Two Quarterbacks in This Class? | The Boneyard

Two Quarterbacks in This Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wonder if UConn will consider bringing two QBs in this year. Whitmer is clearly an upgrade but based on the first three games, he appears to have substantial limitations as well. Obviously, QB is the most important position. At the very least, it would provide us with depth in case something happened to the starter, and ideally it would further improve the quarterback position here in Storrs.

As far as I know, teams aim to have about 5 QBs on their rosters. Right now, UConn has four scholarship quarterbacks, with McEntee set to graduate. The Huskies did add two QBs last year, but I think it would be worth UConn's while do so again, provided they find a second quarterback they deem worthy of a UConn scholarship.

What do you guys think?

Reaction Score
If Boyle reconsiders we have to take him. I hear he's the real deal.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
2013 QBs:

Whitmer (RsJR)
McCummings (RsJR)
Cochran (RsFR)
Lagow (FR)

Wouldn't be a bad idea to bring in another QB to redshirt with Lagow. Probably need to bring two in for either this class or the next to keep a solid amount of scholarship QBs for after CW and SM leave. I suppose it would be possible to add a JuCo QB as a backup plan. One that basically has to choose between being given the starting job at a MAC team or fighting for the job at a Big East team.

Reaction Score
I view it as a luxury for this incoming class. We will likely not have more than 20-21 slots, with 15 full. I'd like to see a RB, 2 OL, a LB, and another DB before we bring in another qb.

pj

Reaction Score
With Cochran and Lagow we're doing fine at the back end of the QB depth chart. The problem is that where you'd ordinarily have 3 QBs at the top of the depth chart -- a RS Sr, RS Jr, RS So -- we have only 1 playable QB, Whitmer. McCummings can't play the normal package and can't backup Whitmer.

I don't see an easy recruiting solution to this. You can bring in a JUCO QB as a Jr to compete for the backup QB spot and maybe play the year after Whitmer graduates, but a good JUCO QB would look at Whitmer, Cochran and Lagow and wonder if he'd get a chance to play. If you bring in a 2nd high school QB, you're just creating extra competition at the back end which doesn't help immediately and guarantees either that someone transfers later or that a roster spot is wasted with someone who won't play.

I think they scout QBs and if a great one is available, then you have to consider it, but you don't bring in a QB just for the sake of having five on the roster.

Reaction Score
With Cochran and Lagow we're doing fine at the back end of the QB depth chart. The problem is that where you'd ordinarily have 3 QBs at the top of the depth chart -- a RS Sr, RS Jr, RS So -- we have only 1 playable QB, Whitmer. McCummings can't play the normal package and can't backup Whitmer.

I don't see an easy recruiting solution to this. You can bring in a JUCO QB as a Jr to compete for the backup QB spot and maybe play the year after Whitmer graduates, but a good JUCO QB would look at Whitmer, Cochran and Lagow and wonder if he'd get a chance to play. If you bring in a 2nd high school QB, you're just creating extra competition at the back end which doesn't help immediately and guarantees either that someone transfers later or that a roster spot is wasted with someone who won't play.

I think they scout QBs and if a great one is available, then you have to consider it, but you don't bring in a QB just for the sake of having five on the roster.

How did you figure we're doing fine at QB with Cochran and Lagow? They haven't even done anything yet... No disrespect to either of these kids, but you recruit EVERY position where depth is needed. Bringing in a 2nd HS QB is exactly what we need. Our QB play is still not where we need it to be for this program IMO... Can't be afraid of competition either, especially at QB ( the most important position on offense )....

Reaction Score
If Boyle reconsiders we have to take him. I hear he's the real deal.

Boyle is solid with BC, don't even dream about that one. Bringing in another QB would be a great idea.

pj

Reaction Score
How did you figure we're doing fine at QB with Cochran and Lagow? They haven't even done anything yet... No disrespect to either of these kids, but you recruit EVERY position where depth is needed. Bringing in a 2nd HS QB is exactly what we need. Our QB play is still not where we need it to be for this program IMO... Can't be afraid of competition either, especially at QB ( the most important position on offense )....

I mean that you'd like to end up with 5 highly rated QBs on the roster, each spaced by a year. PP has us on that path, Cochran was 3* / 85 on 247sports last year, CT player of the year, and Lagow is 3* / 84 on 247 sports this year, texas 7on7 champ. Those are both good recruits. If we just stay on track getting one similar recruit each year we'll be fine.

If we bring in a lower rated QB this year to add depth, then having taken 2 QBs this year makes it harder to recruit a QB next year. You're creating a backlog ahead of the next guy. I'd rather go for quality over quantity and keep up this run of high-ceiling QB recruits.

Reaction Score
This is a no brainer. Yes, yes, yes. Definitely bring a quality (a that's the important piece) QB next year if you can get him. Why? Well for starters UConn hasn't had a solution to the position since Dan O left. So desperate measures for desperate times. Second, what happens if Whitmer continues his performances and Cochran turns out to be a Mike Box/Mike Nebrich Part II. Finally, UConn was been plagued by QB defections (or dismissals) over the past 5-6 years. Funny the position has been woeful and yet guys aren't confident enough to stick around and wait for their chance or their second chance (see Endres/Frazer/Endres/Frazser waltz). Heck the way this position has stubbornly resisted improvement . . . bring in a 3rd QB if you can land a quality one.

Reaction Score

i think you're right. theoretically a JUCO Jr transfer would make sense for our depth chart, but we don't have a roster that will attract a top JUCO prospect right now. Any JUCO worth taking will end up at a school with a big hole. Bringing in another freshman won't really accomplish what we need. We're not thin at the position, but it would be nice to even have a Blaise Driscoll type that was coming in next year as a junior just to provide some depth. Who knows, maybe Tom Savage will be looking to move again and we can get him.

pj

Reaction Score
Quality QBs don't grow on trees. Sure, if a great prospect wants to commit you have to take him ... but what are the odds of that? The QB prospects have been picked over pretty thoroughly, and late bloomers won't be likely to choose to go to a school that already has a commitment from the Texas 7on7 state champ.

pj

Reaction Score
i think you're right. theoretically a JUCO Jr transfer would make sense for our depth chart, but we don't have a roster that will attract a top JUCO prospect right now. Any JUCO worth taking will end up at a school with a big hole. Bringing in another freshman won't really accomplish what we need. We're not thin at the position, but it would be nice to even have a Blaise Driscoll type that was coming in next year as a junior just to provide some depth. Who knows, maybe Tom Savage will be looking to move again and we can get him.

Great point ... and it would be great to find a quality walk-on QB and try to develop him.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i don't take a 2nd qb this year unless its a juco kid or a stud hs kid.

next year i take 2 rbs and 2 qbs for the 2014 class. one of the issues PP had was when he got here he was given a screwed up spread at these positions.

is SM really going to stay here 2 more years for a couple spread plays? or will he go up the road and start closer to home? whitmer will be a rs jr next year so if you bring in a hs kid and a juco next(14 class) year you could be looking at this.

fall 2014:
whitmer-rs sr
juco recruit- rs so/jr
casey- rs so
lag- rs fr
hs recruit- rs

now at this point hopefully whitmer has developed and has a great sr year. during this you cna recruit a hs wb for the 2015 class so once again we have a full 5 qbs on ship all spread out year wise as then again with that spread expect some 1 to want pt else where. this should be our goal qb wise. what u also have is the fall of 2015 a qb battle between several kids which would be good media wise heading into that season(casey is 1 of those vs a texas kid and a juco).

fall 2014:
lyle-rs sr
jwill-jr or rs so
13 recruit- rs fr
14 recruit- fr or rs
14 recruit- rs

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I mean that you'd like to end up with 5 highly rated QBs on the roster, each spaced by a year. PP has us on that path, Cochran was 3* / 85 on 247sports last year, CT player of the year, and Lagow is 3* / 84 on 247 sports this year, texas 7on7 champ. Those are both good recruits. If we just stay on track getting one similar recruit each year we'll be fine.

If we bring in a lower rated QB this year to add depth, then having taken 2 QBs this year makes it harder to recruit a QB next year. You're creating a backlog ahead of the next guy. I'd rather go for quality over quantity and keep up this run of high-ceiling QB recruits.

Give them each an extra star... Those are BIg East stars - If they were BiG, SEC, Big 12 or PAC, they'd be 4's!

Reaction Score
Unless Christian Hackenberg is desperate for a home come NSD, I say we pass and get two for 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom