Two years ago today: UConn 140, St. Francis 52 | The Boneyard

Two years ago today: UConn 140, St. Francis 52

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jeez, missed free throw and several missed layups in the first half. No wonder we had only 94. ;)

66 points in the paint and 6 players, including freshman Megan Walker, in double-figures. At halftime. :cool:

Gabby Williams was amazing!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This is one replay that I have watched many, many times and still enjoy it.
It's one of my top 3 replays, this game, Lou's 10 for 10 against USF in the AAC Tournament and the Big Three's final NC game against 'Cuse.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed this team lost- was it to Notre Dame? Was that the game where Geno didn't coach well? Didn't he not play Stevens in 2nd half for some reason which was mystery (and made her decide to go pro early)?
Think of how good the players were- Gabby, Pheesa, Lou, Kia, Dangerfield, Stevens, Walker, etc- hoping UConn can field another stacked team in couple of years as good as this.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed this team lost- was it to Notre Dame? Was that the game where Geno didn't coach well? Didn't he not play Stevens in 2nd half for some reason which was mystery (and made her decide to go pro early)?
Think of how good the players were- Gabby, Pheesa, Lou, Kia, Dangerfield, Stevens, Walker, etc- hoping UConn can field another stacked team in couple of years as good as this.
Speaking of stacked rosters, since 2008, Uconn has had no fewer than 5 future WNBA players and as many as 8. Could it be they under performed, given the roster, half of those years?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Is this a proven fact? I must have missed the BY thread on this fact.
I thought that we lost to a team that scored more points than the good guys, which is my understanding happens every once in a (long) while. Hmm.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at that game. It was silly. Saint Francis was an up tempo team and it was exactly the wrong approach against that super-quick UConn team, but the Red Flash was not going to change who they were for one game.

It wasn`t a beatdown, it was a layup drill. UConn shot 21-27 in the first quarter.

UConn was loaded with talent that year, with only one loss all season, to ND in the Final Four in Columbus. Gut wrenching.

Reaction Score
Speaking of stacked rosters, since 2008, Uconn has had no fewer than 5 future WNBA players and as many as 8. Could it be they under performed, given the roster, half of those years?
The only years I might say they "underperformed" were 2007-08 (FF) and 2010-11 (FF). Mainly because they were largely considered the favorite (though not infallible) teams to win it all those years, but got tripped up by an opponent they beat earlier in the year (Stanford 2008 and Notre Dame 2011). However, I'd argue that even though both of these teams had plenty of future WNBA draft picks, in both cases the teams' future WNBA players had not fully realized their talents (especially in 2011 when Hartley and Dolson were freshman, Faris was a sophomore, and Hayes was a junior).

On the other hand, take a look back at the Ohio State game from the 2010-11 season and it was obvious how good Dolson was going to become.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Four WNBA first round picks and the fifth starter a probable first rounder on the floor at the start of the game.
Another testament to the program's player development...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom