Tunes you digging right now | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tunes you digging right now

Reaction Score
It's an awesome song. Funny, I saw a New Orleans supergroup of sorts called Dragon Smoke at Stage One in Fairfield a few years ago and Ivan Neville, a pretty tough dude, covered it. He introduced it by saying something like "All you dudes out there, you know you sing this when it comes on the radio and you're driving in your car alone." And I absolutely do (but not afraid to sing it with others around either...).

Sometime in the past two years or so it dawned on me while singing it that what she's describing is actually an avalanche, or snow slide, but not a landslide. Since that time I have floated this theory twice when it came on around a fire with different groups of friends, and both times much comedy ensued as we tried to sing it with "avalanche" in place of "landslide" each time the refrain came around.
Are you kidding! When this song comes on you have to sing to it, it's just one of those songs. As for anyone in hearing distance? Oh well..... Like avalanche, too funny.

Yes @HuskyHawk we are all getting older too.

Reaction Score
I learned this week that the Mighty Mighty Bosstones are breaking up.

In my middle school years, they were a seminal band for me. I played saxophone in school, liked punk music and was teaching myself bass. At the time, the Bosstones were a perfect conglomerate for my musical development and their pop sensibilities helped me appreciate their music past my angsty punk middle school years.

"The Impression That I Get" was their one-hit wonder that got them international radio play but when I listen to it now in my mid-30s, I see it as a brilliant song. The narrator is a sheltered white man who's lived a life of relative ease and he's dealing with mixed feelings about whether or not he can handle real life pressures if/when faced with it. Just a genius narrative to explore in a pop song.

Not to derail the thread, but I googled the song and what I read was that Barrett wrote the song after attending a funeral. I don't know if it's about a "sheltered white man," but that's not the impression that I get.

Great tune nevertheless.

Reaction Score
This song came out in 1980 but I only found it about two years ago. Better late than never.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speaking of covers, don’t remember if I’ve posted any Scary Pockets covers here before, but here’s one that got me started down that rabbit hole:

Reaction Score
Just heard this for the first time in a while on Meg Griffin’s weekly “Disorder” show; always loved this cover and now I am thinking I’d love to hear Alison Krauss and Robert Plant cover her cover:

Yes, can absolutely hear them doing this song, tbo I never heard Dolly's version of Shine by Collective Soul, she does a nice job with it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just heard this for the first time in a while on Meg Griffin’s weekly “Disorder” show; always loved this cover and now I am thinking I’d love to hear Alison Krauss and Robert Plant cover her cover:

Very nice rendition. Had not heard this. Lyrics are a bit more gospel than I ever really noticed in the Collective Soul version. I think you could do all sorts of variations on this tune. Jazzy, metal, reggae.

Reaction Score
Dolly Parton's cover of Stairway to Heaven - as a bluegrass song - is really great.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seems like you can turn just about anything into bluegrass. You can also turn just about anything into metal.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
On that subject, here's a bluegrass version of a Poco song.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Alison Krauss has described bluegrass as acoustic heavy metal. I like that. Here's an entertaining mashup of the Soggy Bottom Boys from O Brother, Where Art Thou and Metallica.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I get a hankerin' for 80s hair metal now and then. Streaming one of Ratt's albums from Hoopla currently, including this song.

Reaction Score
I get a hankerin' for 80s hair metal now and then. Streaming one of Ratt's albums from Hoopla currently, including this song.

If you're going that genre, we should go with a tribute to Tawny. Although the videos needed more Tawny and less snake.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If you're going that genre, we should go with a tribute to Tawny. Although the videos needed more Tawny and less snake.
I'll see your Tawny, and raise you a Bobbie Brown. Although I'm not gonna post the Warrant video she's in, might not quite be considered in good taste. If you know, you know.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not that I'm listening to it right now, but yesterday I stopped into TJ's for a few things and when I walked in, this was playing:

I can't describe the joy. If my knees weren't acting up, I would've been dancing in the aisles.

Reaction Score

Chis Cornell full album. This album is acoustic live and really brings his incredible vocals to the fore front.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'we can't afford to be innocent,
stand up and face the enemy,
it's a do or die situation,
we will be invincible!'

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i like this tune. it has the spirit of liberty somewhere in its' mess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom