Turning point | The Boneyard

Turning point

Reaction Score
yea i was thinking the same thing at that moment.

there was also another bad play on the following possession, but can’t recall the details

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
When we were down 1 and Jackson coughed it up on a short attempted pass to Whaley, I had a strong feeling we wouldn't ever take the lead. I hate being right.
That really was a killer.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you can just tell.

We had about 6 or 7 chances to get over the hump and take the lead and failed every time, and they usually went on a 4-0 or 5-0 run immediately after.

Knew it so much I put an in-game bet on Creighton +115 when we tied but failed to go ahead (somehow the live betting was still giving us credit as a favorite).

Reaction Score
Sometimes you can just tell.

We had about 6 or 7 chances to get over the hump and take the lead and failed every time, and they usually went on a 4-0 or 5-0 run immediately after.

Knew it so much I put an in-game bet on Creighton +115 when we tied but failed to go ahead (somehow the live betting was still giving us credit as a favorite).
It was in the stars. Loose balls. Injuries. Another slow start. I want them again next week but fear that creighton may have figured out what they have at center. This was the most dunks against us in forever and not from an elite team. Creighton is a problem for the next few years with kalimba nembhart and Alexander. Better figure it out.

Reaction Score
When we were down 1 and Jackson coughed it up on a short attempted pass to Whaley, I had a strong feeling we wouldn't ever take the lead. I hate being right.
Very true. I was fuming angry with that careless play. But it comes down to the fact Jax is predictable. He thinks pass first pass second pass third. He really doesn’t want to shoot and he won’t penetrate to the basket. The only shot he is comfortable and confident taking is the dunk.

Reaction Score
Very true. I was fuming angry with that careless play. But it comes down to the fact Jax is predictable. He thinks pass first pass second pass third. He really doesn’t want to shoot and he won’t penetrate to the basket. The only shot he is comfortable and confident taking is the dunk.
We’re guaranteed between 1 and 3 of those lazy entry pass turnovers every game by some combo of Jackson, Martin, and Gaff. Every.single.game.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Same here. My heart dropped on that turnover. Looked like he just handed the ball over. It is turnovers like that the deflates our guys. Most of Jackson's turnover's result in a quick score.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Jackson 0-6 from beyond the arc. Polley 2 of (only) 3. Could you have handed the game to Creighton any easier?
Just ftr, On the season, AJax is 35.3% from 3. Polley is 35.4%. So you're talking 0.1% advantage for Polley.

There's a solid argument for going with the hot hand. Polley averages 4-5 attempts per game and if he's on, he's on. But if he's off, he's really off. He was on last night and should've had more plays called for him down the stretch. But there really isn't much of an argument for AJax not taking 2-3 attempts per game from out there.

Hell, you could argue that Akok should've seen some minutes on offense over Whaley just to shoot threes. But I don't think AJax's 0-6 from 3 was the real difference here. It was not getting over the hump and not figuring out a way to neutralize Kalkbrenner. DH simply kept playing into McDermott's hand.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Just ftr, On the season, AJax is 35.3% from 3. Polley is 35.4%. So you're talking 0.1% advantage for Polley.

There's a solid argument for going with the hot hand. Polley averages 4-5 attempts per game and if he's on, he's on. But if he's off, he's really off. He was on last night and should've had more plays called for him down the stretch. But there really isn't much of an argument for AJax not taking 2-3 attempts per game from out there.

Hell, you could argue that Akok should've seen some minutes on offense over Whaley just to shoot threes. But I don't think AJax's 0-6 from 3 was the real difference here. It was not getting over the hump and not figuring out a way to neutralize Kalkbrenner. DH simply kept playing into McDermott's hand.
Yeah, all around it was a poorly executed game.

Reaction Score
It was in the stars. Loose balls. Injuries. Another slow start. I want them again next week but fear that creighton may have figured out what they have at center. This was the most dunks against us in forever and not from an elite team. Creighton is a problem for the next few years with kalimba nembhart and Alexander. Better figure it out.
You forgot the biggest problem....McDermott

Reaction Score
Jackson makes some great feeds into the post but some of the "ball is life " alley oop feeds to Sanogo are too flashy for the hands of Sanogo. Jackson needs to slash more to the hoop and develop a jumper that doesnt resemble someone shooting a bowling ball.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Agree. I didn’t necessarily think we wouldn’t come back, but that’s an example of a play where I say “what the fudge” to myself every now and then. It was a lazy pass but no one really did a good job of getting open to help him either after he picked up his dribble.

Reaction Score
Jackson 0-6 from beyond the arc. Polley 2 of (only) 3. Could you have handed the game to Creighton any easier?
Unless outside shooting improves considerably over next few years, this will be the problem that keeps UConn from great success and possibly a championship

Reaction Score

Well- also keep in mind that when AJ misses, he often misses horribly- air balls, no rim / off target to the side of the backboard, etc. like he did a few times last night. Guys underneath are anticipating the carom off the rim and are positioned accordingly. So when he’s off, it’s quite likely to be 1-and-done while Polley misses at least set up the offensive rebounder.

Reaction Score

Except Polley takes 3 times as many 3's as Jackson so just taking their percentages is incredibly misleading. That 35% from Jackson is also misleading because it's falling fast, he started out the year shooting 54% but has shot 4/25 over the last 12 games. The last thing we need is more Jackson 3's

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Except Polley takes 3 times as many 3's as Jackson so just taking their percentages is incredibly misleading. That 35% from Jackson is also misleading because it's falling fast, he started out the year shooting 54% but has shot 4/25 over the last 12 games. The last thing we need is more Jackson 3's
And 6 weeks ago Polley was under 30% and is climbing

Reaction Score

Being at the game helps with perspective. In warm-ups, Polley was draining 3 after 3 after 3. His shot is silky smooth. Unlike earlier in the year, when his shot was flatter, he's putting air under the ball. He misses his1st in the game, and doesn't shoot again for an eternity.

AJAX, has the worst looking shot I've ever seen. I was screaming NO!, every time he chucked one up. I love the kid. He has mad ball skills, but he must spend the off-season reinventing his shot.

Reaction Score
And 6 weeks ago Polley was under 30% and is climbing
You’ve got to go with the hot hand and Tyler has be pretty good of late. The problem last night was Creighton was sticking to Polley like glue And we did little to free him. 3 shots in 25 minutes is not getting the job done

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You can’t be serious. Over the last 7/8 games AJ is close to 20% from 3 and Polley is over 40%. If you can’t see they are going in opposite directions you are just blind.

It’s blatantly clear that AJ making those 3s early in the year was fools gold. With that “form” he was bound to come back to earth. Last night was NOT the night for him to have his season high of 3 point attempts.

Reaction Score
You can’t be serious. Over the last 7/8 games AJ is close to 20% from 3 and Polley is over 40%. If you can’t see they are going in opposite directions you are just blind.

It’s blatantly clear that AJ making those 3s early in the year was fools gold. With that “form” he was bound to come back to earth. Last night was NOT the night for him to have his season high of 3 point attempts.
Let me correct myself, since the end of Jan AJ is 4-25 from 3 incl last night. That’s 16%.

I think he should not shoot ANY 3s, let alone 5

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Let me correct myself, since the end of Jan AJ is 4-25 from 3 incl last night. That’s 16%.

I think he should not shoot ANY 3s, let alone 5
Well, he shot six, so you must be blind ;-)

If you want to cherry pick, in the six games prior to last night he was 33% and one could argue that his trey vs SJU kept the game from going OT.

Should he have shot 6 times last night? Not after seeing the first two. But I'll continue to argue that AJax wasn't the prime reason our guys lost. Not even in top 3 reasons.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom