Tulsa observations | The Boneyard

Tulsa observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It feels good to watch them play like Huskies!
  1. That Boat was incredible should go without saying. There was a point that he seemed to really get annoyed with the officiating. He made his displeasure known for no-calls on three jumpers. On two of them, there was obvious contact during the act. On the other, I didn't see contact during the shot, but there was a bump and a little bit of a hold before the shot. Just seems impossible for him to make 14 shot attempts and handle the ball in every pressure situation, and only get fouled twice. He's a senior and a star. He should be getting way more respect from the stripes than he does.
  2. Until Rodney got hot a bit later, the 2nd half was the co-captains' show. Boat and Brimah were playing at a different level than everyone else in the building there for 8 or 10 minutes. That stretch was the most fun to watch of any UConn basketball this season.
  3. Seems to me that this is like the 3rd game where Rodney has shot poorly int he 1st half, then gotten deadly accurate in the 2nd half. Don't know what to make of that.
  4. Facey seemed to get involved and busy for about three possessions, but other than that, seemed passive and didn't make the best use of his minutes. He does still lead the team in 3 point percentage for the season, at 100%, and is currently at 75% from 3 for his career!
  5. Omar missed all his 3 point attempts and other than one very good drive that resulted in his only made bucket of the game, looked tentative -- even more so after the first couple misses. He needs a good outing next game to bolster his confidence.
  6. I don't care who we're playing, I'll take a 39 to 30 rebounding edge any day of the week. DHam has a nose for the ball on the defensive boards -- especially when they are shooting over AB.
  7. Dimes. 15 on 26 FGs is not bad, when you consider that the biggest single chunk of our assists usually come from Boat who had something special going on tonight -- especially in the 2nd half -- with creating his own shot fairly late in the shot clock.
  8. Also on the subject of assists, 15 to 7 turnovers! A better than 2 to 1 ratio for the entire team? That's sick. I guess it helps a lot when your alpha dog puts up an 8 to 1 ratio for the game.
  9. Amida was credited with 7 blocks, and I believe we got possession on 6 of them. On one of those, we turned it over at half court and wasted the possession, but still, 6 blocks that give us possession is a great way to celebrate Bill Russell's birthday today!
  10. TSam played at a higher level than even last year in the tourney. He's going to be a factor from here on out.
  11. Hate to say this, but I think we're better without Sam2. He really only brings one thing to the table, and has been unspectacular at best at that one thing, just about since the games started counting. The Stanford game was the only game since Yale that he shot well.
  12. The announcing team was a pleasant change from the crap we've been dealt with Patrick, Gillen, Knight et al.
  13. SMU's victory over Houston tonight, combined with Tulsa's loss to us, means we will play the 1st place team in the conference in two consecutive games.

Reaction Score
  1. Dimes. 15 on 26 FGs is not bad, when you consider that the biggest single chunk of our assists usually come from Boat who had something special going on tonight -- especially in the 2nd half -- with creating his own shot fairly late in the shot clock.
  2. Hate to say this, but I think we're better without Sam2. He really only brings one thing to the table, and has been unspectacular at best at that one thing, just about since the games started counting. The Stanford game was the only game since Yale that he shot well.
Re: assists, the nice thing to see is that they're not all penetrate, draw and dish assists. There's a lot of off-the-ball action - smarter, harder cuts - that's letting Boat & TSam get the ball to other shooters and attackers in a rhythm. This is the difference between a pro style offense (which KO runs) and a typical college offense that just puts the ball into the hands of the most talented player.

Re: Sam2, let's all remember that he was hurt basically all season. I don't expect great things, but it's unfair to judge him at this point.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
  1. The announcing team was a pleasant change from the crap we've been dealt with Patrick, Gillen, Knight et al.
The announcing team was much better than the usual; I kept the sound on the entire game, for most games I mute the announcers. I like Len Elmore, he knows the game and does not try to go all Dukeie V, like many announcers do, by yelling and overstating everything.

Reaction Score
I'm most happy with how we kept the heat on the full 40. It had been over 20-23 then Tulsa cut it to 14 and I was like ugh gonna win by like 6 but Rodney hit some 3s and we stepped on their throats.

Reaction Score
UConn is 9-1 when Purvis has double digit points. 9-0 when he takes four or more 3 pointers, he is 20-47 which is 43% in these games.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Also undefeated when leading at the half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom