TV networks taking over Friday nights | The Boneyard

TV networks taking over Friday nights

Reaction Score
TV Networks Taking Over Friday Nights

>>Friday nights in the fall used to be sacred. They were reserved strictly for high school football. There weren't any collegiate games on Friday nights. And there certainly weren't any NFL games on Friday nights.Just high school.<<

>> But, now, all this has changed. Thanks to television networks, which don't give a rat's behind about prep football, now Fridays are actually the second-most popular day for college football behind only Saturday.<<

>>There are 44 games scheduled on Friday nights this coming season. The next highest is Thursday with 35 games, followed by Tuesday with eight, Wednesday with seven and Monday with one.<<

Just consider this rundown of the 10 FBS leagues' schedules.

> SEC: This is the only league that still clings to values. It has one game scheduled on Thursday in 2019 and none on Friday.​
> Big 12: It has merely three Friday night games and one on Thursday.​
> Big Ten: Its schedule includes five Friday games and one on Thursday.​
> ACC: What a smorgasbord. Its menu includes one Monday night game, five on Thursday and six on Friday.​
> Pac-12: So much for West Coast preps. This league has three games on Thursday and a whopping 12 on Friday nights.​
> AAC: It has 12 Thursday games and six on Fridays.​
> Mountain West: It has only one Thursday game and just three on Fridays.​
> Mid-American: It's all over the week. The MAC has eight games on Tuesday, five on Wednesday, five on Thursday and four on Friday.​
> C-USA: It has three on Thursday and five on Fridays.​
> Sun Belt: It is somewhat bizarre with two Wednesday games and six on Thursday, but none on Friday.​

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Can't find any data that separates attendance by day of the week, but these Thursday and Friday games seem like attendance killers.

4 of our 6 home games are on Saturday, with Wagner on a Thursday and Navy on a Friday. Navy game should draw -- that Wagner game, despite being the season opener, is brutal on a Thursday.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You read an article like this and the only takeaway is that it is amazing people still get paid to write about sports for newspapers. Clearly they ran out of ideas a long time ago.

Reaction Score
I like Friday games, as long as kickoff is at 8:00 or later. Not a fan of Thursday games and I honestly hate noon kickoffs on Saturday too.

Reaction Score
What a silly take:

What a shame.
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Considering high school football produces all the talent for college football, that's exactly what is happening.

The 7200 fans that show up to watch Stephenville football in Texas are still going to go to those games as are the 3 to 500 in CT.

Those that love college football like myself, like Friday night games and Thursday night games because when you have kids, your Saturdays tend to be busy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I like Friday games, as long as kickoff is at 8:00 or later. Not a fan of Thursday games and I honestly hate noon kickoffs on Saturday too.
You miss your calling as a carnival barker?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't mind Friday night games in the least. They just take a scant amount more planning. The Thursday night game tends to only be just before Labor Day weekend, which extends the holiday to 4 1/2 days. Nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score

Hate the 12:00 Sat start.

Reaction Score
Hate the 12:00 Sat start.
I know it's "tradition" but that's because they didn't have lights for god's sake lol. 3:30 Saturday is perfect. Plenty of time to tailgate, and plenty of time after to celebrate or drink your sorrows away.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Over the last 16 years.'ve gotten used to the noon kickoffs. I maintain that 5 hours of tailgating is too long because crews try to cram two full meals (and maybe some snacks) into that time frame.

Alas, if the gates open for STHs at 7:00, my group is inevitably in line at 6:55.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom