Two obvious thoughts from the SCSU game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Two obvious thoughts from the SCSU game

Reaction Score
I believe the discussion regarding who is the best scorer or shooter or what ever belongs in a different thread...i.e. the "Mount Rushmore" threads.
This specific thread is a discussion about last night's game vs Southern Connecticut ...and by extension the 2018 - 2019 UCONN WBB Team. With that as a back drop... Lou had a fantastic game...albeit against an out matched DII team. IMHO if Lou continues to play like she did last night [and vs OSU], she has a legitimate shot at POY and UCONN at NC #12.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lou plays such a beautiful game and is so dangerous both offensively and defensively (YES !!!!!) on every spot of the court and gets better every season. I love her overall understanding of the game and her touch passes even though some did not work last night.

Reaction Score
Stewie is the best since Maya. For sure.

I agree with Milford Husky in that Lou is a very, very gifted scorer. What a sweet stroke. And she gets it off so quickly.

But Stewie's all around game is at another level.

How wonderful we got both of them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just awesome how KLS has developed over the years. From a stand and shoot kid to an all-around national start, she has risen to thew Geno challenge. Amazing to see her grow!

I know your point and generally agree, but if you go back to old Matre Dei footage you see a Lou who worked inside too and was fairly efficient at it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I saw little of the game, though it seems Geno was most pleased with Olivia's progress:

"Nelson-Ododa’s performance reminded Auriemma of the first time he saw her play, which was while she was on Team USA. He said she was competitive and aggressive in that game, but watching her in high school he saw the version of her that he’s seen in Storrs — less physical."

“That was the most encouraging thing tonight,” Auriemma said. “She was willing to get in there and mix it up a little bit. Obviously there was nobody that could challenge her, but that’s a good sign… [She] could’ve just as easily gone out there and not done that so I thought that was worth having the game.”

"Auriemma and the rest of UConn’s coaching staff have been pushing her a lot recently, Nelson-Ododa said, and she’s happy to see it paying it. The transition to college hasn’t been easy, but she feels like she’s constantly learning and progressing as she tries to play with more physicality.

“Coming into college basketball is definitely not easy, especially at this program,” Nelson-Ododa said. “But the coaches are amazing at player development and I definitely strive each day to get better and better so that helps.”

Freshmen excel in UConn women's dominant exhibition win over SCSU

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I saw little of the game, though it seems Geno was most pleased with Olivia's progress:

"Nelson-Ododa’s performance reminded Auriemma of the first time he saw her play, which was while she was on Team USA. He said she was competitive and aggressive in that game, but watching her in high school he saw the version of her that he’s seen in Storrs — less physical."

“That was the most encouraging thing tonight,” Auriemma said. “She was willing to get in there and mix it up a little bit. Obviously there was nobody that could challenge her, but that’s a good sign… [She] could’ve just as easily gone out there and not done that so I thought that was worth having the game.”

"Auriemma and the rest of UConn’s coaching staff have been pushing her a lot recently, Nelson-Ododa said, and she’s happy to see it paying it. The transition to college hasn’t been easy, but she feels like she’s constantly learning and progressing as she tries to play with more physicality.

“Coming into college basketball is definitely not easy, especially at this program,” Nelson-Ododa said. “But the coaches are amazing at player development and I definitely strive each day to get better and better so that helps.”

Freshmen excel in UConn women's dominant exhibition win over SCSU

Geno clearly sees the need to bring ONO along fairly gently but boy is Geno cracking the whip with Christyn. The faint of heart should turn away. :oops:

And he is using some fairly unique buttons that must feed into her particular psyche. ' Needs to be more intuitive with her play and worry less about the particular play calls' and ' She should be good enough that they talk about her on TV as one of the top players in basketball'. Not sure if Geno has ever ventured into this path earlier. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Comparing Lou to Stewie is not fair to Lou. Stewie is in a class by herself “4 national championships “. She didn’t just score points....she was the best defender on the floor, she was the best rebounder in the game, she made every player on her team better, and she was clutch when the game was on the line.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno clearly sees the need to bring ONO along fairly gently but boy is Geno cracking the whip with Christyn. The faint of heart should turn away. :oops:

And he is using some fairly unique buttons that must feed into her particular psyche. ' Needs to be more intuitive with her play and worry less about the particular play calls' and ' She should be good enough that they talk about her on TV as one of the top players in basketball'. Not sure if Geno has ever ventured into this path earlier. :rolleyes:

You are right, but two things are converging : Geno's seemingly limitless vision of her potential and Christyn's irrepressible nature. It is said every freshman hits the Freshman Wall. From what I have seen of Christyn so far I doubt it will be in her way for long.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The bench improved? ONO is the ONLY one that has shown improvement! The rest of the bench combined for a grand total of 7 points in 57 minutes of play vs a division II team!
Molly played really well and more aggressively than we have seen her. Combine that with Liv's play, and I think it's fair to say that the bench has improved. Of course, they need to maintain it and not regress.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But it is a bit of a concern, she has to be consistent in her sophomore year, not enough bench for her not to be a strong contributor in every game.
Agreed. Given our bench, no one on the starting 5 can afford to get into foul trouble, though opposing teams will try just that.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This seems a little bit like arguing about the relative greatness of Ruth, DiMaggio and Mantle. All hall of famers with diifferent strengths and fans of their team are lucky to have had them

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes Div 2 but Molly really had a fantastic game in all facets (offense, DEFENSE, passing, positioning, making the right decisions) and for a player where confidence is key, I really think this can open her eyes to what she can do for us off the bench. She really has all the physical tools. If her head catches up to her body.

Before the season is over, I think UConn is going to need significant contributions from its bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If the bench continues to improve, I see Lou, Pheesa, Crystal Dangerfield, getting more rest then last year during Conference play. Lou was very efficient today, Pheesa had some early struggles then started gelling, Crystal Dangerfield had an off shooting night, but did distribute the ball well. Had good production from CW, Liv, and Molly. MW was also a little off but did contribute.

This is a good observation. The measure of how effective the bench play is the extent to which the score remains solidly in UConn's favor. Last year the subs would enter and promptly give back 10 points or so to the opposition. This season, so far, the subs have held steady and have not yielded a bunch of points. In at least one case, the score grew after the bench players arrived (OSU). With a thin bench, this is really important.

Reaction Score
This seems a little bit like arguing about the relative greatness of Ruth, DiMaggio and Mantle. All hall of famers with diifferent strengths and fans of their team are lucky to have had them

For the youngsters, that's Babe, Joe and Mickey, hall of fame baseball players with unique skills and personalities.

Reaction Score
I thought that Lexi would get more playing time, especially for an exhibition game. If I was in Lexi's position, I have to wonder if it is more fun to get to play even for a D-II team like SCU than getting 5min of garbage time in an exhibition game. I am not sure what you learn from that.
I am sure that enters her mind. The question is; is she really good but still undeveloped, or was she "mis-read" as a high-end recruit? Clearly, the second year is often a break-out year for many talented freshmen. I never hear Geno mention her name. Is that a strategy? Does he speak to her regularly and we don't know it? Does he have hopes for her? Does he see high end potential? We'll never know. It is up to her. Like all UCONN stars, she has to go out and grab the brass ring. She has to make Geno and the coaches notice her. Make them say, " we cannot keep her off the court." Otherwise, she will simply be able to say; " I was there. I worked. But I did nothing." And now I am going to start a different career.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I thought that Lexi would get more playing time, especially for an exhibition game. If I was in Lexi's position, I have to wonder if it is more fun to get to play even for a D-II team like SCU than getting 5min of garbage time in an exhibition game. I am not sure what you learn from that.
I was just wondering earlier today as I watched the replay again, whether it has always been Geno's mindset that the lowest player on the ladder would/should get only four or five minutes of playing time. In other words, with a full roster, does he have some strategy or plan (I don't want to say formula) for how he does this. I do feel bad for her; she's a sentimental favorite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom