Two and out NBA rule | The Boneyard

Two and out NBA rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The "Two and out rule" is seriously being considered by the NBA in the new contract. This requires players to be out of HS two years before they are eligible for the NBA. I hope this is passed.

Reaction Score
The "Two and out rule" is seriously being considered by the NBA in the new contract. This requires players to be out of HS two years before they are eligible for the NBA. I hope this is passed.
I think this would certainly help stabilize the college game in that rosters, practice approach, etc. could look further down the road than 10 months at a time, and as a fan of the college game first and foremost, I like this idea. I personally preferred college hoop a while back when coaches could build a roster, develop their players, and move forward knowing that most the players would be there for 3+ years. That is when it's fun to watch teams IMO.

However, I simply can't get on board (not that they need me to be on board of course!) with telling an 18 year old adult (young adult, but adult still) that they are not ALLOWED to take a job with an employer willing to pay them for their services.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
It would be nice for us with Drummond, but other teams would benefit as well. I'm with coach: I can't agree with denying young players multi-million-dollar job opportunities in the NBA if that's what they want.

Reaction Score
I've always been a fan of a college baseball-style rule. Let the kids make a decision out of high school; they can either go pro right away or they can go to college but if they go to college, they have to stay for two years. Allows the kids who are ready to go pro right away to do so while ensuring that the kids who aren't ready immediately stay long enough to have meaningful development.

Reaction Score
I think this would certainly help stabilize the college game in that rosters, practice approach, etc. could look further down the road than 10 months at a time, and as a fan of the college game first and foremost, I like this idea. I personally preferred college hoop a while back when coaches could build a roster, develop their players, and move forward knowing that most the players would be there for 3+ years. That is when it's fun to watch teams IMO.

However, I simply can't get on board (not that they need me to be on board of course!) with telling an 18 year old adult (young adult, but adult still) that they are not ALLOWED to take a job with an employer willing to pay them for their services.

This perspective is always one that perplexes me. No one complains when other employers require degrees or experience to land a job, but for some reason the NBA is obligated to hire any talented kid right out of high school. The fact is that NBA owners want the kids to stay in school longer so that they don't have to dish out millions of dollars developing kids that might not even become NBA caliber players. Seems logical to me.

Reaction Score
This perspective is always one that perplexes me. No one complains when other employers require degrees or experience to land a job, but for some reason the NBA is obligated to hire any talented kid right out of high school. The fact is that NBA owners want the kids to stay in school longer so that they don't have to dish out millions of dollars developing kids that might not even become NBA caliber players. Seems logical to me.

I agree that employers in the corporate world have made the decision that they want employees to go to college. That is fine. NBA owners CHOOSE to draft players out of HS, they don't have to do that. NBA owners have to do their due dilligence-do they want to focus their energy and resources on developing KNOWN talent currently in the league, and/or do they want to focus on the high risk/high reward prospect of drafting kids right out of HS?

Employers in the corporate world have to make the same decision, and they just always choose the route of requiring college. NBA owners could choose to do the same. I think that is different than saying an NBA team isn't ALLOWED to choose a kid right out of HS. I agree that kids generally are almost always better off going to college for some length of time at least. That doesn't mean it should be REQUIRED though, I think that level of regulation requires a higher standard to prove why it is being required.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I would never vote to deny an 18-year-old the chance to turn pro straight out of HS, but I've enjoyed that top-ranked recruits are all playing college ball, and I would enjoy watching them play for 2 years. (Especially 1 guy in particular...)

Frankly, if you're going to preclude HS students from going straight to the NBA, then you may as well make it 2 years. The 1 & done rule is pretty dumb. At least after 2 years, a kid is more mature and has some college credits under his belt.

Reaction Score
Why is this board so anti-link? What's the source for this because up until today I really haven't heard this discussed as part of the labor negotiations.

Reaction Score
This could also get bargained away in upcoming negotiations. There's really no way to know what the rule will be until they've agreed on something.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
for UCONN, i actually don't mind the 1 and done format. we are not generally going to get those kids. JC has traditionally never recruited a 1 and done kid, unless you want to count Bynum - as he would have left after one year. my point is that schools like Kentucky and UNC seem like they are going to get the most 1 and dones. while that is great hype, a team of mostly talented freshmen won't beat a team like UCONN that usually has a much better mix of upper classmen. so Kentucky can continue to pile up the 1 and done hype players. if we get one every once in a while, i'll take that along with the kids who develop exponentially while at UCONN over the one and done crowd any day.

Reaction Score
Not sure why the owners and players association are even arguing over this. Owners probably do not want to have to pay millions to 18 yr olds that still have a lot of developmental risk. The current players are probably not too fond of the same players that are getting millions and taking away roster spots before they have demonstrated anything other than they can dominate other HS kids. I have to think both sides are actually in favor of at least a two year min.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is a win-win-win. A win for the NBA, which will allow its teams' front offices to be saved from themselves. A huge win for college basketball. Imagine another year of Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, etc., and how good that would be for the product. And a win for the players, too. Another year of building up your skills, maturing as a person, enjoying college, maybe even getting closer to a degree, God forbid, before dealing with the pressure and temptation of the pro game. Lottery-pick caliber kids could always get insurance for that extra year. Love it, personally.

Reaction Score
we havent heard much about this recently but the nba owners want to change the current way player contracts pay out and this is going to effect the rookie scale which in turn will bring up the one and done rule. i dont see the two year mandatory getting passed but there is no way david stern is going to open it up to hs kids again. i would like to see a two year rule but its because id like to see how the college game would benefit.
the nfl has a two year rule so its possible the nba could adopt it.

Reaction Score
I agree with the earlier post- go strait out of High School if you are ready- if not you stay in school two years. It will make the college game more interesting and help the NBA make better choices on which kids are the real deal.

Reaction Score
I think like the previous poster said, this is a win - win. College basketball will have more time develop more players, bigger names, bigger games. It would also bring some serious attention back to the NBA draft, and people following players. If they had been watching Kevin Durant for two years, they have a better chance of following them in the NBA. The NBA draft has become a joke if you want to speak about the fact that most fans can't name the top 5, even top 10 picks anymore. It seems to be quite watered down.

Reaction Score
The problem with going straight out of high school is who decides if a kid is "ready." Kids, and their entourages, may think they're ready, but few can come onto a roster as productive NBA players.

Reaction Score
Reported today in B. globe in BB notes ,also in sporting news. 2/3 of the GM are for the Two and out rule or 20 years old.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this would impact recruiting, spreading the wealth more. For example if Drummond were to stay for 2 years we may lose out on a 3-4 year recruit. It would certainly affect the landscape of college bball and make for a better product.

Reaction Score
The easiest and most important way to keep college basketball "college basketball" is to allow guys that never want to play in college to enter the NBA draft whenever they want.

Reaction Score
i dont worry about these kids coming out of hs or after one year of college on the court. its the off the court stuff that some have trouble with. give a young kid from a poor background millions of dollars to play with at age 18 and there could be some issues. the nba is a mans league on and off the court.

Reaction Score
I honestly would be cool if they kept it the way it is. Outside of AD its not like we're signing these kids anyway, I don't want to see UK being able to keep these studs for 2 years instead of having to rebuild their team all over again with new team chemistry.

Reaction Score
I honestly would be cool if they kept it the way it is. Outside of AD its not like we're signing these kids anyway, I don't want to see UK being able to keep these studs for 2 years instead of having to rebuild their team all over again with new team chemistry.

The thing to remember, though, is that they couldn't always take the top recruits. No way some of those players commit to UK if they don't think Knight and others are gone. Similarly, if Wall is at UK, Knight is likely at UConn (not that that didn't work out better for us). But its a double edged sword. Top players would have to, due to lack of scholarships, head out to different schools.

Reaction Score
The thing to remember, though, is that they couldn't always take the top recruits. No way some of those players commit to UK if they don't think Knight and others are gone. Similarly, if Wall is at UK, Knight is likely at UConn (not that that didn't work out better for us). But its a double edged sword. Top players would have to, due to lack of scholarships, head out to different schools.
I don't know. What if Knight said to himself, I have to be in school two years anyways so what does it matter if the first year is behind Wall or I start two years somewhere else?

On a related note, did anyone catch the squid's arrogant and obnoxious quote from their midnight madness:

"Tonight we begin to write the next chapter. Tonight we feel the Kentucky effect in full force as we once again redefine college basketball. "

What a blowhard!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul