TV ratings will determine out football future. | The Boneyard

TV ratings will determine out football future.

Reaction Score
Good numbers could make us very attractive for the next round of conference roulette.

However, under Edsall we play one of the most boring, unwatchable styles of football imaginable. That's just a fact.

Reaction Score
Good numbers could make us very attractive for the next round of conference roulette.

However, under Edsall we play one of the most boring, unwatchable styles of football imaginable. That's just a fact.
He should have been fired last December. He has one more shot, anything less than 6 wins and he's out.

Reaction Score
When RE turns this around and he will, they will ultimately build a statue at the Rent for he is the father of UConn football.

He’ll get the roster right. The question is if he can win and move the ball while playing an aggressive, high pressure D. Bland isn’t going to cut it on either side of the ball.

Reaction Score
He is a career losing head coach. He coaches to minimize mistakes. He'll win a few games he shouldn't with other teams shooting themselves in the foot but will let a lot of winnable games slip away by giving the other team just one too many chances.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is his 4th year. He has shown nothing to date but I think he has enough situational awareness to know he has to show us something this season. A bit of reinvention is a must, I think.

Reaction Score
This is his 4th year. He has shown nothing to date but I think he has enough situational awareness to know he has to show us something this season. A bit of reinvention is a must, I think.
Everyone knows I've been one of FHCRE's biggest critics, but I have to ask who has been doing the recruiting lately? They've picked up some decent players in 2021, so far.

Reaction Score
I think people may be underestimating the impact of COVID-19 on the future of college athletics. This could have more impact on UConn athletics than the football TV contract. If a college doesn't open this fall, their finances will be crushed and all academic and athletic programs will face deep cuts. All schools will be out for themselves this fall and they will try to open and play football. And, will schools not play long distance in-conference non-revenue sports games this year? I think we could see a focus on local games this year.

Maybe this will lead to the next round of college sports realignment.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When RE turns this around and he will, they will ultimately build a statue at the Rent for he is the father of UConn football.
At this point a seven win season would warrant a shrine, an eight or nine win season a statue, and ten + would mean small museum.

Lots of continuity with this staff over the past two seasons. 2021 will be a full bore demonstration of what the staff can do developmentally and schematically. Take the lessons from last year and do it all better.

Reaction Score
I think people may be underestimating the impact of COVID-19 on the future of college athletics. This could have more impact on UConn athletics than the football TV contract. If a college doesn't open this fall, their finances will be crushed and all academic and athletic programs will face deep cuts. All schools will be out for themselves this fall and they will try to open and play football. And, will schools not play long distance in-conference non-revenue sports games this year? I think we could see a focus on local games this year.

Maybe this will lead to the next round of college sports realignment.
It’s an interesting observation. Generally, in an economically distressed environment, you see consolidation (joining together). It is very possible you see conference expansion to capture a larger available market share to confine to drive or maintain revenue. Some may try and trim membership but generally reducing market reach which is a driver of revenue is not a smart plan other than in the short term.

Reaction Score
It’s an interesting observation. Generally, in an economically distressed environment, you see consolidation (joining together). It is very possible you see conference expansion to capture a larger available market share to confine to drive or maintain revenue. Some may try and trim membership but generally reducing market reach which is a driver of revenue is not a smart plan other than in the short term.
Revenues come from a handful of sports and there could be consolidation in those sports. The Olympic/non-revenue sports probably need a different (more local) model going forward.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To do that would require the P5 to do something that have never really done and that's add schools without giving them access to their pie. The P5 programs to date have not really added programs in scenarios where their own $$ has been reduced. I see no way ESPN et al let any of the P5 add schools at the same dollar value of compensation they have been paying to date. Instead, I'm sure the media folks would rather see some redundancy in markets reduced....like seeing NC State or Wake depart NC leaving that market to UNC and Duke alone.

Reaction Score
To do that would require the P5 to do something that have never really done and that's add schools without giving them access to their pie. The P5 programs to date have not really added programs in scenarios where their own $$ has been reduced. I see no way ESPN et al let any of the P5 add schools at the same dollar value of compensation they have been paying to date. Instead, I'm sure the media folks would rather see some redundancy in markets reduced....like seeing NC State or Wake depart NC leaving that market to UNC and Duke alone.
I think the objective is dollar arbitrage. You take an AAC Or independent team, for example, making net $5 Million and you let them in for 10 Million for 5 years. You negotiate a reduced add-on rate with ESPN. So, instead of $42 Million, you move that to $30 Million. The net result is the conference picks up another $20 MM, the new entrant picks up another $5 M a year, and ESPN has paid down for the add while leveraging up a new team into higher market tier.

Reaction Score
Revenues come from a handful of sports and there could be consolidation in those sports. The Olympic/non-revenue sports probably need a different (more local) model going forward.
True.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think the objective is dollar arbitrage. You take an AAC Or independent team, for example, making net $5 Million and you let them in for 10 Million for 5 years. You negotiate a reduced add-on rate with ESPN. So, instead of $42 Million, you move that to $30 Million. The net result is the conference picks up another $20 MM, the new entrant picks up another $5 M a year, and ESPN has paid down for the add while leveraging up a new team into higher market tier.
That all makes some sense to me, but again to date we haven't seen Universities operating that way when adding schools which is a way where you are really adding a program as a permanent junior member. Its permanent because even when the current media deal runs out, the core schools dont want to take a revenue hit on the next contract. And so in that scenario, how do a basket of non profit universities tell that new junior member they we always be junior and we will keep you junior subject to this formula for all future media contracts until the disbandment of this confederation? And when you play that out, what if the junior member struggles like Rutgers? There will be this feeling that the junior member is a punching bag and doesn't have a fair chance because the revenue split is uneven.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really when you come right down to it widespread leagues that make some sense for football and basketball don’t make a lot for really any other sports. Though the NCAA doesn’t want it, the Hockey East model would make a ton of sense for UConn and everyone else for everything from soccer to swimming to track to baseball. Even the Big East with Teams in Chicago and Nebraska and Ohio doesn’t make that much sense for non-revenue sports. Soccer plays UMass URI St Johns Bu Providence in basically a bus league with maybe 1 “exotic” road game. Baseball /softball does the same. Maybe they go south for spring break And play 10 games Then it’s New York and New England New Jersey With one weekend trip to South Carolina this year and Carolina comes here next. Baseball actually is absurd. They start in midFebruary and travel to Florida, Texas Arizona South Carolina multiple times. And that doesn’t include league games. They are on the road every weekend from Valentine’s Day to April Fools dayand basically they are all long trips.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

In before @Guapo says “triple option.”

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
He should have been fired last December. He has one more shot, anything less than 6 wins and he's out.

5. Four might even get him another year if we are competitive and the four wins are at the end of the season. But he’s definitely got to show some sign of life.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anything short of a complete disaster and he will be back for at least one more.

Wins may not be the determining factor but anything less than 4 is pushing his luck. 5 and he is definitely back.

Reaction Score
At this point a seven win season would warrant a shrine, an eight or nine win season a statue, and ten + would mean small museum.

Lots of continuity with this staff over the past two seasons. 2021 will be a full bore demonstration of what the staff can do developmentally and schematically. Take the lessons from last year and do it all better.
Lot of lessons to learn in a year you go 2-10 and the only FBS team you beat in the #130 FBS team (there are only 130). Part of continuity in an underpaid coaching staff is that no one else wants them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom