U.S. vs China? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U.S. vs China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thirty-seven assists! That's the kind of Olympic record you want.

Points is a good record, too, though.

Reaction Score
From USA Today:

"A note to everyone who is asking this question or wondering if the incredible performances Auriemma’s teams in college or the Olympics are bad for the game: It’s a sexist question. It’s a stupid question. Stop asking."​

Reaction Score
NBC showed a pre-game interview with DT during the 3rd quarter, said they would show our game after conclusion of the women's marathon. Now they're saying 1:15 (regular NBC channel).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wonder if the UConn parents get together in Rio the way they did in Storrs.
Word is that all the friends and family for both men and women got berths on the ship if they wanted them - I suspect they did, so probably everyone is hanging out together.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I skimmed thru the thread - I noticed EDD did not play. Did not see why in the thread. Did I miss it? If not, anyone know why?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ugh poor kid. I hope she's all right...

She's fine. It just swelled up a little. It was Catchings that got her.

"I told her she's avoided contact her whole life shooting three-pointers," U.S. coach Geno Auriemma said. "Now she's over here being a tough guy in the lane, she's being physical, people are trying to beat her up in warm-ups, so her reputation is starting to grow."

Reaction Score
USA vs Japan Tuesday 5:45 PM ET

These are really good basketball players. Japan is no slouch, having defeated France yesterday. Ramu Tokashiki is a teammate of Sue's and Breanna's in Seattle. And she's not the star of the team.

If it weren't for the overwhelming talent of the US team, we would begin to see how talented these overseas players really are. Perhaps we'll really see a much closer parity in four years' time. Let's see how well we do when Sue and Dee are no longer there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

"I told her she's avoided contact her whole life shooting three-pointers," U.S. coach Geno Auriemma said. "Now she's over here being a tough guy in the lane, she's being physical, people are trying to beat her up in warm-ups, so her reputation is starting to grow."
Where was this quote from - love it!

Reaction Score
I skimmed thru the thread - I noticed EDD did not play. Did not see why in the thread. Did I miss it? If not, anyone know why?

From the Hartford Courant: U.S. rolls again in women's basketball, routs China 105-62

"About the only thing that went wrong for the Americans Sunday happened before the game even started. Elena Delle Donne was accidentally poked in the eye by Tamika Catchings during warmups and didn't play. Delle Donne spent most of the first quarter icing her right eye.

"'I couldn't see at the beginning,' said Delle Donne, who still had some redness on her cheekbone after the game. 'Be good to go for the next one for sure.'"

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

What a cheap way to get more playing time.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG with her best game of the Olympics: 18 points on 9-11 shooting, 13 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block. This was one of the first games in which I saw her focus on getting rebounds less than trying to guard the entire lane and helping out so much on defense.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Let's see how well we do when Sue and Dee are no longer there.

Probably not. There will be players who step in just like has always happened and the US will continue to kick everyone's butt. We have some really good US players who could have provided some different but very effective skills, such as Loyd, Sims, Jefferson, Sloot, Ogwumike, Howard, Mitchell, McBride, Alexis Jones, etc. We will still have the greatest collection of players in the world, by far. EDD, Charles, Griner, Stewart and probably Fowles will still be available in the middle. Oh yeah, and we will still have Maya Moore.

The starters might have to play a little longer but who is going to beat a team with a starting five of Charles, BG, Moore, Whalen and Loyd? That is my prediction for the starting 5 in 2020.

I just wish a young guard or two had been added to the 2016 team to get some Olympic experience.

Reaction Score
Probably not. There will be players who step in just like has always happened and the US will continue to kick everyone's butt. We have some really good US players who could have provided some different but very effective skills, such as Loyd, Sims, Jefferson, Sloot, Ogwumike, Howard, Mitchell, McBride, Alexis Jones, etc. We will still have the greatest collection of players in the world, by far. EDD, Charles, Griner, Stewart and probably Fowles will still be available in the middle. Oh yeah, and we will still have Maya Moore.

The starters might have to play a little longer but who is going to beat a team with a starting five of Charles, BG, Moore, Whalen and Loyd? That is my prediction for the starting 5 in 2020.

I just wish a young guard or two had been added to the 2016 team to get some Olympic experience.
Brittney, EDD, Stewie, up front, Maya, and either Sims, or probably Moriah at PG my prediction to start in 2020. You have size. and quickness up front, with EDD, and Stewie who can shoot the 3 , and handle the ball. Maya who will make a great shooting guard, with either Sims, or Moriah, who both are quick with the ability to penetrate, and dish. Plus with Stewie, and EDD, Brittney isn't the only rim protector. They also should open up the inside for Brittney.

Reaction Score
Word is that all the friends and family for both men and women got berths on the ship if they wanted them - I suspect they did, so probably everyone is hanging out together.
UC, do you know who is paying for the floating hotel?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UC, do you know who is paying for the floating hotel?
No idea, but it is also being used by a bunch of the big shots with the Olympic committee and I think the IOC plus likely some of the high rollers, so while the USA basketball folks are likely contributing I don't think they are footing the majority of the bill.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Bill is likely being footed by USABBall... Dunno if folks have to pay for guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom