TV Ratings for playoffs down 36% on NYE | Page 3 | The Boneyard

TV Ratings for playoffs down 36% on NYE

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm curious what's going to happen next year in terms of the bowls being on New Year's Day. Next year Jan 1 is a Sunday. How is that going to match up against what I'm assuming will be Week 17 in the NFL? It's clearly no coincidence that there are no Bowls on Monday night or last Sunday? This year the Bowls end on Saturday the 2nd. Are they going to match up the Bowl games with the NFL? I can't remember what they've done in the past.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what's going to happen next year in terms of the bowls being on New Year's Day. Next year Jan 1 is a Sunday. How is that going to match up against what I'm assuming will be Week 17 in the NFL? It's clearly no coincidence that there are no Bowls on Monday night or last Sunday? This year the Bowls end on Saturday the 2nd. Are they going to match up the Bowl games with the NFL? I can't remember what they've done in the past.

The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl will be played on Jan 2

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
College bowls have never gone head to head with the NFL, just as the NFL does not hold Saturday games during the college regular season. It's not so much a gentlemen's agreement (though I'm sure that is part of it) as a business decision. They are competing, more or less, for the same eye balls.

There is no Monday Night Football game for week 17 and the New Year Holiday is observed by most workers the following Monday, Jan. 2.

Reaction Score
People will grow tired of the playoff because it will basically be the same teams over and over. Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, USC, etc. It's like the movie "Groundhog Day".

It's also like a mini-NFL, with even fewer teams able to win the championship (at least the NFL has 32 teams).
I don't think you can say that just yet. In two years 7 different teams have been in it. Definitely think we get some new blood next year too, Tennessee for example.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't think you can say that just yet. In two years 7 different teams have been in it. Definitely think we get some new blood next year too, Tennessee for example.
In two years, only 5 conferences have been represented. That will not change going forward. At 10-0, Houston was ranked #19 in the CFP rankings behind a handful of 2 loss teams. Even if they are perfect, a G-5 program has virtually no shot at getting into the playoff, and the gap between virtual and literal is almost non-existent and shrinking.

Reaction Score
In two years, only 5 conferences have been represented. That will not change going forward. At 10-0, Houston was ranked #19 in the CFP rankings behind a handful of 2 loss teams. Even if they are perfect, a G-5 program has virtually no shot at getting into the playoff, and the gap between virtual and literal is almost non-existent and shrinking.
I don't think that's a slight at Houston, they didn't play a ranked team until the 11th week of the season.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Having said that, I support an 8 team playoff as a compromise. All five P5 champs and then use subjectivity to determine the most deserving G5 champ and the two best at large. Seed and bracket them like the hoops tourney. First round at the home of the higher seed. Semi-finals at two of the New Year's Day bowls (not NYE -- we saw this year why that was not a good idea)

Although I'm a big proponent of running an FCS-style 16 team tourney, I also realize that the P5 will never give up their conference championship money, nor will they be running to vote for more inclusion to the G5 in the playoff format. Having said that, I could live with your proposal of an 8-team "Champions" bracket, where at least one of the G5 gets inclusion.

As we have all seen over the last 2 years with UCF and Houston, the AAC can handle their business against some of the "blue bloods". While the chances of one of our teams winning it all would be extremely low, they deserve the chance to play for it all...

Husky25

Reaction Score
There was only one ranked G-5 team to start the season. The AP's perception creates the G-5 reality when it comes to the CFP. It's not only a slight against Houston, but an indictment of the P-5/G-5 system itself.

Reaction Score
Having said that, I could live with your proposal of an 8-team "Champions" bracket, where at least one of the G5 gets inclusion.
I've been thinking 8 teams all along, I think its the happy medium. Give each P5 champion an automatic bid, and then a bid to the highest rated G5 champion, and finally 2 at large bids. If there is no ranked G5 champion, give 3 at larges.
There was only one ranked G-5 team to start the season. The AP's perception creates the G-5 reality when it comes to the CFP. It's not only a slight against Houston, but an indictment of the P-5/G-5 system itself.
And how many ranked G5 teams will there be to finish the season? Probably 3.

First off, I fully believe an undefeated Memphis makes the playoff. They were sitting at 8-0 and ranked 13th. From that point of the season on, the top 12 in the CFP ranking lost a combined 17 times. Memphis had Navy, @Houston, @Temple, SMU, and then likely Temple again in the AAC championship game. If Memphis wins out, combined with how the other teams fared to end the season, Memphis is in the group of Oklahoma, Stanford, and Iowa at the very least.

As to Houston, I feel like they are kicking themselves for giving a home and home to Texas State. Most definitely kicking themselves over the UConn loss. If Houston goes undefeated, they almost certainly end the season in the top 10. The UConn loss wrecked their perception, as did weak finishes from Cincy and Memphis. But back to my point about Texas State, I feel that if that is a series vs any P5 team, even a school like Kansas, Houston breaks into the ranking quicker. Next year they start off with a neutral site game against Oklahoma, have Louisville at home, and the Texas State game is on the road. I think Houston is going to absolutely sprint through the AAC next season (look at their schedule) and Oklahoma/Louisville are very likely to be ranked when Houston plays them. If an undefeated Houston can't make the CFP next season, then I think it is fair to complain about the P5/G5 as it related to the playoff.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I stopped reading after, if Houston goes undefeated, they finish in your he top 10," because you made my point for me. If Houston goes undefeated they should have been playing in the late games on Friday, not the early game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I stopped reading after, if Houston goes undefeated, they finish in your he top 10," because you made my point for me. If Houston goes undefeated they should have been playing in the late games on Friday, not the early game.

Why? Just because? What if Toledo was. Or La Tech?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why? Just because? What if Toledo was. Or La Tech?

What about them? Toledo had two losses and LA Tech had 4. Neither played in the own conference championship game, let alone win it it in impressive fashion and neither of them passed the eye test the way Houston did. Had they gone undefeated it'd be a different story, but that goes to my larger point. A G-5 program will never match up in they of the committee. Look at the New Year's Day 6 bowl games. 11 P-5, 1 G-5.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What about them? Toledo had two losses and LA Tech had 4. Neither played in the own conference championship game, let alone win it it in impressive fashion and neither of them passed the eye test the way Houston did. Had they gone undefeated it'd be a different story, but that goes to my larger point. A G-5 program will never match up in they of the committee. Look at the New Year's Day 6 bowl games. 11 P-5, 1 G-5.

If they were undefeated should they be in?

I don't see how you decide this until there is someone worthy and they are left out.

Houston didn't have one of the four best resumes in the country so who cares is they were 5th or 19th.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If, if, if. They weren't.

Houston was 10-0 and ranked 19 with 5 (IIRC) 2 loss teams ahead of them. The deserved to be a single digit rank.

UConn beat them so all bets are off, but the fact remains that Houston was an afterthought when they deserved to be in the conversation.

Reaction Score
If, if, if. They weren't.

Houston was 10-0 and ranked 19 with 5 (IIRC) 2 loss teams ahead of them. The deserved to be a single digit rank.

UConn beat them so all bets are off, but the fact remains that Houston was an afterthought when they deserved to be in the conversation.
The combined records of those 10 teams at that point in time was 39-54. Of those 10 games, 6 were at home. Only 4 of the teams had a record above .500; none were ranked.

1. Clemson 10-0
2. Alabama 9-1
3. Ohio State 10-0
4. Notre Dame 9-1
5. Iowa 10-0
6. Oklahoma State 10-0
7. Oklahoma 9-1
8. Florida 9-1
9. Michigan State 9-1
10. Baylor 8-1

Which of those teams did Houston deserve to be ranked higher than?

Husky25

Reaction Score
The combined records of those 10 teams at that point in time was 39-54. Of those 10 games, 6 were at home. Only 4 of the teams had a record above .500; none were ranked.

1. Clemson 10-0
2. Alabama 9-1
3. Ohio State 10-0
4. Notre Dame 9-1
5. Iowa 10-0
6. Oklahoma State 10-0
7. Oklahoma 9-1
8. Florida 9-1
9. Michigan State 9-1
10. Baylor 8-1

Which of those teams did Houston deserve to be ranked higher than?

Houston was #13 in the AP, but who cares? The only poll that really matters is the CFP poll, where they were #19. There were at least 5 teams they deserved to be ahead in that poll.

If you support UConn, how do you continue to justify the actions of the P-5 and the selection committee?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Houston was #13 in the AP, but who cares? The only poll that really matters is the CFP poll, where they were #19. There were at least 5 teams they deserved to be ahead in that poll.

If you support UConn, how do you continue to justify the actions of the P-5 and the selection committee?

Like I said until they botch the Top 4 - who cares what it looks like from 5 down if they have the right G5 team ranked highest.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to say that a G-5 team hasn't had a win vs. a top 25 team when only 1 / 75 teams are ranked to start the season. No G-5 team was in consideration for a playoff spot at the end of the year even when they deserve to be.

What's worse? Fans of G-5 teams are starting to buy into the very system most agree is still broken.

Reaction Score
Because the G5 has yet to produce a team that belonged in the playoff. Houston has a chance next season. They'll have the hype by starting out the season ranked. Big early season matchup with Oklahoma, and they have Louisville on the back end. The AAC is shaping up to be the best G5 conference again, and looking at Houston's slate they should go 8-0. If an undefeated Houston can't make it next season (unless there are 4 undefeated P5 teams) then you can complain.

I'm not concerned as a UConn fan because Warde/Diaco get it. If you think you might have a good squad, you have to have the correct schedule in place. We do. In 2016, we have Virginia, Syracuse, and Boston College on our out of conference schedule. In 2017 we have Virginia, Mizzou, and Boston College. If you run the table in conference and beat 3 P5 teams OOC, you'll be in the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom