two minor questions | The Boneyard

two minor questions

Reaction Score
Watching last night's game it seemed we had a lot of times when someone shot and missed, got the rebound shot and missed, got a second rebound and then made the third shot I was thinking our shooting percentage would look really bad, then this morning I see it is over 50%. Do all those chippies not count as misses. Do those rebounds of your own shot count as rebounds? I seem to recall announcers making comments in the past about someone padding their rebounding by missing the shots. Is the +/- just how the team does while you are on the floor? So it is really a reflection more about who was on the floor with you then how you did personally??? If I played with our top 4 even I might have a +15 score.

Reaction Score
Watching last night's game it seemed we had a lot of times when someone shot and missed, got the rebound shot and missed, got a second rebound and then made the third shot I was thinking our shooting percentage would look really bad, then this morning I see it is over 50%. Do all those chippies not count as misses. Do those rebounds of your own shot count as rebounds? I seem to recall announcers making comments in the past about someone padding their rebounding by missing the shots. Is the +/- just how the team does while you are on the floor? So it is really a reflection more about who was on the floor with you then how you did personally??? If I played with our top 4 even I might have a +15 score.

Have to ask, who are the "top 4" and can you box out?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The chippies count as shots.
A rebound of one own shot counts as a rebound. Look at Liv's stats she missed 7 shots and rebounded her own miss on 4 of the 7 missed shots.
The +/- is a point differential while any individual player is on the floor you have to be careful how you use that stat.
The announcers are silly for thinking that anyone is out there trying to pad stats on a UCONN team.

Reaction Score
The chippies count as shots.
A rebound of one own shot counts as a rebound. Look at Liv's stats she missed 7 shots and rebounded her own miss on 4 of the 7 missed shots.
The +/- is a point differential while any individual player is on the floor you have to be careful how you use that stat.
The announcers are silly for thinking that anyone is out there trying to pad stats on a UCONN team.
Ah, how soon we forget. It was something of a laugh line that the early Tina Charles was such a great rebounder because she would miss her first one or even two bunny attempts - and yes, it did reflect in a lowered shooting percentage

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ah, how soon we forget. It was something of a laugh line that the early Tina Charles was such a great rebounder because she would miss her first one or even two bunny attempts - and yes, it did reflect in a lowered shooting percentage
In all seriousness Liv needs to get better at making more of those chippies. For the season she only shooting 43%. Form where she is shooting the ball (mostly at the basket) she needs to be at about the 60% range.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In all seriousness Liv needs to get better at making more of those chippies. For the season she only shooting 43%. Form where she is shooting the ball (mostly at the basket) she needs to be at about the 60% range.
I think the original CD will work with Liv on this. As time goes by and Liv gets stronger and more "at ease" and "less tense"in putting the shots up (think about how "easy" Pheesa puts up in the paint shots-not rushed or tense) they will fall. Rome wasn't built in a day! We mostly need Liv to rebound, play intimidating defense and run the floor to exhaust the other team's post.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think the original CD will work with Liv on this. As time goes by and Liv gets stronger and more "at ease" and "less tense"in putting the shots up (think about how "easy" Pheesa puts up in the paint shots-not rushed or tense) they will fall. Rome wasn't built in a day! We mostly need Liv to rebound, play intimidating defense and run the floor to exhaust the other team's post.
No doubt the weight room and CD will make ONO into a player in time. Right now ONO needs to make ONO a better player and that starts by making more of her layups.
Incidentally it might just be something with this 2018 class of bigs: Sharika Austin, Charli Collier and ONO all shooting well below 50% (43%, 46%, 43%) with the majority of the shots coming within 4-6 feet of the basket.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s rare that a true BIG, comes directly out of HS and adapts easily to the college game. The game is faster and the defenders are bigger. Even Stewie struggled a little as a freshman, and she adjusted more quickly to the college game than any other BIG I can remember.

Reaction Score
Those rebounds do indeed count. In fact, thanks to one play that followed that exact sequence of events, Pheesa ended up with 11 rebounds instead of 9, finishing the game with a double-double. :)

Reaction Score
Makes you realize what a good 3 point shooting team UConn is to have the net shooting percentage so high.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No doubt the weight room and CD will make ONO into a player in time. Right now ONO needs to make ONO a better player and that starts by making more of her layups.
Incidentally it might just be something with this 2018 class of bigs: Sharika Austin, Charli Collier and ONO all shooting well below 50% (43%, 46%, 43%) with the majority of the shots coming within 4-6 feet of the basket.
I would attribute it to a small sample size and initial shock of playing better and bigger players. By the end of the year, I suspect all their numbers will be much better, percentage wise.

Reaction Score
What happens if you get your shot blocked twice. Does that as two shots?

Just loving the call on this sequence too by Dave and Doris.

Can you imagine what (if anything) we would have gotten from the booth had Adam, Kara and Rebecca been on this one? :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And what about Pheesa at the foul line? She missed her first four. Wasn't she our most reliable free throw shooter last year? She has missed far too many for a player of her ability.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And what about Pheesa at the foul line? She missed her first four. Wasn't she our most reliable free throw shooter last year? She has missed far too many for a player of her ability.
What about her? So what, she has missed a few foul shots but she is still on a POY pace for the season. She was also NOT the best FT shooter last year. Last year four players (Kia, KLS, Crystal and Azura) shot FTs better than Pheesa did.

Reaction Score
What about her? So what, she has missed a few foul shots but she is still on a POY pace for the season. She was also NOT the best FT shooter last year. Last year four players (Kia, KLS, Crystal and Azura) shot FTs better than Pheesa did.
Thanks for the correction. Since you obviously have the data, what was Pheesa's FT conversion % last year?

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
You beat me to it. :)

Too far back to recall how Geno insisted that one of the studio commentators last night (Swin) deliberately missed bunnies in order to pad her rebounding stats?

Reaction Score
Pheesa's free throws

15-16 91/7% first on the team
16-17 81.8% second
17-18

Reaction Score
17-18 78.4% 4th
18-19 62.9% 6th

As Geno, I think, said, one more made free throw in regulation time and we beat MS State and ND in the semi's.
The little things are important. I did not realize all of the above stats, just that she was superb as a freshman. Is she doing something different, or just playing more, harder, in the post, getting beat up a little???

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

What?!?, you mean the great Tina Charles, who's one of the most prolific and aggressive rebounders and scorers in the W, at one time looked like ONO does now? :eek: WTH?!?.

That means there's hope for Liv. Just give her time. To date, ONO has played 105 minutes, the equivalent of 2.6 - 40 minute games. So she's basically played less than 3 games, but some folks expect her to play like a polished and refined senior. Not going to happen. Sorry, THAT egg is NOT ready to hatch yet. Be patient folks, she'll get there. This IS her first rodeo.

Trust Geno and his coaches. They will turn what is now a raw post player that has some latent talent into one of the best posts in WCBB before she leaves Storrs. Just like they did Tina Charles. There's no way she came remain under CD's tutelage and stay the same.

I believe Charles was a junior before the light came on, and she finally realized and understood (bought in) what they were trying to get her to do, and how good she could be. Hopefully it won't take Liv that long. We're not even a third of the way into the season yet. So, I submit to you, my Boneyard brethren and assorted worry warts, per Aaron Rodgers: "R-e-l-a-x". :cool: Remember what the Somali pirate kept telling Captain Phillips throughout the movie? "No problem Irish. Everything gonna be okay". :D Believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
17-18 78.4% 4th
18-19 62.9% 6th

As Geno, I think, said, one more made free throw in regulation time and we beat MS State and ND in the semi's.
The little things are important. I did not realize all of the above stats, just that she was superb as a freshman. Is she doing something different, or just playing more, harder, in the post, getting beat up a little???
Talking about making a mountain out of a mole hill. She replaced an AA in the UCONN starting lineup as a Sophomore and became an AA that same year. Little things do matter but not more than the big things-Pheesa is doing just fine!

Reaction Score

1. Any controlled shot or tip counts as a shot attempt. Doesn't matter whether it is a "chippie".

2. Every missed shot must also have a rebound. No exceptions ever.

3. Rebounds of your own misses count as rebounds.

4. Yes, +/- is very much a reflection of who is on the floor with you. That is why it is a worthless stat for a small number of games, and depending on a team's substitution pattern it might be worthless even if looked at over an entire season. For example, if a player always came in as a sub for Maya Moore and never played at the same time as her, their +/- would be a lot worse than if they always played with her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What?!?, you mean the great Tina Charles, who's one of the most prolific and aggressive rebounders and scores in the W, at one time looked like ONO does now?:eek: WTH?!?.

That means there's hope for Liv. Just give her time. To date, ONO has played 105 minutes, the equivalent of 2.6 - 40 minute games. So she's basically played less than 3 games, and some folks expect her to play like a polished and refined senior. Not going to happen. Sorry, THAT egg is NOT ready to hatch yet. Be patient folks, she'll get there. :cool:
Actually no.....Let's avoid creating more urban legend here: Freshman Tina Charles shot 59% on well over 300 FG attempts and averaged 8.2 RPG. Despite what has been incorrectly and wildly exaggerated here Tina did not rise much above that FG accuracy or RPG in her time at UCONN. Tina's peak were at 62% as a junior and 9.2 RPG as a senior. Freshman ONO has got a very long way to go to be compared to Freshmen Charles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom