Two-hour Bonchon thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Two-hour Bonchon thread

Reaction Score
Where in North Jersey?
I would imagine the Bergen County towns. My aunt and uncle live in Ridgefield Park and cousins are in the other towns around there. I never know what town I'm in because they're small and all crammed right next to each other but there's Korean people everywhere and signs are written in Korean. Pretty sure it's the largest Korean population in the country.

Bingo! Palisades Park and Ridgefield. I think it’s officially the 2nd largest population outside Korea behind KTown in LA. Checkout Mama Chicken, but there’s quite a few other good places in that general vicinity. I’m working down in Ridgefield Monday-Tuesday so 100% getting KFC while I’m down there now. Thanks 8893 lol

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
We were introduced to a Korean joint where we always dine before Phish MSG shows and order a huge platter of the boneless Soy Garlic and Hot & Spicy tendies. Also sides of Kimchee and Seafood Fried Rice. This place is a pre-show stoner meal wet dream and the food is tasty fuel to rage the Garden all night after.
A+++++!!!!!

That said we live in CT so a place like Turntable doesn't exist yet.
I like the same soy garlic and hot & spicy tendies that Bonchon makes as well as their bulgogi fried rice.
Not the same of course but it comes through in a pinch when the NYC Korean Fried Chicken flashbacks happen and I gotta have my fix.

Figured this post would help those of you going to MSG for pre-game UConn dinners. It's only a 10 minute or so walk away from the Garden.

Reaction Score
Heading to Korea for the first time in November. I'll be on the lookout for some Korean fried chicken.
One the best meals I had with my friends in 2018 was at a neighborhood Chicken & Beer spot. That’s all they served. Great wings and we all got hammered. Don’t remember the exact name of it

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
One the best meals I had with my friends in 2018 was at a neighborhood Chicken & Beer spot. That’s all they served. Great wings and we all got hammered. Don’t remember the exact name of it
There’s literally a chain there named Chicken & Beer, but the one I remember enjoying most was Oppadak.

My brother has lived in Seoul for 12 years now, visited him twice, the food there is outstanding

Reaction Score
I have almost as many great memories of watching those games in my New Haven lunch spots as I do watching them in person. But all pre-Covid and I have no idea what the options are any more. Bear's maybe? Sports Haven?

Definitely watched several at Cask Republic; no idea what, if anything, is in that space now.

Kemba's ankle-breaker was at the bar of Thali Too, which is now Sherkaan and has the bar on the opposite side of the room. Not sure if they even have a TV any more.

Remember watching some at Archie Moore's maybe 20 years ago.
No TV at Sherkaan -- but great food and cocktails! I miss Cask Republic, still empty but I saw some activity in there the other day. Trinity is a good bet now for a game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
no. this whole thread,
no.
this is food,
Grilled-Rib-Eye-Steaks-from-ThisSillyGirlsKitchen.com-feature.jpg

and when that's not 'what's for dinner,' this is,
1200x0.jpg

now, who do i see to get my money back for the time i spent reading this thread? it should be double, to make up for the tasteless hijacks into someone's bathroom habits, or whatever that jersey thing was.
and for that poster who blasphemously misused 'KFC' - im tellin the Colonel. he's got regiments, and stuff.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think there might need to be a downtown New Haven BET watch party if we have games during the work day in 2022.

It's a testament to how long we were removed from the Big East that I read BET as "Black Entertainment Television". Thought that was a rather unusual choice for a watch party.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
sumone has to say it, might as well be me.
being unfamiliar with the brand but way too familiar with the cuisine ('i born here. been there. came home.'), i read 'bonchon' correctly as 'side dish(es), but their wiki sez 'my hometown' as it's meaning.
shenanigans.
'In Korean banchan (side dishes),
Korean diet: Characteristics and historical background - ScienceDirect
then, the idea that deep fried chicken has some historical deep roots there,
also shenanigans.
'As mentioned above, deep-frying techniques could not have been developed in Korea due to the limited production of animal-based and vegetable cooking oils in. Instead, cooking methods that did not require large amounts of oil,...'
Korean diet: Characteristics and historical background - ScienceDirect
as many cultures and nations around the globe deal with the inevitability of 'murican, western, food tastes in ascendancy (look closer and u'll find places like iran and such now actively passing laws to restrict the explosion of folks wanting to eat our foods, except for the 'too much' part of obesity), of course some of them would try to pass off their thing as original, but it's not. a ground goatmeat burger is not a big mac.
Kentucky fried chicken, or southern fried chicken, is just that, cuz, oh, idk,
the absolute reality on the ground there of corn oil, peanut oil, and a whole bunch of other oils easily available far and wide. almost unprecedented in human history, tho the first nation folks did ramp up the corn thing.
pops like to say there was time (the 80s?) when, out of seemingly nowhere, his peer group started swiggin maalox, alka seltzer, tums, nexium ('Esomeprazole is used to treat certain stomach and esophagus problems such as acid reflux, ulcers') and such, and thinking 'whut? didn't anyone teach youse how to eat?'
don't eat too much this, from their menu.

BULL DAK​

Spicy chicken, rice cakes, onions, and hot pepper sauce stir-fried and topped with scallions and sesame seeds and mozzarella cheese. Served with white rice.

spicy chicken and hot pepper sauce? u got a problem.
haha, 'mozzarella' cheese. as if.
'However, dairy cattle were rare and usually milk was available only after a cow gave birth. Moreover, the freshness of milk was a vital factor as it could not be delivered over long distances. Therefore, milk was considered a supplementary food for special occasions or a recovery food after illness.' and only available to the big korean bosses.
Tarak-juk - Wikipedia
on the udder hand, why do you think the 'golden calf' story was a thing, percolating up from the populace and their recent (historically speaking) domestication of bessie, ie, 'this is a great food, but thou shall have no other gods...' the moses and other parts are added for color.
also, rice is not great food, nutritionally. it's subsistent calories for subsistent cultures.
also, soy is not great food, nutritionally. a total estrogen factory, and when grown conventionally with estrogen fertilizers, well....
'Soybeans and edamame are a great source of the phytoestrogen isoflavones. Apart from boosting your estrogen, soybeans have a positive impact on your overall health.'
yeah, umm, no. check out the cite source,
15+ Tasty Foods That Boost Estrogen [Updated for 2021] – Happy Healthy Hippie (happyhealthyhippieco.com)
too freakin funny. ya can't make this stuff up. gee, i wonder why vibrant sperm production by western males is now measured aboot half of what it was in the 1960s?

like pops always sez, 'didn't anyone teach you how to eat for strength, health, and longevity?'
we like to joke aboot that 'siracha' mania of just a few years back. gross.
i bet i can find a hip, edgy, and with it recipe for putting that stuff on ur breakfast corn flakes, and then the proponents standing around congratulating each other on their 'fusion cuisine' breakthru, followed immediately by a trip to the restroom.
i don't like food that makes u run to restroom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom