U17 Qtr Finals USA vs France 3PM | The Boneyard

U17 Qtr Finals USA vs France 3PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what I can tell, if they play a decent game they should win this one by 8-12 points.........let's hope they have better luck then the last USA team to play the French (U18 3x3)!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Surprising Qtr Final Results

Spain lost to China 55-51

Probably not a surprise but I was hoping Canada would beat Italy, but they lost 58-56

Australia demolished Czech Rep. 83-53 and should make the Gold Medal Game

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA leads France 17-14 after 1st qtr. Game should not be this close.

Haven't found the live stats page yet.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the USA is up 28-27 at halftime.

Reaction Score
28-27 USA leads at halftime. France is running picks and screens for days. USA does not look to have an offensive set. They may have the height advantage, but France is no pushover.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Live Stats: FIBA Live Statistics

too much individual play by team USA. Shooting 28% with 13 TO's Like the other games so many missed layups.

Will be shocked if this team wins the Gold Medal. Have faith they'll win this game.

Reaction Score
I know that these are 17U kids, but aren't they supposed to be elite 17Us? C. Williams was the lone bright spot, but she doesn't demand the ball. USA doesn't have any post game at all. I would like to see who the next 12 girls are who could have made this team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA leads 44-38 after 3 quarters. USA IMHO playing poorly but still has so much more talent then France. They should win, but need to pull out to a bigger lead at the start of 4th qtr.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
5 Minutes played in 4th Qtr. USA has scored 6 points France 7. so many missed opportunities by both teams.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Wins 56-45 holding France to 7 points in the 4th Qtr. They scored 12.

Nelson-Ododa is a nice player but needs to learn how to make Free throws before getting into College.

Live Stats: FIBA Live Statistics

Have to somehow remember these aren't college players and I shouldn't hold them to the same standard. For many first time in International play since this is almost a completely different team then last years U16 Team. Still to miss so many point blank shots. Don't know how to finish with the physical play.

USA plays Australia in Friday's Semi-final Game. Will be a tough match-up.

Reaction Score
They aren't college players but they are the best of the best in their age group so no reason not to hit 65%-70% from the foul line or miss many uncontested layups this far into the tournament

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
USA Wins 56-45 holding France to 7 points in the 4th Qtr. They scored 12.

Nelson-Ododa is a nice player but needs to learn how to make Free throws before getting into College.

If the biggest quibble about her game is FT shooting she's going to be just fine. I think she has a chance to be pretty special. Not many 6-4, long players can move around the court like that.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't know if Collier is hurt or just not fitting in, but she's barely played, or contributed when she has, outside of one big game early on. Prince and Brunelle rarely see the court either.

Still love Brunelle's potential, and would take Williams and Nelson-Ododa in a heartbeat.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Couple of observations:
In the USA zone offense, for some reason Williams was anchored to the foul line spot for long stretches in the center of the zone where she was being dwarfed by the French defense - and was ineffective. That is a much better spot for someone with greater height who can see (and pass) over the defense as they collapse on her. Otherwise Williams seems to be the player most comfortable with her play, not overthinking and reacting instinctively.
Brunette spends about half of her limited time on the court looking to the bench for instruction - they seem to have her completely confused. She also seems to be a designated spot up three point shooter as she seldom leaves a very limited area outside the arc on offense.
The zone defense looks pretty strange to me and gets unbalanced quite quickly as they appear to almost double who ever has the ball at the 10/2 o'clock positions on the arc - France seemed to be able to get wide open threes from the opposite side or from either corner.
I get the sense they are a little 'over coached' - as a team there isn't a lot of flow and with a few exceptions they seem to be overthinking much of the time. I know the prep time is short and they are young and inexperienced in picking up new systems quickly, but I think good coaching can both create a level of discipline to a system and a freedom to execute that seems to be missing.
I still don't understand the substitution patterns.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Couple of observations:
In the USA zone offense, for some reason Williams was anchored to the foul line spot for long stretches in the center of the zone where she was being dwarfed by the French defense - and was ineffective. That is a much better spot for someone with greater height who can see (and pass) over the defense as they collapse on her. Otherwise Williams seems to be the player most comfortable with her play, not overthinking and reacting instinctively.
Brunette spends about half of her limited time on the court looking to the bench for instruction - they seem to have her completely confused. She also seems to be a designated spot up three point shooter as she seldom leaves a very limited area outside the arc on offense.
The zone defense looks pretty strange to me and gets unbalanced quite quickly as they appear to almost double who ever has the ball at the 10/2 o'clock positions on the arc - France seemed to be able to get wide open threes from the opposite side or from either corner.
I get the sense they are a little 'over coached' - as a team there isn't a lot of flow and with a few exceptions they seem to be overthinking much of the time. I know the prep time is short and they are young and inexperienced in picking up new systems quickly, but I think good coaching can both create a level of discipline to a system and a freedom to execute that seems to be missing.
I still don't understand the substitution patterns.
Agree with all your observations. I'm just going to be a little more Blunt: USA talent is overwhelming. All the other teams seem better organized -offensively, defensively & with substitution. The overwhelming talent will probably prevail but I would be surprised if it doesn't.

Reaction Score
Agree with all your observations. I'm just going to be a little more Blunt: USA talent is overwhelming. All the other teams seem better organized -offensively, defensively & with substitution. The overwhelming talent will probably prevail but I would be surprised if it doesn't.

Maybe the USA needs to hire a foreign coach the way we do it in soccer........they most likely know the international game better then just a good American high school coach

Reaction Score
Maybe the USA needs to hire a foreign coach the way we do it in soccer...they most likely know the international game better then just a good American high school coach

If hope you were not referring to Dori as an example of a " Good high school coach". Her Mt Leb team put together 3 good season and she was hired off those results. Her record both before and after those seasons are mediocre at best. I suspect her 3 good seasons were a fluke and overly impressed the committee who appointed her. In one of those seasons she upset an injury hampered Bishop OHare in the state finals who had won the Nike tourn in Arizona while at full strength. She is way over her head and is clueless in respect to handling a team with a lot of good players. Too methodical and doesn't make quick in game adjustments to take advantage of the number of talented players she has available.

Reaction Score
If hope you were not referring to Dori as an example of a " Good high school coach". Her Mt Leb team put together 3 good season and she was hired off those results. Her record both before and after those seasons are mediocre at best. I suspect her 3 good seasons were a fluke and overly impressed the committee who appointed her. In one of those seasons she upset an injury hampered Bishop OHare in the state finals who had won the Nike tourn in Arizona while at full strength. She is way over her head and is clueless in respect to handling a team with a lot of good players. Too methodical and doesn't make quick in game adjustments to take advantage of the number of talented players she has available.

I know nothing about the team's coaches, just assumed that they had to be pretty good at their craft in order to get such a prestigious job..........doesn't sound like you think that is the case!!!! There are a heck of a lot of great high school coaches out there, I can name at least eight of them right here in New Jersey............I assume politics plays a part in this as it often seems to in sports at the high school level.

Reaction Score
CharlieBBall- I just happened to follow high school basketball much more closely back in 2008, 09, and 01. It is obvious to me that she was appointed after three good years that were in retrospect a result of a combination of a good class of players ( which included Madison Cable - who was a really good high school player) and circumstances that allowed that team to make a rep by beating an injured ( Bishop O Hare) team that won the Nike Tourn. in Arizona at the beginning of the year, in the state championship. It was a perfect storm by which the committee obviously was enamored with her. A small school knocking off a national high school power. Her 2009 and 10 teams were pretty good. However, her record before 2008 and after 2010 mostly hovered around 50% in a weak league. I really like to give coaches the benefit of the doubt except in the case of ( finding Dori).

Watching her in action- her substitutions and instructions on the sidelines were what I used for my take on her abilities. She seems like a typical middle tier high school coach who is only used to running a team with little depth. She appears to make her game plans ( this includes substitution patterns )prior to each game and doesn't adjust according to the play of the players.

Reaction Score
CharlieBBall- I just happened to follow high school
Watching her in action- her substitutions and instructions on the sidelines were what I used for my take on her abilities. She seems like a typical middle tier high school coach who is only used to running a team with little depth. She appears to make her game plans ( this includes substitution patterns )prior to each game and doesn't adjust according to the play of the players.

Well I suppose if the results for this year's teams aren't great her coaching skills will be more heavily scrutinized.......I'm sure the powers that be would not be pleased with anything less then gold unless one of the other teams that won it was actually superior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom