U17 USA vs China Bronze Medal Game 12:30 | The Boneyard

U17 USA vs China Bronze Medal Game 12:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA leads 11-7 over China after 1st qtr. USA Shooting woes continue. Shooting 1-8 on 3 point shots. USA shooting percentage is 26% ( 5-19)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Halftime USA up 28-18 and only shooting 32%. I dont think this is one of our better Team USA teams we have sent forward.

Reaction Score
It is really sad that this is the best coaching staff that USA Basketball can put together.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really really do not understand this coach. Streaming for me has died, but watching the live stats Williams comes out for the second half on fire and is promptly taken to the bench, Collier plays two minutes in the first half going two for two with 2 rebounds (one offensive) and a steal and is anchored to the bench. The rotation just doesn't make any sense to me.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Game is on ESPNU, at least in NC.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA leads China 46-43. USA did have a 12 point lead and let China have a run at end of 3rd quarter to make it a single possession game.

USA playing poor defense.

Reaction Score
USA wins, but pretty ugly. Can't see how this experience helped anyone improve significantly....

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Wins Bronze beating China 65-50. With 5 minutes to play it was a 2 point game and then USA pulled away for the win.

Some of the USA Players are considered studs and rated as the Top Players in their class. Don't see it for the majority.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
USA Wins Bronze beating China 65-50. With 5 minutes to play it was a 2 point game and then USA pulled away for the win.

Some of the USA Players are considered studs and rated as the Top Players in their class. Don't see it for the majority.
I think it really comes down to coaching - they just never looked like they really knew what they were supposed to be doing, often getting in each others way and making it easy for the defense.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Maybe its time for the USA Girls program to do what the Boys have done. They have a permanent coach on staff for the U16 & U17 teams. Got to get some consistency with coaching. Both last years U16 and this years U17 team were poorly coached and too many times didn't know what they were doing on the court. Can't blame the missed shots on the coaching staff, but for all other facets of the game you can.

Also I think USA BB has to go back to only inviting 35 players into the trials instead of having open invitations where 125+ players show up. Waste 3-4 days on evaluations to get down to a manageable number. Have regional camps during the prior year and select the players from the Regional Camps to attend the trials at Colo Springs.

Reaction Score
Mikesell, who played very little in earlier games, led the US in scoring today with 15 pts. (5 of 9 from 3).
Makes one wonder if she could have made a difference in the Australian game.
Overall, I would rate the top performers for the US in the tournament this way.
Williams - has a complete game
Nelson-Ododa - athletic and talented at 6'4". Very impressive this tournament.
Dodson - very athletic, a real mid range jumper with a very high release point.
Questions about the following:
Uber athletic DeCosta plays out of control sometimes but plays with such energy that with more experience /coaching is certainly a recruit to consider.
Collier got very little playing time for a top ranked prospect. Seemed as though she felt compelled to make something happen immediately and forced things a bit. It wouldn't dissuade me from recruiting her.

Reaction Score
Mikesell, who played very little in earlier games, led the US in scoring today with 15 pts. (5 of 9 from 3).
Makes one wonder if she could have made a difference in the Australian game.
Overall, I would rate the top performers for the US in the tournament this way.
Williams - has a complete game
Nelson-Ododa - athletic and talented at 6'4". Very impressive this tournament.
Dodson - very athletic, a real mid range jumper with a very high release point.
Questions about the following:
Uber athletic DeCosta plays out of control sometimes but plays with such energy that with more experience /coaching is certainly a recruit to consider.
Collier got very little playing time for a top ranked prospect. Seemed as though she felt compelled to make something happen immediately and forced things a bit. Iwouldn't dissuade me from recruiting her.

Not sure how much you can judge players based on these international competitions.........I'm pretty sure that all of the girls playing will be wanted at the highest collegiate level..........can't forget that this was also a very young team so there is much room for growth...........

Reaction Score
Not sure how much you can judge players based on these international competitions....I'm pretty sure that all of the girls playing will be wanted at the highest collegiate level.....can't forget that this was also a very young team so there is much room for growth......

Halalualua--You are so correct.
As NAN has said to me (once twice or more) Jeeez ! These are kids 15/16/17 years old. No where should one expect perfection. I disagree with Bags-that there wasn't much to learn from this experience--if they have the interest they can learn a few things--they need better defense as individuals (Geno's pet phrase), and to score under pressure and to play as a team (coaching and use of players)
However, I come from the school that says: If you have a team of talented players then blame the coaching and the preparation OR chemistry. Does the USA need more together time in the future??

Reaction Score
Not sure how much you can judge players based on these international competitions....I'm pretty sure that all of the girls playing will be wanted at the highest collegiate level.....can't forget that this was also a very young team so there is much room for growth......

Agreed. That's why I prefaced my remarks with "in this tournament".
Just my evaluation on how they played in these few games. Though I do think that Williams is the best player of this group.

Reaction Score
Agreed. That's why I prefaced my remarks with "in this tournament".
Just my evaluation on how they played in these few games. Though I do think that Williams is the best player of this group.

This USA team clearly had no superstar that stood out from all the rest but I would agree that Williams was as close to a go to player as the US team had followed by Nelson Ododa and perhaps Dodson............I still wonder if AEH would have made a difference with her outside shot............just goes to show that the World has really caught up to the US at least on the women's side of the game

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I really really do not understand this coach. Streaming for me has died, but watching the live stats Williams comes out for the second half on fire and is promptly taken to the bench, Collier plays two minutes in the first half going two for two with 2 rebounds (one offensive) and a steal and is anchored to the bench. The rotation just doesn't make any sense to me.
I said something similar while watching them play the Czech. Some of the line ups seemed just weird. Like the coaching staff wasn't aware of who's strengths were what and who should play with who. Overall the showing was a bit disappointing not necessarily in reference to bronze but more so to how we looked.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, Australia demolished Italy for Gold so they were truly the class of the competition - final score 62-38. Impressive run by them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It's a bit disconcerting that a team that had trouble scoring couldn't get Collier in the game. Unless we hear something is wrong with her physically, that leaves a mark for me. After all, she is the #1 player in her class according to multiple sources.

Nelson-Ododa would seem to have an enormous upside with her length, mobility, athleticism, skill, and IQ. I think she's a better fit for UConn despite Collier's offensive skills.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's a bit disconcerting that a team that had trouble scoring couldn't get Collier in the game. Unless we hear something is wrong with her physically, that leaves a mark for me. After all, she is the #1 player in her class according to multiple sources.

Nelson-Ododa would seem to have an enormous upside with her length, mobility, athleticism, skill, and IQ. I think she's a better fit for UConn despite Collier's offensive skills.
I am not taking anything from either the trial selections or the play of this team to be a good evaluation tool just as I didn't get a good sense from last year either. Dodson, Bailey, and Ododa were the preferred front line with deCosta the only sub getting any serious minutes. But Ododa was the only one that shot above 40% which is pretty dreadful for forward/centers and the only guard getting serious minutes off the bench was Prohaska (13 min/gm) and she was shooting 30%/23%. The rest of the bench was under 10 min/gm and seemed frequently to get those minutes in 2 minute stretches. None of them looked great on defense, none of them except DeCosta seemed to rebound well (and especially as a team), and none of them looked really good on offense. Williams was the only one that looked to me to be 'playing her game'.
Looking forward to a new coaching staff, because through the two years with this one I didn't see a plan.

Reaction Score
just looked at final stats..............USA had no one that finished in first or second place in scoring, rebounding, assists or efficiency...............

Reaction Score
Watching U17 USA men's team in final..............complete and utter domination over Turkish team.....superb inside and outside shooting, gorgeous passing, countless fast breaks, excellent man to man defense, numerous steals, impressive blocked shots, total control of the boards...................everything that the women's team failed to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom