Tyler Polley vs. Vance Jackson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley vs. Vance Jackson

Reaction Score
Spreading what? The team was terrible, especially offensively.

There's a term called "spreading the floor" which means that players stand far apart, often preferably behind the 3-point line, so that the defenders must spread out. The distance between the defenders is where the name comes from.

Reaction Score
The main issue in the Polley vs. Jackson debate isn't their career talents, it's the "championship window". Our best players, Adams and Larrier, have 2, possibly 1 years left. Ideally, we'd want to be peaking as a team during this year. Resetting the clock with the position (freshman Polley) hurts that, even if he is a better athlete or whatever, unless he's a day 1 stud. Same goes with replacing Enoch with a freshman. Need to have our talent on the same window.

JUCO or postgrad big could help with that, though, if the chemistry can be worked out.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think we have a clue because per Vance Sr, Vance's skill set was not properly utilized here. Once he starts throwing up triple/doubles all over the place in two years we'll have a better understanding of what we lost.

Sure, if he stands at half court and cherry picks like that LaMelo Ball kid.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I was very happy with how Vance played and progressed. His defensive footwork wasn't the best but he rebounded and pushed the ball. Had a nice inside and outside game

Same. It's a loss no matter which way you look at it. He was one of those guys who would have been awesome to have as a Jr Sr. Who knows tho, maybe his dad would have had him jump (lol) after his sophomore year.

Enoch, though the worse player, is the bigger loss of course, due to positional needs.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Vance is an objectively better player than Polley once you take jilted lover emotions out of the equation. However, intangibles matter.

Very true. My above two posts looked at Vance in a vacuum. Intangible factor is key. I don't have a good enough handle on the situation to determine how it would have shaken out of 4 years.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Larrier (3) and Vance (4) would be a far better combo than either of those.
Sure, but a lineup of AG-JA-MAL-TL and some center would probably be better than any lineup with TL and VJ.

We'll see. As I said, in the abstract I'd much prefer to have VJ. If there were locker-room issues, though, there's a chance we might come out better for this.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He was the worst defensive player I can recall at UConn.

He didn't average 4 RPG on a terrible team
in a terrible conference, that is hugely overrated with him.

Hell, he wasn't even the worst defender on his own team. Enoch was atrocious at that end of the court.

One thing is for certain. We lost nothing defensively with these two leaving. It's probably one of those rare addition by subtraction from a defensive standpoint. The caveat to that is we lose Enoch's five fouls.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sure, but a lineup of AG-JA-MAL-TL and some center would probably be better than any lineup with TL and VJ.

We'll see. As I said, in the abstract I'd much prefer to have VJ. If there were locker-room issues, though, there's a chance we might come out better for this.

In a vacuum, you are probably right. But we could really use MAL and Vital as back ups to the guards, and rotational at the 3 when Larrier comes out. Remember, we are talking about post ACL Larrier, and post shoulder Gilbert. These guys aren't 35+ minute players this year.

I just think TL is a bit light to defend the four at this point. Maybe not, jmo. He might be able to get to a Daniels stage at some point, but I don't think he's there yet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
JUCO or postgrad big could help with that, though, if the chemistry can be worked out.

Juco's and post grads are fine chemistry-wise imo. Worked out great with Kromah. It even worked with Gibbs and Miller, just not as well as we hoped. I submit it's because Gibbs was not the player we needed him to be, not from an overall talent standpoint, more from the point of what he was able to do. Ideally, he was a catch and shoot 2 guard vs the run-the-offense, drive and dish PG we needed.

Reaction Score
In a vacuum, you are probably right. But we could really use MAL and Vital as back ups to the guards, and rotational at the 3 when Larrier comes out. Remember, we are talking about post ACL Larrier, and post shoulder Gilbert. These guys aren't 35+ minute players this year.

I just think TL is a bit light to defend the four at this point. Maybe not, jmo. He might be able to get to a Daniels stage at some point, but I don't think he's there yet.

Let's get Blake Harris and then have another backup G for the 3 guard lineup...

Reaction Score
There isn't a single 2018 draft board that has Adams anywhere on it.

I know there is huge bias here, but unless he goes crazy next year I think he's here for 4. Not sure in Larrier. Depends on this upcoming season.

The main issue in the Polley vs. Jackson debate isn't their career talents, it's the "championship window". Our best players, Adams and Larrier, have 2, possibly 1 years left. Ideally, we'd want to be peaking as a team during this year. Resetting the clock with the position (freshman Polley) hurts that, even if he is a better athlete or whatever, unless he's a day 1 stud. Same goes with replacing Enoch with a freshman. Need to have our talent on the same window.

Reaction Score
How do we know yet on Polley vs. Vance? Vance might have been the worst defensive player at UConn in the last 10 years or more.

Yeah, but Larrier (3) and Vance (4) would be a far better combo than either of those.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How do we know yet on Polley vs. Vance? Vance might have been the worst defensive player at UConn in the last 10 years or more.

Again, not even on his own team. Enoch was far, far worse.

Reaction Score

I know there is huge bias here, but unless he goes crazy next year I think he's here for 4. Not sure in Larrier. Depends on this upcoming season.

Yeah I put 1-2 years because of the uncertainty. Not being on draftboards now doesn't really matter, especially if the team is much improved (like we hope, although who knows). Devonte Graham, Thornwell, Monte Morris, Jawun Evans, Jordan Bell, Semi Ojeleye weren't on draftboards last year but they're late 1st, high to mid 2nds now. If Adams feels the push from below, he may bolt either way, even if he's not ensured a pick.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

That's because we finished 16-17, and was still getting his legs as team leader. Wait til he blows up.

You're in a cohort of posters on this board who often look at things as static, not as they could or will be.

pj

Reaction Score
That's because we finished 16-17, and was still getting his legs as team leader. Wait til he blows up.

You're in a cohort of posters on this board who often look at things as static, not as they could or will be.

Jalen got a lot of assists for a guy playing with poor shooting, turnover prone teammates. Playing with a more talented group next year, he'll shine. Winning makes everyone look better. It wouldn't hurt if Jalen got his body more NBA-ready.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The main issue in the Polley vs. Jackson debate isn't their career talents, it's the "championship window".
I doubt anyone other than the most optimistic starry-eyed believers would think "championship window" for next year. And that would be true even with Jackson. I'd be pleased as punch if we could threaten, but I'm not holding my breath. This is about bringing in the right kids, with the right skills and the right attitude, and developing those skills while playing UConn hoop. You know, the kind where teams get so frustrated on their offensive end that they throw up unanswered prayers at the end of the shot clock, and on the other end their big problem is who should take the ball out of the basket after another make.

Can't tread water. Show me 22 or more wins with a top 2-3 league finish and a win or two in the NCAA tournament and that's the progress I want to see. More = better, and I'll love it if I get it.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Vance has some good skills and certainly could have been a real asset. As the season wound down, I was concerned that Vance's ceiling was significantly limited by his lack of quickness and lift. Polley seems more athletic and quicker, but who knows what kind of BBIQ he has. We obviously need both smarts and athletic talent and I'm not sure that Vance can significantly improve his quickness.

Reaction Score
Again, not even on his own team. Enoch was far, far worse.
Ok, he was the worst defender that played significant minutes. Enoch was such a train wreck, he was largely kept on the bench

Reaction Score
I posted this the other day on a different thread, but here you go: I'd say ultimately VJ and Tyler Phommachanh will have similar production - However, Tyler Phommachanh seems to fit more of the skill-set of the prototypical 3/4 UConn has been able to feature over the years with much success then VJ. He will probably need a year to grow into that ceiling though - think Deandre Daniel's career arc.

Some good video of the 3 new incoming freshmen here: A look at the UConn men’s basketball recruiting class: 2017-18

My take for anyone who cares: Disclaimer if you don't care and fancy yourself as an expert on everything just move on and save yourself the time in analyzing how of-base my analysis is.

MAL - Will be a good 15-20 minute guy keeping both AG and JA fresh next year with little drop-off when they hit the bench or get in foul trouble a big plus over the options KO was left with in such situations this year.

Polley - I've heard some DHam- Deandre Daniels comparisons, but as I watched the video I kept getting flashbacks to Rip Hamilton particularly the way he smoothly finishes at the rim on the break. Not enough video of him shooting to see if his touch and off the ball movement is close to Rip's, but physically and how he finishes he's very similar. I was pleasantly surprised - my guess is he will force himself into getting some major minutes and have some nice scoring games for us.

Carlton - Not a lot of video, but some good points can be drawn from it. He clearly has some understanding of offensive positioning, he has good hands for a big (always a plus), he has good body control attacking the rim, it's unclear how well he boxes out or protects the rim, but he's aggressive to the ball. My guess he will be a useful interior presence next year and not just by default. The soundness of the fundamentals I could pick up on seem to indicate he will be more then adequate in filling minutes for us at the 5 or 4.

Cobb - Not on video in the link above, but I've watched him play and supposedly he has slimmed down some but I think the number one thing he will bring to us is some interior toughness - how many productive minutes he will be able to give us per night playing with 4 jets most of the time remains to be seem, but he is a necessary piece we have been lacking the last several years.

Hopefully more to come, now that Chillious is on board!

Reaction Score
Juco's and post grads are fine chemistry-wise imo. Worked out great with Kromah. It even worked with Gibbs and Miller, just not as well as we hoped. I submit it's because Gibbs was not the player we needed him to be, not from an overall talent standpoint, more from the point of what he was able to do. Ideally, he was a catch and shoot 2 guard vs the run-the-offense, drive and dish PG we needed.
If Gibbs played beside a player like Shabazz, we'd love him here. As it was, he was a strong shooter, strong mentor, and loved the university. I have nothing but love for Miller and Gibbs.

Reaction Score

Aside from the fact that none of those guys can shoot.

The loss of Jackson takes away the one element we can't easily replace with the returning guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom