Tyler Polley’s mercurial UConn career is winding down | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley’s mercurial UConn career is winding down

Reaction Score
“Overall, I have loved him at UConn,” Rogers said by phone from her home in Miramar, Florida. “It was a great choice for him. He’s graduating in the spring. He came in and did exactly what he needed to do academically, which makes me extremely proud. Everyone at UConn, as far as basketball goes, has been great to Tyler.”

Alternate free access: Tyler Polley’s mercurial UConn career is winding down

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this article. I am glad Tyler will finally be able to play in the NCAA tournament along with Whaley and Carlton.

If Polley decides to come back next year, I have no objections. For Carlton, Whaley, and Polley they just need to weigh their options. If they can make some good $ overseas, I would urge them to go make that money, but if I am Hurley I am not forcing any of them out.

Reaction Score
“Overall, I have loved him at UConn,” Rogers said by phone from her home in Miramar, Florida. “It was a great choice for him. He’s graduating in the spring. He came in and did exactly what he needed to do academically, which makes me extremely proud. Everyone at UConn, as far as basketball goes, has been great to Tyler.”

Alternate free access: Tyler Polley’s mercurial UConn career is winding down
Paywall. Who is Roger's? Mother?

Very happy he's graduating. It's not as easy to do as an athlete as I once thought.

Reaction Score
Interesting.

Or will it? Like all seniors this year, Polley has been granted an extra year of eligibility, due to the mess that COVID-19 has created. He can return next season and not count against UConn’s 13-scholarship allotment.

It’s a decision his mom admits has been weighing on the 6-foot-9 senior. A little over a week ago, Polley, his mother and coaches Dan Hurley and Tom Moore met virtually to discuss the situation. Rogers, Hurley and Moore also spoke on a separate call.

“He’s been very stressed about making a decision,” Rogers noted. “I told him we can revisit that after the season. That’s the same thing the coaches told him: ‘Relax, have fun, enjoy your senior season. Whatever you decide to do, you have good options and we’ll revisit that after the season.’”

Reaction Score
Interesting.

Or will it? Like all seniors this year, Polley has been granted an extra year of eligibility, due to the mess that COVID-19 has created. He can return next season and not count against UConn’s 13-scholarship allotment.

It’s a decision his mom admits has been weighing on the 6-foot-9 senior. A little over a week ago, Polley, his mother and coaches Dan Hurley and Tom Moore met virtually to discuss the situation. Rogers, Hurley and Moore also spoke on a separate call.

“He’s been very stressed about making a decision,” Rogers noted. “I told him we can revisit that after the season. That’s the same thing the coaches told him: ‘Relax, have fun, enjoy your senior season. Whatever you decide to do, you have good options and we’ll revisit that after the season.’”
Personally, the only reason I'd come back would be to finish degree. Apparently that's not an issue. If it were me (and it's not) there's no chance I'm coming back. If more basketball was my plan I'd be heading overseas.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I knew kids had another year. Didn't know they didn't even count against the scholarship allotment

Could Vital have returned for this season?

Reaction Score
If Tyler has a Neils Giffeye tournament BE and NCAA then by all means go but maybe he can make himself a more consistent shooter which makes his stock go up. I can’t imagine it’s very high right now.

Reaction Score
Polley wanna 3 its never too late, just needs one good game to get going.

Reaction Score
Honestly, all three seniors should listen to the coaches and get a feel for whether or not they are wanted.

Whaley is the hardest to say goodbye to. He’s a huge part of our success. He will get at least a chance at the NBA. I hope he stays, but I’m not sure there is anything in it for him unless he can really improve his offense and get himself drafted.

Carlton is headed over seas eventually. I don’t think there is anything he could do here to get himself a shot at the NBA. If he wants to stay, it should be to improve his skills and maybe get a master’s degree.

Polley should probably stay and try and become the player he can be. We need a shooter and with his mechanics and height, he should be much better in games than he is.

I’d love for all three to stay. I think we need them. We already lack shooters and when it comes to big men, we will be very thin without Josh and Isaiah. What if Sanogo got hurt? We’d be in deep trouble.

Reaction Score
I knew kids had another year. Didn't know they didn't even count against the scholarship allotment

No. Only players on this years roster get 1 free extra year (so even guys like cole, gaff, jackson all get a 5th year if they choose to stay that long)

Reaction Score

No. Last years seniors were not given that option.

Reaction Score
Tyler is an excellent shooter and a very likeable kid. He truly needs to find a way to get engaged and focused so that he doesn't completely disappear in some games. He is an absolute weapon when he is contributing. He could be an X factor for us if he can find a way to play like he did when he was the Big East Player of the Week.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I want Whaley back and I would take Tyler back too if he wanted to stay.

Reaction Score
Personally as much as I love Whaley and what an asset he would be next year I hope he can turn his past 2 years of solid play at UConn into making $ playing BB somewhere next year. He'll be 23 and he has maybe a 6 year window to make some good money playing overseas most likely if NBA is out of reach.

Polley could be a nice weapon next year and his pro prospects may not be that great. So I could see him coming back and getting a masters maybe but we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Paywall. Who is Roger's? Mother?

Very happy he's graduating. It's not as easy to do as an athlete as I once thought.
No paywall if you click on the "Alternate free access" link that I provided. I always do that. Figured everyone knew that. Makes it easier. Also, if you experience paywalls you can use outline.com to get around that. I thought everyone on here was familiar with that.

And yes, his mother.

Reaction Score
Personally as much as I love Whaley and what an asset he would be next year I hope he can turn his past 2 years of solid play at UConn into making $ playing BB somewhere next year. He'll be 23 and he has maybe a 6 year window to make some good money playing overseas most likely if NBA is out of reach.

Polley could be a nice weapon next year and his pro prospects may not be that great. So I could see him coming back and getting a masters maybe but we'll see what happens.
Why would Whaley only have a six year window of making good money playing overseas?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why would Whaley only have a six year window of making good money playing overseas?

He doesn't. But they all have a window, and anybody who goes back to college loses a year of making money. For a guy like Bouk, that may not matter. For Whaley? It may matter. Plus there is always injury risk.

Reaction Score
I mean lots of guys do five years in college if they redshirt a year. Pretty cool to have the fifth year option even having played four already. Tyler will do whats best for him and I'm sure this board will support him either way

Reaction Score
Personally, the only reason I'd come back would be to finish degree. Apparently that's not an issue. If it were me (and it's not) there's no chance I'm coming back. If more basketball was my plan I'd be heading overseas.
Even in 2021 Covid times? If it was next year, I'd agree. The world is crazy right now.

Reaction Score
Even in 2021 Covid times? If it was next year, I'd agree. The world is crazy right now.
I don't think Covid/2021 would change my mind. I can remember that time in life. I wanted to move on. Also, if I'm going through all the effort of practice I'd like to get paid for it. That's just me of course.

Reaction Score
I'd love to have Tyler back next season. The missed offseason with injury and covid really hurt him this year. We need shooters and getting a guy who can shoot 40% from 3 this late into the cycle is very hard to come by.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom