Tyrese Martin’s “athleticism” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin’s “athleticism”

Reaction Score
His run jump athleticism isn’t the problem, his rough touch around the basket is. He is a tough kid who plays hard and who you love to have in your program, but if he is your 2nd or 3rd best option on offense then that’s a problem

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I would love an analysis into where Martin is looking when he is driving the ball to the hoop. It'd be shocking to me if he was looking at the rim or the backboard, my guess is he is looking at the defender trying to figure out how to avoid the contact.

Reaction Score
TM can board. I actually think he was surprised at the upgrade in the competition/athleticism that he faced this year and needs to work on explosion/fast twitch leg work. Its one thing to dunk on a breakaway with no defenders and quite another when you're surrounded by quick leapers who are in your face on the put back.

His contributions were valuable this year but would like to see some growth this off-season with some SnC on his lower body/legs..He's a lunch pail kind of guy and I can see why DH values him being on the floor for boards/D.

Reaction Score
The dude is a tight end playing basketball. I don't think he is a gifted natural at basketball but he is unquestionably a great athlete with a high motor. I think he could be the next Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham if he wanted to go that route.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of what happens is guys commit to layups too early. They begin their approach at like the foul line. If they took one more dribble, their jump would be more vertical than having to try and close the gap between where they jump and where the hoop is. Could be product of the fact that refs seems to be itching to call everything a charge now at the hoop.. so guys try and get airborn sooner to get the blocking call. But it gives the defensive bigs another step to get in position and jump straight up. Same was happening to Cole and last year to AG. I like TM. He just waned down the stretch. He had some great open looks that were bricks that seemed to be going in a lot more earlier on in the season. But always kept energy up on the boards. Ayala may have just been a mismatch for him.

Reaction Score
Tyrese is an interesting player. 11 rebounds, but only 2 points yesterday. If he contributed even 8 points (about 2/3 of his season average) it would have been a very different game.

I love how hard Tyrese plays. Same with Jackson. Perhaps I am too optimistic, but I think we have a nice returning group to build around with Cole, Gaffney, Jackson, Martin, Akok, and Sanogo. To be really good, they all need to continue to develop, but we certainly have some nice building blocks.

It was painful to watch him just hang out in the empty corner. So. Many. Times. Was he not moving with the offense as he should've been? Was he there to take a shot and no one ever passed to him?

It was painful.

Reaction Score
Regardless of his plays at the rim which need improvement, I feel he has to work on four things to be a more complete offensive player; 1) the obvious is 3 point shooting but 2) a floater a la Jeremy Lamb from the corners after a hard close out on his 3 point shot 3) a post up game especially when we go small and finally... free throw shooting. He has to hit between 75-80% to be on the offensive end late in games.

Reaction Score
Tyrese is an interesting player. 11 rebounds, but only 2 points yesterday. If he contributed even 8 points (about 2/3 of his season average) it would have been a very different game.

I love how hard Tyrese plays. Same with Jackson. Perhaps I am too optimistic, but I think we have a nice returning group to build around with Cole, Gaffney, Jackson, Martin, Akok, and Sanogo. To be really good, they all need to continue to develop, but we certainly have some nice building blocks.
Other than Sanogo, I don’t see the scoring punch we need in that group.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I like this post, primarily for so much of what followed it. There were analytical takes, prescriptions for improvement, appreciations, and seemingly more room for a variety of perspectives than usual.

I got a clear sense that many here saw a lot that they like in Tyrese and want more...and think it's possible. That's very encouraging.

I don't know which suggested changes will work the best, but I do think there's a lot to work with. In many games, he struck me as someone who should be drawing fouls left & right by going with strength right to the basket. If he does that, I think that more shots will go in, AND I hope he puts in the reps to up his FT percentage for the additional trips he'll take to the line.

Reaction Score
Other than Sanogo, I don’t see the scoring punch we need on that group.
Every returning player in that group is capable of scoring 15-20 on a given night, in fact I'm fairly certain all 6 of them have. Akok is the great unknown. Prior to his injury he was truly an impact player on the defensive end of the floor and this year against Xavier his offense looked fantastic. Nonetheless, we have no idea what we will be getting from him next year and I think that's a huge wild card or X factor.

Reaction Score
Every returning player in that group is capable of scoring 15-20 on a given night, in fact I'm fairly certain all 6 of them have. Akok is the great unknown. Prior to his injury he was truly an impact player on the defensive end of the floor and this year against Xavier his offense looked fantastic. Nonetheless, we have no idea what we will be getting from him next year and I think that's a huge wild card or X factor.
My concern is when it’s not a 15-20 point GIVEN night. Those nights happen too often with this group.

Reaction Score
My concern is when it’s not a 15-20 point GIVEN night. Those nights happen too often with this group.
You will get no argument from me on that, I said capable, not consistent. But it's nice to know that a handful of returning guys have that capability. It certainly beats the converse. But I get your point about none being locks to score big outside of Cole who is nearly a given.

What I love about this team is that we have so many potential weapons. Gaffney has shown flashes, Akok has too, Cole has lit it up on occasion, Martin has had 20 point games, Sanogo is a beast and such a likeable player, and Andre Jackson could become a highlight reel. Unproven, yes. But how can you not love this team?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom