Tunes you digging right now | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tunes you digging right now

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Thanks for posting that. Wasn't aware they'd released anything this year. Underappreciated band going back to the Kurt Vile days.

I've been on a Heartless Bastards kick recently as a couple of their songs popped up on Pandora channels of mine and caught my ear as their lead singer had a unique voice. So I've been exploring their back catalog and Erika Wennerstrom's solo work.

From their latest:

Reaction Score
Following the Black Pumas wormhole.....

Black Pumas got 8893 to recommend Durand Jones and the Implications. That recommendation got me to stumble onto this song and the album download.

Anderson .Paak - Come Down

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Following the Black Pumas wormhole.....

Black Pumas got 8893 to recommend Durand Jones and the Implications. That recommendation got me to stumble onto this song and the album download.

Anderson .Paak - Come Down
Love Malibu. My favorite of his. Great album; I think “The Dreamer“ is my favorite track. I have Ventura too, which is also very good. I had high hopes for his recent collaboration with Bruno Mars but I don’t love what I’ve heard as much as I hoped I would.

Reaction Score
Golden Smog (featuring Dave Pirner and Jeff Tweedy in this 1995 incarnation) do a nice job with this Faces cover:

reminded me of this Golden Smog classic:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
gotta throw out one for Jay
I might be in the minority but I very much prefer Son Volt to Wilco, and like Jay's Uncle Tupelo songs more than Jeff's.

Golden Smog is much more than just another vehicle for Jeff. Members from various other bands, including 2 from The Jayhawks.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anybody ever heard of Turnpike Troubadours? Several of their songs started popping up on one of my Pandora stations, I like what I've heard. Not from the mid 90s alt.country scene, but seems similar enough to include here.

Reaction Score
Anybody ever heard of Turnpike Troubadours? Several of their songs started popping up on one of my Pandora stations, I like what I've heard. Not from the mid 90s alt.country scene, but seems similar enough to include here.

no but over the last few years have gotten real into Tyler Childers (seen him about 3-4 times), Sturgill Simpson, Colter Wall, Vincent Neil Emerson, among others.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I might be in the minority but I very much prefer Son Volt to Wilco, and like Jay's Uncle Tupelo songs more than Jeff's.
I loved Uncle Tupelo and really liked Son Volt's first two releases; I actually made a cassette with Trace on one side and A.M. on the other so I could kind of feel like Uncle Tupelo still lived a bit. After Okemah and the Melody of Riot I really lost interest because it all started to sound the same to me, and especially the same mood.

I saw Son Volt live and it was good musically but likewise somewhat all the same sound and kind of subdued. I've seen Wilco live more times than I can count at this point and they are a freaking blast, and all over the place musically--in a good way, at least for my tastes.

I only saw Uncle Tupelo live once, but they seemed a lot more like early Wilco to me than the more somber mode of Son Volt.

Reaction Score
One more from the golden era of alt.country.

yeah whiskeytown and like Ryan Adams from like Heartbreaker up until the end of the Cardinals is amazing. Still puts out some solid stuff but not really into his 80s sound he's been trying to put out the last handful of albums.

Reaction Score
I loved Uncle Tupelo and really liked Son Volt's first two releases; I actually made a cassette with Trace on one side and A.M. on the other so I could kind of feel like Uncle Tupelo still lived a bit. After Okemah and the Melody of Riot I really lost interest because it all started to sound the same to me, and especially the same mood.

I saw Son Volt live and it was good musically but likewise somewhat all the same sound and kind of subdued. I've seen Wilco live more times than I can count at this point and they are a freaking blast, and all over the place musically--in a good way, at least for my tastes.

I only saw Uncle Tupelo live once, but they seemed a lot more like early Wilco to me than the more somber mode of Son Volt.

seeing Nels Cline wail on "impossible Germany" is always a good time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
no but over the last few years have gotten real into Tyler Childers (seen him about 3-4 times), Sturgill Simpson, Colter Wall, Vincent Neil Emerson, among others.
I've seen those names, but haven't checked them out yet.

Pandora has introduced me to some fairly obscure stuff. Some other very much non-Nashville country I've found there includes Andy's Automatics, Two Dollar Pistols and Gas Money (not to be confused w/ Ga$ Money).

Also, definitely not obscure because of his lineage, I like some of Hank Williams III stuff. Was never really a fan of his dad. When he wants to, he sounds eerily like his famous grandpa.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I definitely recognize Wilco has continued to experiment and try different things, while Son Volt has pretty much stayed in the same lane. I haven't kept up to date w/ new releases from any of those bands from that era. Son Volt's A Retrospective: 1995-2000 is a pretty darn good place to start for them.

I saw Ryan Adams live once, not with any of his bands, many years ago. It was a singer/songwriter showcase. I was mostly there to see Kim Richey, I honestly can't even remember who the third artist was. They took turns doing their own songs, while the other 2 accompanied them. I was not overly impressed w/ Adams. He seemed to be extremely drunk or extremely high or both, he was barely functional. Somehow he managed to play guitar and sing, but he could hardly talk. Spent most of his time trying to relight his cigarette (gives you some idea how long ago it was, back when people smoked in bars)

On the subject of concerts, I saw the Old 97's touring for the 15 year anniversary of Too Far To Care. They did every song from the album, did a short intermission, then came back and played a bunch of their other songs. Those guys kicked butt, great show, very energetic.

Reaction Score
I definitely recognize Wilco has continued to experiment and try different things, while Son Volt has pretty much stayed in the same lane. I haven't kept up to date w/ new releases from any of those bands from that era. Son Volt's A Retrospective: 1995-2000 is a pretty darn good place to start for them.

I saw Ryan Adams live once, not with any of his bands, many years ago. It was a singer/songwriter showcase. I was mostly there to see Kim Richey, I honestly can't even remember who the third artist was. They took turns doing their own songs, while the other 2 accompanied them. I was not overly impressed w/ Adams. He seemed to be extremely drunk or extremely high or both, he was barely functional. Somehow he managed to play guitar and sing, but he could hardly talk. Spent most of his time trying to relight his cigarette (gives you some idea how long ago it was, back when people smoked in bars)

On the subject of concerts, I saw the Old 97's touring for the 15 year anniversary of Too Far To Care. They did every song from the album, did a short intermission, then came back and played a bunch of their other songs. Those guys kicked butt, great show, very energetic.

yeah that sounds about right for early days with Ryan Adams.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Golden Smog is much more than just another vehicle for Jeff. Members from various other bands, including 2 from The Jayhawks.
Can't say I've listened to a ton of Son Volt after the first album, which I bought with high expectations and found it a snoozefest on the level of Kid A. If I drive on the highway with either of those playing, I'm 10 minutes from nodding off and being plastered all over a bridge abutment.

Funny thing about Down By the Old Mainstream - the two songs critics hated, "Pecan Pie" and "Red Headed Stepchild" are my faves from that disc.

Oddly, while I'm a huge Kinks fan and have a lot of Jayhawks stuff, I still haven't listened to either of the two Ray Davies solo albums with the Jayhawks as his backing band.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom