Tunes you digging right now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tunes you digging right now

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
First new album from Del Amitri, an all-timer band for me, in 19 years! Due out May 28.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
As for covers, great take on a song that seems to morph between multiple recordings of it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, another You Tuber I stumbled onto. It appears she plays just about every instrument known to man. Didn't check all her videos, but heard her singing in Russian, English, Croatian and Polish. According to comments her pronunciation was nearly flawless in all of the languages.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm at the age where I have no idea how well known these guys are....but I just found them and have had them on repeat for a couple weeks.

Black Pumas

Damn, I miss good R&B/Soul. Excellent sound. Great voices.

And no, I wasn't familiar until now. I don't think.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here is a perfect example of a tune I got turned on to recently on The Bunny:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sirius is without question my greatest source of new music.
You kids and your paying for music streaming :confused:

I did add a Black Puma and a "New R&B" station to my free Pandora though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You kids and your paying for music streaming :confused:

I did add a Black Puma and a "New R&B" station to my free Pandora though.
No, it’s an old timer paying for real DJs to curate the music and talk about it, like I have enjoyed my whole life. I prefer the human interaction to having my music selected by corporate algorithms.

“When the product is free, you are the product.”

Reaction Score
No, it’s an old timer paying for real DJs to curate the music and talk about it, like I have enjoyed my whole life. I prefer the human interaction to having my music selected by corporate algorithms.

iPhone
iPad
MacBook Air
Apple CarPlay
Apple Watch
Apple TV
Apple Music

I don't know. I don't mind paying for the fact that I take a picture and it's everywhere I ever need it to be. All my music is available everywhere I would ever use it, organized the way I want it. I don't enter passwords or credit card info anywhere really. I literally spend 10 minutes a month paying bills. Can't do that on free Pandora and that's worth it to me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I had a 90-day trial when I bought my current car. I simply didn't care enough to subscribe.

As far as DJs, there was Vin Scelsa and Scott Muni, and then everyone else. Scott is dead, Vin retired. You can keep Meg Griffin.

And your quote fails in this case. I'm not providing useable data. I don't really care that ads show up. I grew up with that and am quite immune.

That $160/year is worth a couple bottles of good scotch for us hoi polloi. Besides, I pretty much only listen to "rock" when doing gardening/yardwork. In the house it's usually the classical station or jazz as background music.

You Apple fanboys are used to overpaying for everything :D

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had a 90-day trial when I bought my current car. I simply didn't care enough to subscribe.

As far as DJs, there was Vin Scelsa and Scott Muni, and then everyone else. Scott is dead, Vin retired. You can keep Meg Griffin.

And your quote fails in this case. I'm not providing useable data. I don't really care that ads show up. I grew up with that and am quite immune.

That $160/year is worth a couple bottles of good scotch for us hoi polloi. Besides, I pretty much only listen to "rock" when doing gardening/yardwork. In the house it's usually the classical station or jazz as background music.

You Apple fanboys are used to overpaying for everything :D
Scelsa was on Sirius and I listened religiously. Dylan’s show, too. Tom Petty was another amazing curator and student of music and I still listen to the reruns of his show.

There are dozens more but the point you’re missing is that I love radio and that’s what I’m paying for. Sirius is where all the best of radio has gone and it’s always been an important part of my life.

I love that you don’t think you’re the product. Not that you would or should care. I wouldn’t if I liked having a computer algorithm choose my music, but I don’t.

I don’t get the Apple comment but I see that you are in fedora mode again so I’ll just leave it at to each, their peach. I like radio.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is really not recent, but another I only recently discovered. The singer really let's it rip, she doesn't hold anything back.

What genre would people say this is? It's really quite a mix of sounds going on there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This blew me away. That they essentially created an orchestra entirely with guitars.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just reupped Sirius for $77 a year, still well below my drop point. Life's too short for commercials.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This isn't "new", but ever since seeing Gary Clark Jr. open for the Rolling Stones a couple of years ago, I have sort of rediscovered my love for blues driven rock. I've got BB King's Bluesville dialed in on my SiriusXM.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Scelsa was on Sirius and I listened religiously. Dylan’s show, too. Tom Petty was another amazing curator and student of music and I still listen to the reruns of his show.

There are dozens more but the point you’re missing is that I love radio and that’s what I’m paying for. Sirius is where all the best of radio has gone and it’s always been an important part of my life.

I love that you don’t think you’re the product. Not that you would or should care. I wouldn’t if I liked having a computer algorithm choose my music, but I don’t.

I don’t get the Apple comment but I see that you are in fedora mode again so I’ll just leave it at to each, their peach. I like radio.
OK, maybe not you on the Apple, that was more for Deepster.

I get the "I love radio" part. I just don't feel that way in 2021 as it's been so long since I've heard decent radio. If you can convince me that there's another "Idiot's Delight" out there, maybe I'd change my mind.

As far as Pandora's algorithm goes, I found it weirder and more eclectic than Spotify, even though the latter has a much larger library. My Lyle Lovett station is a trip. All sorts of weirdness there. I've got 15 or so stations, some based on specific songs.

I particularly enjoy my "Kelly's Heroes" (Black Grape) station (as an aside, I'll argue with anyone that "It's Great When Your Straight" was the best album of the 90s). I just put on whatever I'm in the mood for and I'm good for a couple hours, or if I'm feeling wild, there's always shuffle.

You'll find this amusing. While my channels represent a number of genres (none of them Van Morrison), pretty much all of them eventually land on one or more Van Morrison tunes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
OK, maybe not you on the Apple, that was more for Deepster.

I get the "I love radio" part. I just don't feel that way in 2021 as it's been so long since I've heard decent radio. If you can convince me that there's another "Idiot's Delight" out there, maybe I'd change my mind.

As far as Pandora's algorithm goes, I found it weirder and more eclectic than Spotify, even though the latter has a much larger library. My Lyle Lovett station is a trip. All sorts of weirdness there. I've got 15 or so stations, some based on specific songs.

I particularly enjoy my "Kelly's Heroes" (Black Grape) station (as an aside, I'll argue with anyone that "It's Great When Your Straight" was the best album of the 90s). I just put on whatever I'm in the mood for and I'm good for a couple hours, or if I'm feeling wild, there's always shuffle.

You'll find this amusing. While my channels represent a number of genres (none of them Van Morrison), pretty much all of them eventually land on one or more Van Morrison tunes.
David Johannson’s Mansion of Fun on the Loft is the closest thing to Vin’s show. Fishman’s Errant Path on Phish Radio is similar in range but Fishman is a bit more laconic than Scelsa and Johansson.

Forgot to mention that I also listen to Larry Kirwin’s Celtic Crush every week. Another great show.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
David Johannson’s Mansion of Fun on the Loft is the closest thing to Vin’s show. Fishman’s Errant Path on Phish Radio is similar in range but Fishman is a bit more laconic than Scelsa and Johansson.

Forgot to mention that I also listen to Larry Kirwin’s Celtic Crush every week. Another great show.
Kirwin might be the worst guitarist to ever front a hit band. But I love his storytelling. You just reminded me that I don't have a Black47 channel, although I do have Waterboys and Hothouse Flowers.

I don't think I could ever listen to a channel called "Phish radio". My scent memory would immediately bring up patchouli and I'd have to fumigate whatever room I was in ;-)

I can see Johannson being a decent racontuer but Vin is a large pair of shoes to fill. Scelsa was huge in my life. The minute I'd heard on MNF that Lennon was shot I went to Vin's show and spent the night listening to what I think to this day was the most amazing emotional radio ever. Vin introduced me to Carl Hiaasen from back when he did book reviews. I used to anxiously wait for the T-shirt and Razoo Kelly letters. And the song segues... nobody did segues like Vin, nor had the nads to play Hoagie Carmichael on FM "rock" radio. His show, along with Scott Muni's "Things From England" were the only two shows I ever considered "appointment radio".

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Kirwin might be the worst guitarist to ever front a hit band. But I love his storytelling. You just reminded me that I don't have a Black47 channel, although I do have Waterboys and Hothouse Flowers.

I don't think I could ever listen to a channel called "Phish radio". My scent memory would immediately bring up patchouli and I'd have to fumigate whatever room I was in ;-)

I can see Johannson being a decent racontuer but Vin is a large pair of shoes to fill. Scelsa was huge in my life. The minute I'd heard on MNF that Lennon was shot I went to Vin's show and spent the night listening to what I think to this day was the most amazing emotional radio ever. Vin introduced me to Carl Hiaasen from back when he did book reviews. I used to anxiously wait for the T-shirt and Razoo Kelly letters. And the song segues... nobody did segues like Vin, nor had the nads to play Hoagie Carmichael on FM "rock" radio. His show, along with Scott Muni's "Things From England" were the only two shows I ever considered "appointment radio".

In a rental car in Austin I found myself on Pfish radio. Left it on for a couple of days. Never really got into the band, but it was pretty good car music. No patchouli car air freshener was involved.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What genre would people say this is? It's really quite a mix of sounds going on there.
Good question. Hard rock is a fairly generic description it could fit under. Some of their songs I would almost venture to call Southern rock revival.

Wiki categorizes them as hard rock, punk blues and post-hardcore (some genre descriptions are just beyond me what they are actually supposed to be?).

What's your best guess?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Good question. Hard rock is a fairly generic description it could fit under. Some of their songs I would almost venture to call Southern rock revival.

Wiki categorizes them as hard rock, punk blues and post-hardcore (some genre descriptions are just beyond me what they are actually supposed to be?).

What's your best guess?

There were definite punk elements, and I guess hard rock fits, but it had some rock/rap type sounds along with the punk. Like a more punk version of Aerosmith. I didn’t get any southern rock from that song. Southern rock traditionally did not use the level of distortion these guys have with the guitars. But I just heard the one song.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn’t get any southern rock from that song.
Yeah, not the song I posted.

This one kinda sounds like it's a Black Crowes tune w/ a female vocalist.

I've liked pretty much all of their songs I've heard. "Mona Lisa" is pretty sweet, with an...interesting video. "Lemon Scent" is another good one.

Reaction Score
I’ve been listening to a lot of Royal Blood’s new album lately.

First heard them in 2016 when they were an opener for the Foo fighters at Fenway. Unique 2-piece where the singer (Mike Kerr) plays a bass & uses a number of different pedals/effects to split the signal to both a bass and guitar amp. The drummer (Ben Thatcher) is rock-solid & flashy when appropriate. They have monster sound and Kerr writes catchy, grooving, in-your-face riffs.

Their new album has a much different feel than their previous two...it has a decidedly English house music beat/Daft Punk-ish theme to it, with layers of classic rock, Black Keys, White Stripes, Killers, etc feels to it.

Here’s one off that album:

Their previous 2 albums are much more in-your-face classic/newer alt rock influenced overall. Here’s a couple of my favorites from those two. The video for “Figure it Out” is pretty great too!

Royal Blood - Figure It Out (Official Video)

Short powerful song with killer riffs live -
Royal Blood - Where Are You Now? - Glastonbury 2017

Hope you enjoy!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul