Two guesses where Jefferson Ashiru landed... | The Boneyard

Two guesses where Jefferson Ashiru landed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nope - the other one;)

testudotimes6:34pm via SB Nation
Maryland adds UConn transfer LB Jefferson Ashiru, eligible immediately
http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/6/12/8774561/jefferson-ashiru-maryland-football-connecticut

>>"I'm really excited to join the Maryland football program and have the opportunity to compete in the Big Ten Conference," Ashiru said in the release. "I have known Coach Edsall and was also recruited by (Maryland defensive backs coach) Darrell Perkins, so those relationships played a key role in my decision to come to Maryland. Coach Edsall is a tremendous leader who cares deeply about his players. I'm looking forward to furthering my education and continuing my football career for a great University."<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah he can't play. I guessed Temple not Fordham for the record.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whoever said the kid couldn't play?

True... everyone and their brother questioned his heart was the issue - my post wasn't precise enough.

I'll have to sit this one out. This topic annoys the crap out of me.

Reaction Score
True... everyone and their brother questioned his heart was the issue - my post wasn't precise enough.

I'll have to sit this one out. This topic annoys the crap out of me.
I thought the coaches questioned his physicality in the summer while praising Stewart's. You know how I feel about Stewart. Ashiru made a critical interception against UCF and forced a fumble against Army. They were among the most athletic plays our LBS made all year.

I liked the kids ability personally, but there are always players that draw the ire of a new coaching staff and he seemed to be one of them.

Reaction Score
This narrative annoys the crap out of me as well. We better show improvement this year. Between the Civil Conflict, Ashiru does not want to play football, the QB rotation, blowing the Memphis game, not being ready for the Army option, kicking FG's for practice, on and on, the doubts are high with this one.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Can't make this up -
So this kid doesn't love FB enough for Diaco to keep him but Big Ten Maryland thinks he is committed enough.

All the talk about not recruiting with p5 schools and one transfers to such a school. Bob - I hope you know what you are doing.

Looks like the player got the last zing in on this Conflict.
'Coach Edsall is a tremendous leader who cares deeply about his players. I'm looking forward to furthering my education and continuing my football career for a great University.'

Reaction Score
He was losing his starting job almost from the get go last season. He was being moved out just like better guy we are getting from FSU this year. He was getting beat out, the coaches wanted to see a better response, they didn't get one . Get over it.

Reaction Score
To think that a coach is going to mesh with 85 guys is silly, especially in a down year with a lot of turmoil. To extrapolate this into a "Bob doesn't know what he is doing" line of reasoning doesn't make much sense to me.

He may not know what he is doing, but I don't look at this as anything other than something that happens during coaching changes.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people are getting fired up over this. Coach comes in and doesn't click with established player. That's about as common as a sunrise. It happens.

Also, Edsall, while a good coach, is a huge phony and primarily cares about himself. Again, stop the presses.

This drama was stirred up by that Cuse hack writer for that small time paper in SW CT. This happens in big boy football.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Good for Ashiru! He has an undergrad degree (or he wouldn't have been able to pull this off) and now he can get a masters degree and play football for another year.

Yup, Edsall loves his players so much that he couldn't bear to say goodbye on his way out of town.

While I was the biggest critic on this board on how RE left the program, a number of kids who were in that locker room in Glendale (and part of the team at least briefly under Pasqualoni) came back when Maryland visited the Rent to see RE. Even with his (at times ridiculously) strict ways and the manner in which he departed, most of his players loved the guy.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Good for Ashiru! He has an undergrad degree (or he wouldn't have been able to pull this off) and now he can get a masters degree and play football for another year.

While I was the biggest critic on this board on how RE left the program, a number of kids who were in that locker room in Glendale (and part of the team at least briefly under Pasqualoni) came back when Maryland visited the Rent to see RE. Even with his (at times ridiculously) strict ways and the manner in which he departed, most of his players loved the guy.
The issue was not if they loved him, but how he showed his love for them when he left.

Reaction Score
Ashiru leaving to play football else where...big deal! Frankly I thought there would have been more turn over then there has been. If Ashiru was the real deal and a RKG he'd be doing another season in Storrs. I hope the guy learned something during his stay and does well in Maryland. He bled Blue and White, now he's bleeding Red & Cartoonish for a guy that's probably in his last season at Maryland anyways.

Reaction Score
Who knows what the dynamic was here. I've said it before, I just don't know what we have in Diaco and I'm a little afraid to find out. We'll know a hell of a lot more after this next season.

As for our LB play, if Ashiru was getting pushed aside by what we have out there now I find it a little hard to figure out why he landed in Maryland. Could simply be they lack some depth. We need huge years out of Stewart and Vann and a couple of the younger guys to really step up. I don't see nearly the talent we have had over he years with Lutrus, Wilson, Moore, Smallwood, but maybe that comes through this season.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Have we ever had a coach that didn't rub at least one player the wrong way enough to make him transfer out? This is just part of college football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Remember anyone who isn't at UConn isn't an RKG. Those might be the three most annoying/stupid letters on the planet.

Reaction Score
Remember anyone who isn't at UConn isn't an RKG. Those might be the three most annoying/stupid letters on the planet.

If Bob is talking about not sacrificing the future of the program for a sake of a few wins this season, I will be convinced it was a bad hire. Good looks and cliches will only get you so far. At some point it has to appear the head coach has an idea on formulating a game plan for that days opponent.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Best of luck to Jefferson. He played hard for us and I can't fault him for wanting a fresh start in his final year of post-grad eligibility. 2014 UConn Football was about as ugly a season as anyone could have imagined.

I think we have talented depth to replace him. Joseph and Vann are obvious and I think Diggs is ready, after watching him in the Spring Game and during brief cameos last year. He's got that athletic frame that can be used as outside edge pass rusher that, over time, can probably get into the backfield better than Jefferson did. Not a knock on JA, I always liked him. I just think Diggs has more upside and the coaching staff wanted to go younger with a guy they successfully pulled out of Ball State.

Anyway, good luck at Maryland, Jefferson. I will be rooting for him to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom