Two more NCAA records - How boring! | The Boneyard

Two more NCAA records - How boring!

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I thought this was going to happen, but wasn't sure how they'd handle it. I just checked the new NCAA record book. UConn now holds the records for most consecutive conference wins, both with and without counting post season. It combines the ACC and the Big East over the past 8 years. Pretty much sweeps them all now.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UConn has been great...but they haven't won a single ACC conference game. Better check again. :rolleyes:

edit--they have certainly beaten some ACC teams, before anyone beats me to it, but those were OOC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to see a quadruple-Double. That's as rare as an unassisted triple play in baseball.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I have a question about the two consecutive losses record. It is my understanding that they lost in the NCAA Tournament, then lost the first game of the following season. This is kind of questionable, since it was two different teams that lost, albeit in the same uniform. So, I have to ask, when was the last time UConn lost two consecutive games in the same season, and additionally, when was the last time UConn lost two consecutive games during the regular season, not counting playoffs?

These have got to be records that no other team can come close to.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe tht Uconn hasn't lost consecutive games since 1993, but don't quote me on it.
That is unconscionable. I’m a big proponent of suggesting that certain records are probably unbreakable, i.e, Gehrig’s 56 consecutive MLB game hitting streak (80 years and still standing), Wilt Chamberlain’s 100 points in a regulation NBA basketball game (59 years and holding), or Nolan Ryan’s 7 MLB career no hitters. Do you think this record qualifies to join these iconic records? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
That is unconscionable. I’m a big proponent of suggesting that certain records are probably unbreakable, i.e, Gehrig’s 56 consecutive MLB game hitting streak (80 years and still standing), Wilt Chamberlain’s 100 points in a regulation NBA basketball game (59 years and holding), or Nolan Ryan’s 7 MLB career no hitters. Do you think this record qualifies to join these iconic records? :rolleyes:
No doubt...unbelievable!

Reaction Score
Overrated record can’t tell me didn’t hurt his team playing everyday
Over the years, there have been many, many, many things that have been bad for the Orioles. Ripken wasn't even in the top 100 of that list. If nothing else, fans came to see Cal play. Approximately the top 50 (if not the entire 100) things wrong with the Orioles have the name Angelos attached to them.

Reaction Score
So he helped put fannies in the seats but hurt them on the field [ ] Imagine what winning could go to the fanbase

Last edited by a moderator:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Some interesting information in this article from last year.

The sun rose on the cold Thursday morning of March 18, 1993.

The previous night the UConn women’s basketball team’s 1992-93 campaign came to an end with a loss 74-71 loss to Louisville in an NCAA Tournament Mideast Regional first-round game at Gampel Pavilion. The Huskies, who were coming off a loss to Providence in the Big East Tournament semifinals, finished 18-11.

Since, UConn has won at least 25 games every season and reached the NCAA Sweet 16 when the tournament was played. There’s one thing the Huskies haven’t done since March 17, 1993: Lost back-to-back games.

Count it: It's been 10,000 days since UConn women lost 2 in a row

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
CLOSE CALL:

at Rutgers (Jan. 27, 1999). With injuries sidelining four of their top six players and coming off their first loss to Boston College in nine years, the Huskies traveled to Rutgers. No Shea Ralph, no Swin Cash, no Sue Bird, no Amy Duran. But they had Svetlana Abrosimova.
With UConn down one, Abrosimova stole Tasha Pointer’s inbounds pass at midcourt. While her layup bid was blocked, the Huskies had possession. She would then track down a miss by Asjha Jones and score on a leaner in the lane with 43.6 seconds left and UConn held on for a 56-55 win.
“Coach said we needed a steal,” Abrosimova said. “It was a bad pass. The Rutgers player wasn’t expecting it. I was.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Joe DiMaggio had the 56 game hitting streak, not Lou Gehrig. Gehrig had the consecutive game streak until Cal Ripkin came along.
Yes of course. I had a senior moment there. :confused: A thousand pardons.

Reaction Score
Which team has record vs Ranked Teams for.
  1. Most consecutive wins
  2. Most games without back to back losses
I thought previously someone mentioned the Texas team having the longest win streak in conference play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a question about the two consecutive losses record. It is my understanding that they lost in the NCAA Tournament, then lost the first game of the following season. This is kind of questionable, since it was two different teams that lost, albeit in the same uniform. So, I have to ask, when was the last time UConn lost two consecutive games in the same season, and additionally, when was the last time UConn lost two consecutive games during the regular season, not counting playoffs?

These have got to be records that no other team can come close to.
Only time I can recall UConn losing an opener was in 1995, but that was following the NC so not 2 in a row.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought previously someone mentioned the Texas team having the longest win streak in conference play.
Texas had the record for most consecutive conference wins until last year - they had 124 wins from 1981-1990 in the Southwestern Conference and if including postseason games 143. Uconn passed both numbers last year with 136 and 161.
Uconn owns the three longest win streaks in D1, the three longest road win streaks, and the two longest home win streaks.

Interestingly FGCU owns the D1 record for highest winning percentage in D1 at .841 - they joined D1 19 seasons ago so have yet to have a down period. Tenn is second with .799 and Uconn is third at .798. If Uconn goes 36-3 this year they would end up at .800 and move into second place.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Texas had the record for most consecutive conference wins until last year - they had 124 wins from 1981-1990 in the Southwestern Conference and if including postseason games 143. Uconn passed both numbers last year with 136 and 161.
Uconn owns the three longest win streaks in D1, the three longest road win streaks, and the two longest home win streaks.

Interestingly FGCU owns the D1 record for highest winning percentage in D1 at .841 - they joined D1 19 seasons ago so have yet to have a down period. Tenn is second with .799 and Uconn is third at .798. If Uconn goes 36-3 this year they would end up at .800 and move into second place.
On edit:
If Tenn goes 27-6, they also would move to .800 so moving into second place is a more fluid situation than in my original post!

It is interesting that the record book's D1 Winningest Teams records do not limit the records to NCAA or even NCAA and AIAW records but for some schools like Tenn go far far back - 1902-3 season for Tenn, Central Arkasas 1908-9, and Western Kentuky 1914-15. Nice to acknowledge that history in some way, but they were not really in a collegiate competition at that point. Even the programs that the NCAA list with records that date to the early 60s are 'suspect' I think. It would be interesting to see the records in this section based on 'modern' era of NCAA (1982-present) or add in AIAW (1967-1982.) Maybe limit it to years with a 'National' championship (AIAW 1972- NCAA present.)

NB: To a large degree the NCAA depends on schools providing data for the record books - for an example there was a big deal made when some team won their 1000 NCAA contest a few years back and the press release was 'the second program to reach that milestone behind Tenn'. I contacted the NCAA because while Geno was still a few wins short, Uconn had won games before he arrived and was well beyond 1000 wins. Got an email back saying contact Uconn which I did, and they said they would check their records and update the data.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom