Tyler Matakevich AAC DPW vaults up in Butkis Award | The Boneyard

Tyler Matakevich AAC DPW vaults up in Butkis Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Temple’s Tyler Matakevich Vaults Up Butkus Award Class In Win Over Penn State
By Mike Gibson @papreps on September 6, 2015

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

On National Redhead Day, the most famous Temple football player with that color hair forced his way into the conversation for numerous college football awards this season — one in particular for being the nation’s best linebacker.

In fact, his might be the first name in the conversation. Ardent college football fans were already familiar with the name Tyler Matakevich, a first-team AAC pick from a season ago. Now, thanks to a nationally televised historic 27-10 beatdown of in-state rival Penn State before a sellout crowd at Lincoln Financial Field, the rest of the world knows all about him. He entered the game with 355 career tackles, the most among any active player in all five of college football’s divisions (FBS, FCS and Divisions I, II and III).

The 6-foot-1, 232-pound senior immediately vaulted to the head of the Butkus Award class with perhaps the most dominant game of his brilliant four-year career. Going into the game, many mock NFL drafts had Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg as the No. 1 overall player in the 2016 draft. Matakevich may have cost Hackenberg the several million dollars by sacking him three times, potentially knocking him down a few draft slots

On those occasions when he did not get a sack, Matakevich was in Hackenberg’s face, and was a major reason he went 11-of-25 for 103 yards in the game. With those sacks, Matakevich finished with seven tackles, including five for losses.

Most coaches do not call blitzes against perceived premier quarterbacks like Hackenberg because they are worried that a quick out could mean six the other way. Temple defensive coordinator Phil Snow calls them for Matakevich because he trusts his star to disrupt the play.

For the last three years, Matakevich has rewarded that trust with the kind of play that reminds old-timers of former Chicago Bears linebacker Dick Butkus, and it would be fitting that when the day comes to put another name on his award, it will go to Temple’s most prominent redhead.

For the last three years, Matakevich has rewarded that trust with the kind of play that reminds old-timers of former Chicago Bears linebacker Dick Butkus, and it would be fitting that when the day comes to put another name on his award, it will go to Temple’s most prominent redhead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
good for him. he's had a nice career and has gotten better every single season.
were he, Cherry (at 'Nova) and Stewart all in the same HS graduating class? 1 will definitely, and possibly all 3 could be, on NFL rosters, or at the very least all 3 will get a look in camp.

Reaction Score
This guy, a CT native, wanted to come to UCONN but prior coaching staff thought better of it and said " No Thanks".

Reaction Score
Love the way this kid plays. Wish he was part of Husky Nation.

Reaction Score
This guy, a CT native, wanted to come to UCONN but prior coaching staff thought better of it and said " No Thanks".
Well...he is a ginger after all, so the deck was stacked against him from the start ;). I keeed, I keeed (I'm a ginger, so i can say these things). Would love to have had him here. Almost everyone missed on him (SU, BC, RU, us, etc...). I remember years ago there was a poster connected to Milford Academy saying Tyler was going to be a great college player, he really wanted to be at UConn, and whoever got him was going to be getting a steal. He was right, and everyone but Addazzio was wrong.

Wasn't TM at Milford at the same time as that Ansonia RB (the one before Newsome) who was committed to UConn but there was some wonky stuff with his transcripts - or he never graduated, so ended up at Milford and then Temple for a minute and then not sure where he went from there.

Reaction Score
I watched a little. He sometimes picks the wrong hole and gives up big plays. He contributed to the win.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He's a great college player. Good luck to TM except against our Huskies.

Reaction Score
Well...he is a ginger after all, so the deck was stacked against him from the start ;). I keeed, I keeed (I'm a ginger, so i can say these things). Would love to have had him here. Almost everyone missed on him (SU, BC, RU, us, etc...). I remember years ago there was a poster connected to Milford Academy saying Tyler was going to be a great college player, he really wanted to be at UConn, and whoever got him was going to be getting a steal. He was right, and everyone but Addazzio was wrong.

Wasn't TM at Milford at the same time as that Ansonia RB (the one before Newsome) who was committed to UConn but there was some wonky stuff with his transcripts - or he never graduated, so ended up at Milford and then Temple for a minute and then not sure where he went from there.

http://www.ctchiefsfootball.com/roster/

Reaction Score
I watched a little. He sometimes picks the wrong hole and gives up big plays. He contributed to the win.

3 sacks and 7 tackles, 5 for loss was a rather generous contribution. Also his leadership of the Defense is immeasurable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom