Tyrese Martin. He has played incredibly well without Bouknight. | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin. He has played incredibly well without Bouknight.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He has played incredibly well without Bouknight. It is really hard for a #2 option to become the #1 option overnight because not just does the player have to player better, but he has to do that while becoming the focus of the opposing defense and learning the ISO plays from the perspective of the person being ISO'd. It is not easy to replace a primary scorer that was over double the #2 in terms of PPG. We had trouble doing this even going back to some of our really good teams, like the 2004 team. Whenever Okafor was having back problems, that team's offense ground to a halt.

Even when a new #1 option steps up after an injury, you typically see that player's scoring go up and shooting percentages go down as he takes more shots but also draws the other team's top defenders and help D. Martin has gone the opposite direction. He is shooting better and getting to the line more since Bouk got hurt.

This is really impressive.

Reaction Score
He's finishing a lot better around the rim compared to earlier in the year when he was missing a lot of layups which is definitely helping his cause. He could still use some improvement at the FT line but that's true of the whole team. I've been surprised by the 3 point shooting but his confidence is high and teams are giving him some space out there, glad he can make them pay.

Reaction Score
He has played incredibly well without Bouknight. It is really hard for a #2 option to become the #1 option overnight because not just does the player have to player better, but he has to do that while becoming the focus of the opposing defense and learning the ISO plays from the perspective of the person being ISO'd. It is not easy to replace a primary scorer that was over double the #2 in terms of PPG. We had trouble doing this even going back to some of our really good teams, like the 2004 team. Whenever Okafor was having back problems, that team's offense ground to a halt.

Even when a new #1 option steps up after an injury, you typically see that player's scoring go up and shooting percentages go down as he takes more shots but also draws the other team's top defenders and help D. Martin has gone the opposite direction. He is shooting better and getting to the line more since Bouk got hurt.

He just has to be more consistent looking for his shot. Some games he just dissapears from the offense like Creighton away game. Sorry i don't know why i said xavier. Even though he had 11 it very quiet and i felt he wasn't looking for his shot like he did against Butler. He also had a bad game against st. John's but that was more due to his shot 4-14 then not being aggressive as in the Creighton game. If Martin is doing well and driving to the baaket we seem to win. I like to see the Butler Martin and not the Creighton one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He reminds me a lot of Sir Edmund Saunders in the way he plays. Saunders was never the go-to guy so I agree Martin is doing well trying to carry the load.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I think he plays better when he uses what's given instead of forcing the issue. A mid-range shot, if he doesn't have it, would help. Some of those drives into the line would be better served with a stop & pop. But overall I'm happy with the progression of his game.

Reaction Score
As soon as he realizes during games that he is too strong and athletic for anyone else on the opposing team, he takes over and starts driving and bullying. he is a different dimension. also very happy to see him fix some of his layup finishes. he is exactly what I expected of him when he transferred here because he has the physical capabilities to do everything on the court.

the value of having someone like him on the team is tremendous. he is built like a running back and has the ability to either go up strong or be fancy when needed.

Reaction Score
It's crazy...but I think Martin has definitely established himself as our best player after Bouk. Did not see that coming at the beginning of the season. He had a tendency to play out of control early in the season but has settled down a bit. If he can finish at the rim consistently and hit free throws at 70%+ (was 4-4 Tuesday night), he should easily be a 15+ ppg guy when Bouk is out and a really good Robin to Bouk's Batman once he's back.

Reaction Score

Agree 100%. He hasn't been perfect, but it's clear he's attempting to take on the responsibility of being the go to guy.

Considering he's a newcomer, it's even more admirable.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The growth of Martin, RJ and Sanogo in Bouk's absence will be what turns us into a Sweet 16+ team. We are developing a lot of different options. Polley getting hot at the right time could make us a final four team.

We have the defense and the rebounding and we're building the multi dimensional offense you wont be able to scheme to take away.

Reaction Score
I think martin has a lot of game and am very impressed with his moves for a bigger guy. If he can just tighten up his free throws and missed bunnies, I think he has a chance to be first or second team all big East next year. He pretty much can do everything. Rebound, break u down off dribble, get to the rack. Hit the three. Play tuff d , gives a great effort Etc.... when was the last time we had a guy of his make-up- show moves like that? what a great pickup he’s been.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He's finishing a lot better around the rim compared to earlier in the year when he was missing a lot of layups which is definitely helping his cause. He could still use some improvement at the FT line but that's true of the whole team. I've been surprised by the 3 point shooting but his confidence is high and teams are giving him some space out there, glad he can make them pay.

He is not perfect. He misses a lot of layups and too often he misses wide open players with his passes in transition. His emergence is really more attitude than ability, because if you break his skills down he is really just a complementary player. But when you watch him play, he just has "game".

UConn won its first championship with a short, out of shape, point guard with short arms that couldn't jump and was a streaky shooter to put it kindly. I don't think there is another point guard in the country I would have wanted on that 1999 team instead of Khalid El-Amin. Some players just have "game".

Reaction Score
He is not perfect. He misses a lot of layups and too often he misses wide open players with his passes in transition. His emergence is really more attitude than ability, because if you break his skills down he is really just a complementary player. But when you watch him play, he just has "game".

UConn won its first championship with a short, out of shape, point guard with short arms that couldn't jump and was a streaky shooter to put it kindly. I don't think there is another point guard in the country I would have wanted on that 1999 team instead of Khalid El-Amin. Some players just have "game".
I wouldn't exactly say Khalid was out of shape. At 5'10 sure he was stocky but he was a great athlete. You have to be pretty quick if you're only 5'10". Some athletes can carry a few extra pounds and still be in great shape.

Note: Midway through the video they gave the play of the game to vonteego cummings. oops.

Reaction Score
It is annoying that Bouk got hurt, but helped clarify roles and when he comes back I think our Offense will be very well-balanced.

Option 1 : Bouk off screens or off dribble
Option 2 : Tyrese Iso or spot up
Option 3 : Pitch it to Sanogo for a post move
Option 4 : Polley off screens or spot up

All 4 of those options/plays are high efficiency and diverse, so a defense can't really key on any one thing for too long. And of course we can grab 40% of our rebounds which is even better.

What's nice is that you can basically craft rotations so that 2 of the 4 are always on the court, which will also balance our bench lineups.

Its not a guarantee, but you can see the makings of a sweet 16/elite 8 run with those weapons and solid defense if things break right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom