep in mind. Ezi Magbegor-Australia and Xu Han- China were the best post players in the tournament and at times significantly outplayed the US post which included ( Bailey, Collier, Prince, & Nelson-Ododa. Ezi was tournament MVP and Han made the All- Tournament team.
4) I strongly agree with @Sluconn Husky that UCONN needs to get in on Nelson-Ododa and while they are at it give Maya Dodson a first/second look also. Makes sense for UCONN right? First name Maya , from Georgia, incredible defensive versatility- That kid defended baseline to baseline from PG to Post Players and flashed great offensive skills.
5) I hope this experience has not soured Sam Brunelle on USA basketball. Sam only played a total 25 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS
Top Bottom