Tv ratings | The Boneyard

Tv ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Outsider here and a Big 12 fan. I figured you guys would be as knowledgable as any as to how well UConn does in TV ratings for football. Anyone have any ratings info for regular season football either nationally or in your home dma? Any info from the 2010 year when you went to the fiesta?

Reaction Score
Don't know, but I can tell you our women's basketball games were the highest-rated programs on PBS around the country! Too bad that holds absolutely no weight in realignment.

Reaction Score
Don't know, but I can tell you our women's basketball games were the highest-rated programs on PBS around the country! Too bad that holds absolutely no weight in realignment.

Uh, women's bball was the highest rated show on all TV, cable and network, twice last year in the Conn. market on SNY. In terms of all areas that SNY is shown, women's bball knocked a Syracuse men's BE game off the air. If that money is meaningless, then I guess Syracuse is meaningless too!

I can't remember ever seeing TV ratings for UConn football.

I assume your BU refers to Baylor and not Boston U.

If so, this is what Robert Griffin had to say about UConn fans: " The thing that people think is when you go to these big stadiums and they have 80,000 people or 100,000 people, that these are the toughest stadiums to play at, but really, those aren't. When you have that many people, most of the time, the fans are pretty far away from the field. The toughest places to play are the ones that are jam-packed, are really tight to the field, and sit about 45,000 people. When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska. "

Reaction Score
Uh, women's bball was the highest rated show on all TV, cable and network, twice last year in the Conn. market on SNY. In terms of all areas that SNY is shown, women's bball knocked a Syracuse men's BE game off the air. If that money is meaningless, then I guess Syracuse is meaningless too!

I can't remember ever seeing TV ratings for UConn football.

I assume your BU refers to Baylor and not Boston U.

If so, this is what Robert Griffin had to say about UConn fans: " The thing that people think is when you go to these big stadiums and they have 80,000 people or 100,000 people, that these are the toughest stadiums to play at, but really, those aren't. When you have that many people, most of the time, the fans are pretty far away from the field. The toughest places to play are the ones that are jam-packed, are really tight to the field, and sit about 45,000 people. When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska. "

I am a Baylor fan. RG3 had a complimentary quote on the Rench. Does anyone have any idea how you guys did in football tv ratings? Here is what I have found so far:

2007 Louisville on Friday - 1.8 nationally
2008- Friday Baylor at UConn- 1.2 nationally
2010 @ Michigan- 2.7 rating nationally on 3:30 ESPN Saturday
2012 - Friday vs Syracuse on 10/19- .8 rating nationally
2012- Friday vs Pitt on 11/9- .6 rating nationally
2012 Cincinnati ABC on championship week (split national coverage with BSU/Nevada in the West) - 1.0 rating

That is all the info I have that isn't a bowl game.

Bowls got the following nationally:
2009-10: vs South Carolina in PapaJohns Bowl- 1.84
2008-09: vs Buffalo in the International Bowl- 2.1
2007-08: vs Wake Forest in the Meineke in Charlotte- 3.74
2004-05: vs Toledo in the Motor City- 1.7

That is all I got. Do you guys have anything else or data on how well you guys rated in your home state or in NYC?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ESPN took all of our tv ratings from over the years and locked them in the basement because gene told them to.

Reaction Score
Bowls
Ok- 6.15
USCe- 1.84
Buffalo- 2.10
Wake- 3.74
Toledo-1.7

Basically we're only 10 years old and were right in the thick of average ratings to a little below vs some more big time programs. As we build and get older our brand power and ratings will be among the top half of programs. Our BCS bowl vs ok 6.15 was a little under most with some being crazy ratings but most being a 7ish for that level(no ship) game. Vatech-Cincy the year before was a high 5 for example of comparison. Both of those programs have been around longer....
That fiesta bowl was one of the lower rated bcs games iirc. However that is probably less about UConn itself than the fact it was a bcs bowl with a four loss team coming in.

Reaction Score
I am a Baylor fan. RG3 had a complimentary quote on the Rench. Does anyone have any idea how you guys did in football tv ratings? Here is what I have found so far:

2007 Louisville on Friday - 1.8 nationally
2008- Friday Baylor at UConn- 1.2 nationally
2010 @ Michigan- 2.7 rating nationally on 3:30 ESPN Saturday
2012 - Friday vs Syracuse on 10/19- .8 rating nationally
2012- Friday vs Pitt on 11/9- .6 rating nationally
2012 Cincinnati ABC on championship week (split national coverage with BSU/Nevada in the West) - 1.0 rating

That is all the info I have that isn't a bowl game.

Bowls got the following nationally:
2009-10: vs South Carolina in PapaJohns Bowl- 1.84
2008-09: vs Buffalo in the International Bowl- 2.1
2007-08: vs Wake Forest in the Meineke in Charlotte- 3.74
2004-05: vs Toledo in the Motor City- 1.7

That is all I got. Do you guys have anything else or data on how well you guys rated in your home state or in NYC?

I've never seen those ratings. I imagine very little for football in NYC. The bball teams only do a 8 to 10.

Reaction Score
That fiesta bowl was one of the lower rated bcs games iirc. However that is probably less about UConn itself than the fact it was a bcs bowl with a four loss team coming in.

I believe it has more to do with Fiesta Bowl being moved from Fox OTA channel to ESPN cable channel. That was one of the biggest reason for the lower rating.

Reaction Score
The Rench? Only Rebecca Lobo's husband called it that (In Sports Illustrated), and he spelled it the "Wrench". We let him get away with it because he married way over his head & we love 'Becca. Everyone else calls it the RENT!;)

Reaction Score
Dooley-

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I'll take a closer look at the SNY data. That would seem to be strong local data if its for football. I had no doubt about the hoops appeal coming in. How much of those broadcasts are each of Football, MBB, and WBB?

The Nate silver fan count I tend to discard though. No way is FSU the 8th most popular ACC team. Google search traffic isn't a good measure of fan interest. Ticket base, tv ratings, alumni donations, and other measures are far more accurate. UConn is at least on par with the other contenders (except maybe BYU) in the non-tv ratings areas and blows all but BYU away financially. TV ratings I am trying to get an idea on.

The SNY data seems to show UConn does at least a 2 rating in their home DMA in bad years with the potential for 3-4 despite not getting the best games. Not a slam dunk reason to display ratings strength but seems more reliable than some schools I have seen. Thanks for the data.

Reaction Score
I am not from the northeast. Is SNY a cable or network station? How many households does it reach?

My point in asking is this:

Is it more like ABC, Fox Sports Regional, or ESPNU in terms of how available it is?

Reaction Score
At the time, the Fiesta Bowl was the fourth-highest rated college football broadcast in ESPN's history:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010311aaa.html

I tend to look more at in-season ratings. BCS bowls tend to be non-normative. Besides it would do well on ESPN in the first year of ESPN (instead of network stations like ABC or FOX) having the BCS games. What other NCAA football inventory did ESPN have at the time that could draw as many eyeballs as a BCS game?

U

UConn9604

I tend to look more at in-season ratings. BCS bowls tend to be non-normative. Besides it would do well on ESPN in the first year of ESPN (instead of network stations like ABC or FOX) having the BCS games. What other NCAA football inventory did ESPN have at the time that could draw as many eyeballs as a BCS game?

Your comments make sense and I'm not trying to say that we're the fourth-best draw in America -- I was just responding to your request for data (specifically your last request for info on the Fiesta Bowl).

Reaction Score
Your comments make sense and I'm not trying to say that we're the fourth-best draw in America -- I was just responding to your request for data (specifically your last request for info on the Fiesta Bowl).

I get that. Just discussing. No disrespect was intended.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
WordUpBU,

You're welcome! I agree with what you said about Silver's fan count. I only used that since I couldn't find anything to offer you in terms of actual TV ratings in NYC. While the survey itself has flaws, what it *does* show is that UConn football's popularity in New York has already grown to upper level status. In general, I think fans across the country miss a few important things when trying to evaluate UConn football:

1. despite being a young program, it holds a good presence in NYC. If, let's say, the B1G would partner UConn up with somebody in the next wave of CR, that conference would significantly own NYC without doing anything else. The B1G has already signed up for a slot in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium (a spot that the B12 lost) and, after a few years (and depending how the Super Bowl goes), could be seen as a city that hosts more significant bowls in the future given the amount of schools' fan bases reside in the area.

2. UConn also holds interest in Boston. Like NYC, I cannot give you any TV ratings data. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. Ha! I guess I'd suggest Googling UConn + Boston and count the number of times UConn is written about in papers such as the Boston Globe or Boston Herald as a start. It's quite a bit. And then, there is this video from the '11 Final Four game against Kentucky shot at the Cask n' Flagon (bar right across the street from Fenway Park) that doesn't prove anything either but is really cool (you won't find this for a BC game, maybe because BC doesn't play in big games!):

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am not from the northeast. Is SNY a cable or network station? How many households does it reach?
Is it more like ABC, Fox Sports Regional, or ESPNU in terms of how available it is?

Regional, it's known for being the NY Mets station. It's contract with UConn got it much more clearance in CT.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

SNY is a regional cable network available in the tri-state area (or via satellite).

"Cox Communications recently added SNY on cable 62 in all areas in Connecticut just days after UCONN signed a deal with SNY (August 2010).
It was announced on August 29, 2011 that SNY added a second feed for Connecticut branded SNY-CT."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SportsNet_New_York

Reaction Score
Regional, it's known for being the NY Mets station. It's contract with UConn got it much more clearance in CT.

Do you guys have a fox sports regional network as well and is it as widely available?

Reaction Score
The YES network basically the Fox Sports equivalent (now that NewsCorp bought them out) - SNY was originally setup to show Mets games vs YES's Yankees.

The interesting question is going to be next year when Rutgers joins the Big Ten - it's expected that Fox will try to bundle YES and BTN together and try dominate regional sports in the NYC area...meanwhile UConn will be the lone school in the NYC metro area in the AAC starting from 2014.

It'll be impressive if UConn can keep their ratings up then and a real showing of how strong their fanbase is.

Reaction Score
Do you guys have a fox sports regional network as well and is it as widely available?

in short, no. yes/nesn/sny/msg network function as the regional equivalent of the fox sports channels. a regional fox sports channel would fail miserably around here, as just about every MLB/NBA/NHL team in the tri-state area and into boston either owns one of those networks, or is contracted to them. The Yankees own YES, the Mets SNY, the Red Sox are part owners of NESN, and the Dolans own MSG Network. the only exception I can think of off the top of my head are the celtics, who are on a fox-ish network that i think was owned by comcast and I think had some affiliation with Fox, I don't know who owns it now. There have been Fox Sports networks that have popped up over the years around here, but none have been successful and eventually were rebranded as something else.

Reaction Score
SNY is a regional cable network available in the tri-state area (or via satellite).

"Cox Communications recently added SNY on cable 62 in all areas in Connecticut just days after UCONN signed a deal with SNY (August 2010).
It was announced on August 29, 2011 that SNY added a second feed for Connecticut branded SNY-CT."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SportsNet_New_York

SNY reaches 14M homes in the Northeast. It is the home to UCONN FB, MBB and WBB. It is basically the UCONN channel. UCONN women basketball does real well on SNY. SNY showed UCONN women's live game over Syracuse men's live game during the season. UCONN women signed a deal with SNY last year for its tier-3 rights and will be paid $1.14M per year.

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130111&content_id=40929348&vkey=2

On the heels of UConn's victory over Georgetown on Wednesday, SNY, the official television home of the UConn Huskies women's basketball program, announced Friday that the game averaged an 8.52 household rating -- the network's highest rating of the season. This ratings benchmark also signifies the highest household rating in nearly two years for the program in the Hartford-New Haven DMA (UConn-Syracuse, 9.1 household rating on Feb. 28, 2011).
In addition, the game ranked as the No. 1 program in its time period, beating all competitive sports programming airing in the market -- including ESPN's NBA Double Header. UConn-Georgetown on SNY also topped all network prime-time series Wednesday in the Hartford-New Haven DMA -- except ABC's Modern Family (9.05 household rating).
SNY's pregame and postgame coverage -- featuring Kara Wolters and host Gary Apple -- also posted strong household ratings in the Hartford-New Haven DMA for last night's contest. The network's pregame show delivered a 3.61 HH Rating (up 56 percent over the 2.32 STD average household rating). The Post Game Show presented by People's United Bank delivered a 2.90 HH Rating (up 5 percent over the 2.76 STD average household rating).
In its inaugural season carrying the UConn Huskies women's basketball program, SNY has unveiled an unprecedented 340-plus hours of exclusive programming -- including comprehensive pregame, halftime and postgame shows as well as its critically acclaimed Huskies All-Access Show. As a result, SNY has helped the UConn Huskies women's basketball program grow significantly in popularity as the team's television household ratings have increased 18 percent through SNY's first nine games in the Hartford-New Haven DMA.
On Saturday, Jan. 12, SNY will feature a UConn basketball doubleheader with the men's team playing Notre Dame at 2 p.m., followed by the UConn women's basketball team facing Marquette at 4 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom