Two of My Heroes Retire | The Boneyard

Two of My Heroes Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am once again heart broken. I am just getting over Coach Calhoun retiring and I get hit with another left hook. Coach/Congressmen/Arhletic Director Tom Osborne has retired suddenly today. I am once again an emotional mess simply because of all the joy he has given me, but also what he has done for Nebraska. No one would know or care about my University or football team if it weren't for him.

Accomplishments as AD:
Hired Bo Pelini
New basketball practice facility
New basketball arena currently being built a few miles down the road from me
Hired Tim Miles, new basketball coach that has so far been a slam dunk
Currently building the East Stadium press boxes/upper deck and adding a state of the art head trama research center inside of it

I know this doesn't mean much to you guys but it does for me as everything I know and love about Nebraska and my alma mater goes through this man. My dad had the honor of working for him for a few years and he is just a great person and it is extremely tough to see him step down.

Reaction Score
I am once again heart broken. I am just getting over Coach Calhoun retiring and I get hit with another left hook. Coach/Congressmen/Arhletic Director Tom Osborne has retired suddenly today. I am once again an emotional mess simply because of all the joy he has given me, but also what he has done for Nebraska. No one would know or care about my University or football team if it weren't for him.

I agree with you that Osborne was a great coach and deserves all your praise. But the person who put Husker football on the map was his immediate predecessor Bob Devaney. He won 2 nat'l championships in the 70's and set the stage for Osborne to continue a great tradition. It's probably my age, but when asked about their football program I always mention Devaney AND Osborne as equals.

Reaction Score
Devaney no doubt had set the stage for TO to have a great career. I agree with your post I was just singling out Dr. Tom because of this occasion. Nebraska football can't have one without the other.

Reaction Score

Accomplishments as AD:
Hired Bo Pelini
New basketball practice facility
New basketball arena currently being built a few miles down the road from me
Hired Tim Miles, new basketball coach that has so far been a slam dunk
Currently building the East Stadium press boxes/upper deck and adding a state of the art head trama research center inside of it

I know this doesn't mean much to you guys but it does for me as everything I know and love about Nebraska and my alma mater goes through this man. My dad had the honor of working for him for a few years and he is just a great person and it is extremely tough to see him step down.
Forgot to add possibly his most important accomplishment as AD, guiding the University of Nebraska into the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
I think Tim Miles will be a good coach. It's hard to break through to the top half of the B1G, but he'll have them making semi-regular tourney appearances.

Reaction Score
He's done really well in his short time here. He had Okafor on campus for a visit awhile back and the fans here were just shocked. All he has to do is win one tournament game and he will be treated like a God here. He has some of the best facilities in the nation so hopefully he can get a few big time recruits to get the ball rolling. Fans are very excited about the combination of this hire and the new Haymarket Arena downtown.

Reaction Score
Now if KO can continue the success of JC as Osborne did with Devaney, I'll be one very happy fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom