Two Questions | The Boneyard

Two Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First does Calipari leave UK? There were widespread musings that he would leave for the NBA if he won the Championship. If he returns; next year's team doesn't look as strong. He is going to lose Towns, and he still has the Harrison problem with another top rated PG coming in. Realistically, he can wait until the Harrisons make up their minds.

Does winning another NCAA championship really improve his marketability? Staying another few years without championships might lessen his value. Say he takes an NBA job and tanks; he can always return to college coaching in a high profile job.

Second what happens to the roster if he stays, or goes. If he stays he needs to reduce the roster to make room for the incoming players. I doubt he wants another year of platooning; recruits might balk at being part time players. My feeling is that he would prefer to have more defined roles for players.

If he leaves can UK keep the commits? Would there be transfers, a lot of transfers?

If Calipari is loyal to UK; he stays and jiggers with his roster. I don't see UK fans demanding a coaching change if he continues to deliver Final Four seasons.

Why should Husky fans care? Well we do as evidenced by the litany of posts deprecating everything about him and the UK program. Success breeds imitators, look at this year's Duke team. It is possible that there
will be a group of 4 or 5 top teams who routinely bring in 3 or more MCD All Americans turning them over
virtually every year.

I don't think this would be good for the college game.

Reaction Score
calipari isn't the first coach at uk to bring in bundles of all americans. this is a thing at kentucky, or at least expectation. he also isn't going anywhere, people will forget about this loss like his last two in '11 and '14. he is god in kentucky, the entire college season is just a slobknobfest for him from the media

Reaction Score
First does Calipari leave UK? There were widespread musings that he would leave for the NBA if he won the Championship. If he returns; next year's team doesn't look as strong. He is going to lose Towns, and he still has the Harrison problem with another top rated PG coming in. Realistically, he can wait until the Harrisons make up their minds.

Does winning another NCAA championship really improve his marketability? Staying another few years without championships might lessen his value. Say he takes an NBA job and tanks; he can always return to college coaching in a high profile job.

Second what happens to the roster if he stays, or goes. If he stays he needs to reduce the roster to make room for the incoming players. I doubt he wants another year of platooning; recruits might balk at being part time players. My feeling is that he would prefer to have more defined roles for players.

If he leaves can UK keep the commits? Would there be transfers, a lot of transfers?

If Calipari is loyal to UK; he stays and jiggers with his roster. I don't see UK fans demanding a coaching change if he continues to deliver Final Four seasons.

Why should Husky fans care? Well we do as evidenced by the litany of posts deprecating everything about him and the UK program. Success breeds imitators, look at this year's Duke team. It is possible that there
will be a group of 4 or 5 top teams who routinely bring in 3 or more MCD All Americans turning them over
virtually every year.

I don't think this would be good for the college game.

Since this started, the teams with turnover have been Kansas, Duke and Kentucky. North Carolina is trying to play this game but Roy isn't succeeding. Arizona may be on the verge. UK has a lot of F4s in this period, 4 of them. But overall, the approach isn't working. 1 championship in about 11 years worth of fully-loaded teams (UK 6, Kansas 3, Duke 2).

Reaction Score
He is going to lose a ton. WCS and Towns for sure. Booker, Lyles and the Harrisons very likely.

His two guard recruits are definitely not going to be one and done and his incoming big is possibly going to be ineligible. It wouldn't be a bad time for Cal to make the leap, if its true that he has a huge desire to succeed in the NBA.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I guess it depends if there is something about to catch up with him or not. I have trouble seeing how taking an NBA job would be better for him, but who knows what might be going on in his head. I would love for him to leave if it would break the crazy recruiting imbalance.

caw

Reaction Score
Nothing would make me happier than for both Donovan and Cal to jump this year.

Reaction Score
He is going to lose a ton. WCS and Towns for sure. Booker, Lyles and the Harrisons very likely.

His two guard recruits are definitely not going to be one and done and his incoming big is possibly going to be ineligible. It wouldn't be a bad time for Cal to make the leap, if its true that he has a huge desire to succeed in the NBA.
could you imagine cal coaching in the nba. basketball twitter would set him on fire for basically being scotty brooks but worst. has no offense or defensive philosophies. he just recruits the best players and tells them to crash the glass lmao. its why he gets exposed when physically equal teams compete vs him

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
calipari isn't the first coach at uk to bring in bundles of all americans. this is a thing at kentucky, or at least expectation. he also isn't going anywhere, people will forget about this loss like his last two in '11 and '14. he is god in kentucky, the entire college season is just a slobknobfest for him from the media

Disagree - first coach anywhere to bring in at least 6 t0 10 McD AAs in one year with the knowledge that most are one and done AND do it the following years(s)
As far as him going no where - who knows - depends on $ and if he needs to split the scene before the crap hits the fans
The guy is a narcissistic piece of crap who bloviates just to hear himself
IF he ever gets HoF vote it will desecrate everything about the shrine
He has caused havoc wherever he has been
The UK people love him because they have nothing else in their state to cheer about - Louisville is not a Kentucky institution
He has taken a blueblood program and made it a sham (wins don't mean everything) - I would feel the same way if he ever came to UConn

Reaction Score
Cal isn't leaving MCD AA kids will still believe his shtick.

Reaction Score
He did revolutionize MCBB with the dribble drive offense.

Reaction Score
"i stopped calling plays"- cal last year in tourney before losing

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Gottleib was on WFAN and said Cal is not an NBA coach, no concept of creating mismatches, no clue on substitution patterns to adjust to the game situation.

Reaction Score
Gottleib was on WFAN and said Cal is not an NBA coach, no concept of creating mismatches, no clue on substitution patterns to adjust to the game situation.

Gottlieb is really a weasel. It's like he lives to wait for the moment when he can shank someone. I'd love to see him try his hand at running a game.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb is really a weasel. It's like he lives to wait for the moment when he can shank someone. I'd love to see him try his hand at running a game.
gottlieb played pick up at my old hs on sundays , dude was still sick. this was years ago, but he was filthy. he has his bias' but i can't hate on his merits. his problem is he makes objective statements , in a sort of 'what have you done for me lately' premise. he also has a gigantic ego

Reaction Score
gottlieb played pick up at my old hs on sundays , dude was still sick. this was years ago, but he was filthy. he has his bias' but i can't hate on his merits. his problem is he makes objective statements , in a sort of 'what have you done for me lately' premise. he also has a gigantic ego

I know he's right but he waits to be right. I guess that's smart but you don't have to respect it.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Gottlieb would probably be fine running a game. After he got past the while credit care fiasco at ND (lol), he had an excellent career at Ok St. I think he's even top 10 in NCAA history for career assists. He could ball back in the day.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Gottlieb would probably be fine running a game. After he got past the while credit care fiasco at ND (lol), he had an excellent career at Ok St. I think he's even top 10 in NCAA history for career assists. He could ball back in the day.

Doesn't mean it translates to coaching. You have to keep your head.

I'm just comparing the above comment of his to, say, Mike Francesa, who made that same comment before the season even started. And Calipari was incensed. I don't think Francesa knows much of anything, but he made the same assessment a long while ago.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

I believe the squid figures if you've got the 5 biggest/best, you've already got 5 mismatches. Doesn't understand the concept of (for instance) MCGhee not being able to cover Kemba, much less how to maneuver him into that position at winning time.

A real coach, on the other hand, knows how to use the other team's own tendencies and strategies against them.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-07...mn-0724_1_dave-teggart-gary-mcghee-uconn-play

Reaction Score
Isn't there a chance Calipari loses his new assistant coach to St. John's too? Seems like there's going to be more turnover than after 2012 for UK.

Reaction Score
Thing is, he's not wrong. Calipari is not good at adjusting in-game when his team is faced with adversity. Both Calhoun and Ollie took him to school in this regard in 11 and 14, and Ryan did last night. His teams are generally able to stay in these games they're losing simply by out-talenting the other team, but eventually that runs out.

Reaction Score
Isn't there a chance Calipari loses his new assistant coach to St. John's too?
The only place I've read that is here. Not saying it's untrue, but SJU just got a big recruiter and it's not like their checkbook can match UK's. Tough to imagine "Slice" leaving.

Reaction Score
Nothing would make me happier than for both Donovan and Cal to jump this year.

If Cal jumps, the smart money is on Kentucky backing up a Brinks truck for Donovan, so I don't think you're going to get your wish, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I think there are only a few NBA teams that Calipari would leave Kentucky for. OKC is probably one and Cleveland is the other. If the Cavs came at him with the same offer this year, maybe he would take it a little more seriously because they actually have Lebron?? Right now, theres no reason for him to leave UK. He will always have top 5-10 talent any given year because of his recruiting ability. I also dont think hes a good in game coach so just because he has the best talent doesnt mean he will win every year. I think UK will get sick of Calipari before he gets sick of them and that will be the time he will seriously consider bailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom