Two words for each UCONN starter | The Boneyard

Two words for each UCONN starter

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Just felt like doing a little free word association as I was watching and thinking about our starting five:

Napheesa - skilled butter
Gabby - dynamic heart
Lou - gritty buckets
Danger - poised lightning
Kia - steel warrior

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Napheesa = assassin (unassuming but deadly)
Gabby = puncher (taking swings that can change the game or knock you out)
Lou= pure (no clarification needed)
Crystal= smooth (fluid motion)
Kia= enforcer (plays a way that sends a message UConn is not to be trifled with)
Z = budding (aka game is blossoming)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
This board truly is a magical place and I mean that with all the respect I can muster. I don't always understand every thread here but the passion, knowledge and mutual respect you show each other always makes me smile.

Example? "Skilled Butter". I'm confused by that.

But, I'm smiling because I like saying it and know I'm probably the only one here who doesn't understand!

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This board truly is a magical place and I mean that with all the respect I can muster. I don't always understand every thread here but the passion, knowledge and mutual respect you show each other always makes me smile.

But, I'm smiling because I like saying it and know I'm probably the only one here who doesn't understand!

I think it is as in "smooth as butter" but I went "wait, what?" for that one as well.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

well by "free word association" I meant words that pop into your head - when I watch Napheesa play, I sometimes say or think to myself "So smooth! Like butter!"

It's just me, i understand everyone has their own little nonsensical phrases :)

I also usually think / feel that she is so skilled. Footwork, movement, soft touch on a variety of shots and moves - just very very skilled. So "skilled" and "butter" are just two words that I came up with separately.

When i said "gritty" "buckets" for Lou, the word gritty was more for her, not as an adjective for the buckets. Gritty. Buckets. Just two words that i think of when I think of Lou. I could have said "buckets gritty" but "gritty buckets" is a more interesting play on words to me

So the two words may or not have a relation to each other but they both have a relation to the player, not necessarily as adjectives (lightning isn't an adjective but its just imagery that 'feels' like what i feel when Danger does some of her stuff)

Same for Gabby , i think "dynamic" and I think "heart" so it's not "dynamic heart". It's "dynamic" and "heart". When you put two words side by side sometimes its just more interesting or they can also have a relation but not necessarily.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If Gabby was a dog. . .

I love the lions look of "Wait, what just happened?"

For what it is worth, I own a Rhodesian Ridgeback (mine is "ridgeless" and possibly a mix) also known as an "African Lion Dog" which were bred for their ability to hold lions at bay. I can see her doing exactly the same thing with her tail wagging the whole time. Great dog - smart, athletic, incredibly friendly and good looking. Strong prey instinct though.

Rhodesian-Ridgeback_5246a0971aa27.jpg

Reaction Score
Love that video. That dog even has a wounded leg. Can you imagine if it was fully healthy? It would have that lion mane for a rug.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Just felt like doing a little free word association as I was watching and thinking about our starting five:

Napheesa - skilled butter
Gabby - dynamic heart
Lou - gritty buckets
Danger - poised lightning
Kia - steel warrior

Can't give you a HEART Lou! But apparently you can give Gabby one!

One of my favorite speeches by this coach =D

Reaction Score
Napheesa - Solid Player!
Gabby - Jawdropping Assets!
Lou - Gets Hot!
Danger - The Compass!
Kia - Best defender!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Crystal - The General
Lou - Sharpshooter
Pheesa - Smooth
Gabby - Ms. Everything
Kia - The Defender

Reaction Score
Napheesa - Silky Smooth
Gabby - Wonder Woman
Lou - Lou Legend
Danger - Chain Lightning
Kia - Tenacious Tiger

Reaction Score
I don't know how to answer this without aging myself -- so I will just say that I grew up in the late '60's and early '70's watching those fabulous Tuesday and Thursday Palestra double headers on Channel 17 or 29, whatever it was).

Napheesa - Keith Wilkes, UCLA (I know, he never played in the Palestra, but it is a natural)
Gabby - Kenny Durrett, LaSalle (bad knees\hip and all, with a little Corky Calhoun mixed in)
Lou - Bob Morse, Penn (only possible name, even Geno would agree)
Danger - Norm Van Lier, St Francis of Loretto (the original Stormin' Norman)
Kia - Hal Greer, Sixers

"Z" - Jim McDaniels, W. Kentucky (hoping "Z": Big Jim ; Kalani: Artis Gilmore) in NCAA
Kyla Irwin - Hank Siemientkowski, Villanova
Molly Bent - Jim Haney, Penn (a much more significant BB career off the court than on)
Megan Walker - Mickey Davis, Duquesne

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Crystal: Tiny Archibald
Kia: Jack Ham
Lou: L. Bird but with grace and style
Phee: Silk (as in Keith Wilkes)
Gabby: Wonder Woman
Z: Alcindor raw

Online statistics