Turner | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Injuries are part of the game. For the record, it's the 1st time. Not having Achonwa was similar to UCONN not having Tuck. I realize Achonwa was a starter and Tuck would have come off the bench, but you've seen how tremendous Tuck is this year. Also, UCONN is without Ekmark. She was averaging close to 20 MPG before her injury.
Eric, are you implying that Ekmark being unavailable vs. Notre Dame somehow equates to Turner being unavailable? Ekmark wasn't averaging 20 minutes/game, but rather played 19 minutes during the blowout win vs. UC-Davis. That was the only game she played and she didn't even score. Turner has started all 8 games for Notre Dame and is their second leading scorer, averaging 14 pts/game and shooting over 60% from the field. She also leads the team in blocks. I feel this is even a less apt comparison than comparing Tuck's absence to Achonwa's. Regardless, injuries are a part of the game, and the show must go on. I won't be making an excuses.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe you should be asking Eric this when you're quoting, since he brought it up?

Or is it just that you agree with Eric's view and not Dawson's?
I did not bring it up. I was merely replying to another post. ND never used no Achonwa as an excuse for getting blown out but other schools fans did.
This is homerism at its finest....there is no way UCONN losing Tuck early in the year is comparable to Notre Dame losing Achonwa just before the Final Four. If UCONN lost Dolson in the Elite 8, then you'd have a more plausible comparison.
Do you even read before you post? The OP i was replying to referenced this is the 2nd time ND would be facing UCONN when they weren't at full strength. I pointed out that is an error since UCONN was missing Tuck in last year's NC game. The fact that Tuck was injured earlier is irrelevant for the conversation. I was not arguing that losing Achonwa at that late a date was the same as losing Tuck 8 games into the season, just that we were not at 100% either and that BOTH teams were missing key players.

Geno certainly recruited Tuck, Stewie and Jefferson in the same class and passed over other kids in that class and the following year because he had Tuck. My point was, and remains, that we were missing a key player on our team. When you look at how magnificently Tuck played today, I think even you can agree UCONN could have used her last year, but they didn't need her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I did not bring it up. I was merely replying to another post. ND never used no Achonwa as an excuse for getting blown out but other schools fans did.
Do you even read before you post? The OP i was replying to referenced this is the 2nd time ND would be facing UCONN missing a key player. I pointed out that is an error since UCONN was missing Tuck in last year's NC game. The fact that Tuck was injured earlier is irrelevant for the conversation. I was not arguing that losing Achonwa at that late a date was the same as losing Tuck 8 games into the season, just that we were not at 100% either and that BOTH teams were missing key players.

Geno certainly recruited Tuck, Stewie and Jefferson in the same class and passed over other kids in that class and the following year because he had Tuck. My point was, and remains, that we were missing a key player on our team. When you look at how magnificently Tuck played today, I think even you can agree UCONN could have used her last year, but they didn't need her.
Tuck was also the #1 kid in her class until she got hurt in her junior year, and then of course Stewie became the #1, and then by the time it came time to sign LOIs, Stewie was #1, Mo #2, and Tuck down to #6. Simply put: Tuck is one hell of a player which is why Geno recruited her, and we're starting to see just how good a fully healthy Tuck is.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I did not bring it up. I was merely replying to another post.

I was just referring to the loss-of Tuck vs. loss-of Achonwa comparison in particular, which you brought up, not Dawson.

"Not having Achonwa was similar to UCONN not having Tuck."

Not that there is anything wrong with it, at all. I think there are good points on whatever side of the comparison. My point was that Goodgood was 'calling out' someone else for bringing it up in the first place.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was just referring to the loss-of Tuck vs. loss-of Achonwa comparison in particular, which you brought up, not Dawson.

"Not having Achonwa was similar to UCONN not having Tuck."

Not that there is anything wrong with it, at all. I think there are good points on whatever side of the comparison. My point was that Goodgood was 'calling out' someone else for bringing it up in the first place.
I think I get what you were saying - Goodgood maybe did not catch my post which Dawson was replying to... But Dawson specifically said the following:

second time in a row that our girls play ND at less than full strength.
So yeah, I brought up Tuck because UCONN was at less than full strength as well. Meaning BOTH teams were at less than full strength for the NC game. So this is technically the first game where ND is at less than full strength.

If he had said "bummer for Achonwa going down 2 games before ND faced UCONN and now having Turner unavailable", I prolly would not have brought up Tuck...

Reaction Score
Was it just me or did Turner seem disiinterested. ?
I think this highlights why UConn is special. When UConn kids go down, you see them on the bench with a clipboard and keeping track of stats and/or writing things down. In other programs being out of the lineup means you're basically a spectator.

Reaction Score
Was it just me or did Turner seem disiinterested. ?
I didn't pick up on that at all. She seemed unhappy about ND getting killed by 20, but nothing to suggest that she didn't care.

Reaction Score
UGH! I hate that this may be the second time in a row that our girls play ND at less than full strength. This is getting real annoying. Hoping that Brianna is able to play at her best today. Either way, i'm feeling a win for the huskies.
Really???

I believe UCONN was without the brilliant Morgan Tuck last year, so if BOTH teams would have been at full strength, UCONN would have won by 30.

Reaction Score
I get tired of some bemoaning the fact that Turner didnt play.... would have made a difference to the tune of "x" number of points......

Injuries are part of the game..... and some choose to focus on what they do not have...... when Achonwa was out last year..... so was Tuck.... I am sure others mentioned this.... also, last year in finals.... I am sure KML wasnt 100%...... Dolson was not 100%......

It was interesting on Texas/Tennesseee, I saw several comments on Tenn side on Izzy being on the shelf, but not comments on Texas side on the loss of Stafford ....starting center... for the game....

The other thing I would say on Turner is , yes she will be great.... but if you want to focus on losing her 13 points a game...... please acknowledge that it was 13 points a game average against all cupcakes...... easy to pad the stats.... I think MD was the only serious yean they had played......

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think this highlights why UConn is special. When UConn kids go down, you see them on the bench with a clipboard and keeping track of stats and/or writing things down. In other programs being out of the lineup means you're basically a spectator.

What other programs ?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The other thing I would say on Turner is , yes she will be great.... but if you want to focus on losing her 13 points a game. please acknowledge that it was 13 points a game average against all cupcakes. easy to pad the stats.... I think MD was the only serious yean they had played.

Michigan State is not an amazing team but they are top 25 and it was actually a close game and she was the key player in turning the tide. She had 17 points, all in the 2nd half (Loyd was 3-13 in the 2nd half).

That game actually proved both sides of the point. She played poorly in the 1st half and got into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Hope she is doing better. Really annoyed me that the announcers kept referring to "Muffet's decision on whether to play her" as if the medical staff was not involved! We don't know the exact nature of the injury, but often the player is injured and simply can't play.
I know they had to talk about her and the injury, but it really was overkill with all the screen time and speculating. I really don't need to watch an injured player showing little emotion when the game is in progress. It also seemed like she got more mention than any ND player not named Loyd.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Watching a replay of the game, I noticed on at least 2 occasions that Turner was rubbing/ massaging her shoulder. Not a good sign.

I'm beginning to wonder if this injury is more serious than ND is letting on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom