Turnover kings | The Boneyard

Turnover kings

Reaction Score
Head bang And no fast break, poor shooting, combined with no set plays to run. Defense is fine Hurley, time to work on everything else.

Reaction Score
I’m quite sure Hurley works on it. It’s difficult when we’re running 3.5 against 5 in the half court

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Head bang And no fast break, poor shooting, combined with no set plays to run. Defense is fine Hurley, time to work on everything else.

31 points in transition off of their turnovers. That was the one thing we did well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need more than one shooter.
Cole should help as well as Polley’s return. My big hope is that Gaffney and Bouknight live in the gym this offseason. Both of them should be relatively dependable shooters if they put in the time. That would open up the offense significantly.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how it seems like every D-1 school has at least one or two shooters and we haven’t had One in 5 years. How is that possible??
How is it possible that people who have d-1 scholarships who currently play at Uconn can't shoot? To me, it's an integral part of the game and it is absolutely horrific to watch a collection of players who havent figured that out

C

Chief00

How is it possible that people who have d-1 scholarships who currently play at Uconn can't shoot? To me, it's an integral part of the game and it is absolutely horrific to watch a collection of players who havent figured that out
To me it says not enough guys are spending time in the gym on their own shooting. I could go through a list of past players who did that. The other thing is, it hasn't been the recruiting focus it should be.

Reaction Score
To me it says not enough guys are spending time in the gym on their own shooting. I could go through a list of past players who did that. The other thing is, it hasn't been the recruiting focus it should be.
I need another Rashad Anderson in my life

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Didn‘t Bouk have a rep as a shooter coming in? He’s 29% from 3. Polley went from 38 to 40.5. Adams and Sid are better but not good. Vital is 10% under last year. Al is worse than in a year where he wasn’t really 100% physically. Last year numbers in parentheses.

Vital 30.8% (40.9%)
AG 30.8% (33.6%)
Bouk 29%
Adams 30.6% (23.5%)
Akok 28.6%
Gaff 27.6%
Wilson 27.3% (22.9%)

So, has anyone looked at how tight the rims are in our practice facility? Are these guys making stuff there and not in games?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We didn't make many TO's the last few games. Whaddya gonna do?

Reaction Score
Didn‘t Bouk have a rep as a shooter coming in? He’s 29% from 3. Polley went from 38 to 40.5. Adams and Sid are better but not good. Vital is 10% under last year. Al is worse than in a year where he wasn’t really 100% physically. Last year numbers in parentheses.

Vital 30.8% (40.9%)
AG 30.8% (33.6%)
Bouk 29%
Adams 30.6% (23.5%)
Akok 28.6%
Gaff 27.6%
Wilson 27.3% (22.9%)

So, has anyone looked at how tight the rims are in our practice facility? Are these guys making stuff there and not in games?
Terrifying how poorly they shoot.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I don’t understand how it seems like every D-1 school has at least one or two shooters and we haven’t had One in 5 years. How is that possible??
Because everyone wants super athletes who can dunk and bigs, and shooting has been third on the recruiting list. It has to be first. If you throw five guys on the floor who can all hit an open shot you are a very dangerous team.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Because everyone wants super athletes who can dunk and bigs, and shooting has been third on the recruiting list. It has to be first. If you throw five guys on the floor who can all hit an open shot you are a very dangerous team.
I agree with this. Athleticism is great, but in the end if it doesn't generate points and victories, it's of little value. Absolutely with you, recruiting SHOOTERS should be the top priority. Not even necessarily someone like Kemba who can create his own shots, but someone who can shoot and move well off the ball and get good looks.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I agree we need to prioritize it, but Akok was supposed to be a big who could stretch the floor. Bouk was supposed to be a shooter, and Gaffney shot well in HS. I watch a fair amount of Kansas games and love seeing a local 3 star freshman guard like Christian Braun be a major contributor, shooting 43.8% from 3. Would we even recruit a guy like that (not from the boonies of KS certainly but if he was in say Maine?).

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I agree we need to prioritize it, but Akok was supposed to be a big who could stretch the floor. Bouk was supposed to be a shooter, and Gaffney shot well in HS. I watch a fair amount of Kansas games and love seeing a local 3 star freshman guard like Christian Braun be a major contributor, shooting 43.8% from 3. Would we even recruit a guy like that (not from the boonies of KS certainly but if he was in say Maine?).
Maybe they were, but the best we can say right now about the freshmen shooting is that it’s ‘streaky’. I believe your 2 and 3 both need to be solid from outside and especially from 3. Your 4 and 5 need to be capable of making open shots from 10-15 feet; if one can hit a 3 now and then it really stretches the D.

As for PG, a good shooter is a bonus. If the PG can penetrate, orchestrate, draw fouls, play great D and dish the rock then it’s not as important. Hey, you’ve got all those good shooters to kick to, right? Think Jason Kidd.

C

Chief00

The badly run offense magnifies our poor shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom