2022 Recruiting: - Ty Rodgers | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Ty Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His uncle is Jason Richardson. Pretty cool!

Junior stats: 12.3 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.6 blocks and 1.1 steals.

From this interview:

PI: For those who aren’t super familiar with your game, what are some of your greatest strengths?

TR: I would say my biggest strength is my versatility, I do it all: pass, score, play defense. I feel like defense is one of the biggest things because you don’t really see that from a lot of guys these days. So yeah, definitely my versatility, just being able to do everything.

PI: What about some things you still need to work on?

TR: Well I’m still trying to improve everything about my game. I feel like you can’t really just focus on one area I feel like you need to improve everything, because if you just focus on one area then I feel like you’ll start lacking in a different area. So really just everything, my jump shot, handles, on-ball defense, help-side defense, everything.

PI: What would you say is most underrated about your game? In other words, what do you think you don’t receive enough credit for?

TR: I would probably say my ability to handle the ball. I feel like I’m going to get straight to the point — I’m not going to waste all of my energy doing moves, I’m going to get right to the bucket. I feel like I can really handle the ball and most people don’t really realize that.

PI: Which aspects of your game do you spend the majority of your time working on?

TR: I would probably say getting my shot up off the dribble, that’s one of the biggest things I’ve been working on with my cousin Brian [Bowen]...is learning how to get my shot off against any type of defender — like tall or short defenders, just multiple ways to get my shot off. He said at the next level that’s the main thing you have to be able to do.

Reaction Score
Not sure how he would score against college defenses given his size, style, and lack of a jumper. Seems pretty athletic with a motor and he’s 6’7, but need to see some skill.

Reaction Score
Not sure how he would score against college defenses given his size, style, and lack of a jumper. Seems pretty athletic with a motor and he’s 6’7, but need to see some skill.
of all the 5*s we had to be interested in him!

Reaction Score
So a 6'7 4* version of Christian Vital? Sign me up

Reaction Score
Christian Vital as a junior in high school was 35x the shooter Ty Rodgers is. This makes no sense.
are you sure not 34x, specifically 35x?
Also, remember when CV came to UConn and shot 31% from 3 his second season?
He came to UConn not being a great shooter. He was a bull dog who did all the little things you need to win, and could score as well.

You've gotten a little feisty lately...

Reaction Score
Gonna be honest, I don't see it. He's 6'6 and can't shoot. No left hand. Decent straight line handle. Pretty good passer--had some nice outlets and kicks. Made 7 jumpers the entire season (5 from deep).

He's really big, fast, and super athletic, so obviously a high potential guy. Seems to defend with energy. Gonna have to trust the staff on this one since I haven't seen him play any full games or anything. If we're pushing for this OV, gotta figure Luke has a pulse on him improving his shooting ability

I'm pretty done with getting excited about recruiting anyone under 6'9 that can't shoot the rock though. I'll be happy if he commits and get ready for his development.

Junior year highlights. Has every point he scored.

www.hudl.com/video/2/295174/6086e693a018ca1df4b41e22

Last edited:
Reaction Score
are you sure not 34x, specifically 35x?
Also, remember when CV came to UConn and shot 31% from 3 his second season?
He came to UConn not being a great shooter. He was a bull dog who did all the little things you need to win, and could score as well.

You've gotten a little feisty lately...

Look at CVs high school mixtape. He was raining threes for STM.

Rodgers made 5 3s his entire junior year season.

Are you just going to ignore CV shooting 37% his freshman year from deep and skip to his sophomore year when our entire program was a friggin disaster from top to bottom? Also standard rounding rules would say he shot 32% his sophomore year--still bad, but lying about his %s to try to prove an already fallacious point is doubling down on wrong

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look at CVs high school mixtape. He was raining threes for STM.

Rodgers made 5 3s his entire junior year season.

Are you just going to ignore CV shooting 37% his freshman year from deep and skip to his sophomore year when our entire program was a friggin disaster from top to bottom?
CV and JA were both sneaky really good shooters that got diluted by the enormous amount of terrible shots they had to take due to no offense being run for the entirety of their uconn careers...

Reaction Score
Gonna be honest, I don't see it. He's 6'6 and can't shoot. No left hand. Decent straight line handle. Pretty good passer--had some nice outlets and kicks. Made 7 jumpers the entire season (5 from deep).

He's really big, fast, and super athletic, so obviously a high potential guy. Seems to defend with energy. Gonna have to trust the staff on this one since I haven't seen him play any full games or anything. If we're pushing for this OV, gotta figure Luke has a pulse on him improving his shooting ability

I'm pretty done with getting excited about recruiting anyone under 6'9 that can't shoot the rock though. I'll be happy if he commits and get ready for his development.

Junior year highlights. Has every point he scored.

www.hudl.com/video/2/295174/6086e693a018ca1df4b41e22
Do you have his shooting percentages by chance? Not sure if that would even help seeing as he practically dunks everything but on the shots I saw from the highlights, he’s got solid form. It doesn’t look like he’s scared or has a lack of confidence to shoot. He just lives at the rim.

Reaction Score
AJ replacement after maybe one year of playing together? Similar game with less passing and more interior skills at this point.

Unlike AJ, whose form is awkward, Rodgers' form on the half dozen J's I saw him take in the highlight video looks fine. I have no idea what kind of percentage he shot from 3 or if the sample size was even meaningful, but he looks like he'd just need repetitions. AJ needs to tear down his jumper and start over. If he spends all summer practicing the jumper we saw last season, it will improve (probably), but he'll be leaving a lot on the table by not fixing his form, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom