Turning The Page | The Boneyard

Turning The Page

Reaction Score
1543873292305.png

Just what is a Billiken?
The Billiken is a mythical good-luck figure who represents "things as they ought to be."
Before he was Saint Louis University's mascot, he was a national sensation, a figure who was turned into dolls, marshmallow candies, metal banks, hatpins, pickle forks, belt buckles, auto hood ornaments, salt and pepper shakers, bottles and more.
To buy a Billiken gives the purchaser luck, but to have one given to you is better luck.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I hope St Louis can use the game as a learning experience that propels it to greater success. And I hope they enjoy the game in the process

I love these teams that agree to the home games for our seniors and always root for them for the rest of the season

Reaction Score
1543873385703.png

Here's a Billiken. It's a good luck symbol representing "things as they ought to be." A perfect accompaniment for UConn's ascension to #1: things as they ought to be. Not surprisingly, no one seems to be willing to accept responsibility for coming up with this mascot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
View attachment 37041

Just what is a Billiken?
The Billiken is a mythical good-luck figure who represents "things as they ought to be."
Before he was Saint Louis University's mascot, he was a national sensation, a figure who was turned into dolls, marshmallow candies, metal banks, hatpins, pickle forks, belt buckles, auto hood ornaments, salt and pepper shakers, bottles and more.
To buy a Billiken gives the purchaser luck, but to have one given to you is better luck.

Actually, @Sunny44 , this particular version of their Billiken was introduced in the fall of 2016 and retired several months later due to student and fan uproar! Billiken backlash: SLU will redesign mascot again

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This from the Register this PM:

Collier’s father, Gamal, said the family had an allotment of 334 tickets to hand out for the game. The Billikens’ average attendance is only 506.

“I’m really excited,” she said on Sunday. “I haven’t played in front of them live. It’s going to be really cool to have pretty much everyone I know in St. Louis.”

Women’s Basketball Gameday: No. 1 UConn vs. St. Louis

The basketball hall seats over 10,000. I wonder how the game will draw?

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
View attachment 37042
Here's a Billiken. It's a good luck symbol representing "things as they ought to be." A perfect accompaniment for UConn's ascension to #1: things as they ought to be. Not surprisingly, no one seems to be willing to accept responsibility for coming up with this mascot.
Wikipedia claims the doll was created by Florence Pretz, a Missouri art teacher,. The name is from a poem by Bliss Carmen. , circa 1896. Not entirely sure how the school adopted it. One site says it looked like a coach there. There are even songs about them! Great having time and nothing else to do! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
View attachment 37042

HUSKY D: Damn - will have to search my files. Don't recall giving out permission to display my likeness.

Reaction Score
HUSKY D: Damn - will have to search my files. Don't recall giving out permission to display my likeness.

Thanks for not using your likeness on this site.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="huskyd, Thanks for not using your likeness on this site

HUSKY D: Yeh, that was thoughtless of me, especially around supper time for some.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
On to the St. Louis U Billikens. Napheesa's senior homecoming game. From the U's website, their pregame review:

WBB Preview: Billikens vs. UConn

In the A10 with a #159 ranking, Massey says 94-49.

No, the Billiken mascot is not a depiction of an albino devil, but an odd symbol of good luck.
Awe man, I thought this was going to be a Bob Seger thread....:(

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This from the Register this PM:

Collier’s father, Gamal, said the family had an allotment of 334 tickets to hand out for the game. The Billikens’ average attendance is only 506.

“I’m really excited,” she said on Sunday. “I haven’t played in front of them live. It’s going to be really cool to have pretty much everyone I know in St. Louis.”

Women’s Basketball Gameday: No. 1 UConn vs. St. Louis

The basketball hall seats over 10,000. I wonder how the game will draw?
10,600. I have tickets to the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom