Tulane | The Boneyard

Tulane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After a well needed break for team and fanbase this is where Diaco and staff should start making adjustments. With the schedule having us play 5 games in 30 days this hampered the staff and our young team. The 14 days from Temple to Tulane will show if our staff and team have finally figured it out. I think we are going to have one of those "wtf" wins. The program turns the corner and we win big 27-10.

Reaction Score
As bad as we are, beating Tulane is not a wtf win. Tulane is also a very bad football team.

Reaction Score
This is how bad it's gotten. People are suggesting beating Tulane is a WTF win.

They might be worse than we are.

Reaction Score
The one positive I see this week is we are coming off a bye week, playing a bad football team and then another bye week until ECU

Use this bye week to adjust to what they've seen so far, implement it in the Tulane game......see what works and then adjust for ECU on second bye week

(raises glass) Here's to hoping....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They managed to lose to Tulsa.

Tulsa is so bad it makes my head hurt. And they still might be better than SMU and UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is a bye a big advantage when the other team had one as well?

Reaction Score
After a well needed break for team and fanbase this is where Diaco and staff should start making adjustments. With the schedule having us play 5 games in 30 days this hampered the staff and our young team. The 14 days from Temple to Tulane will show if our staff and team have finally figured it out. I think we are going to have one of those "wtf" wins. The program turns the corner and we win big 27-10.

I'm just looking for improvement. Learn from waht's happened and improve. It's pretty clear that the problems of the past several years, going back to Edsall's last recruiting classes, aren't going to be solved quickly. Just take these young players and make them better. Our defense, is by all yardage rushing and passing stats through 5 games ranked a top 30 already. They just got to get better at fundamentals and will continue to improve. Leverage and tackling.

But we are Fiesta Bowl +4 seasons and still have no balanced offensive production worthwhile to speak of. We have some skill level that I don't believe we had prior in the backfields and split wide, but the OL is a developmental project playing real games. Our backfield, is a very young, and inexperienced in pass protect. Our TE's are all in the same boat, both run blocking and pass protect. We don't have offensive production at all to speak of. What to look for? What I'm looking for on O? Get in position, and hit somebody on offense. No free runs for defenders through the offensive formation, unless it's supposed to be that last guy the runner needs to make miss. No free runs through the formation by pass rushers. Pass protect or run block - just be in position, and hit somebody. Red zone offense - score points. Need points, when we get there. The kicking game - practice - time your run with the kick. We've got a dynamic returner in Newsome. Foxx got to catch the punts. We can't lose the hidden yardage, when we are unable to move the ball far enough to score regularly. Huge difference there in the USF game - we catch the punts, things might have been different in that game.

DIscipline, turnovers, penalties.

I just want to see improvement. It did go south quick in September - 5 games in 29 days with a very young team. They were much more disciplined and fundamentally sound against BYU than they were against Temple - but they had just come out of camp. We'll see what they're like after 2 weeks of practice on Sat night.

Reaction Score
They managed to lose to Tulsa.

Tulsa is so bad it makes my head hurt. And they still might be better than SMU and UConn.
SMU looked respectable against ECU. They discovered a quarterback in Justin Willis. Lost 38-21. Thought it was going to be worse than that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
SMU looked respectable against ECU. They discovered a quarterback in Justin Willis. Lost 38-21. Thought it was going to be worse than that.

Yeah I watched almost the whole game. They will be back to getting throttled now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tulsa is a 17 pt dog to Temple. Yikes.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Could have a Montana sighting - Nick!

The starter has a BRUISED SHOULDER -

It's unclear who will be taking snaps for Tulane on Saturday. Starting quarterback Tanner Lee bruised his shoulder and has been out of practice. Coach Curtis Johnson said Monday that Lee's status is uncertain, depending on how he practices this week.

Senior reserve Nick Montana — son of Joe — has been taking first-team snaps in practice. Sophomore Devin Powell is the other reserve quarterback.

http://touch.courant.com/#section/2262/article/p2p-81603311/

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
This is how bad it's gotten. People are suggesting beating Tulane is a WTF win. They might be worse than we are.

I'll believe it when I see it. I can't imagine them being worse, maybe similar. My confidence is just shot. I really need a shot in the arm this weekend.

Reaction Score
I just don't remember seeing an offense that is as inept as ours since, oh maybe our first season in the transition to 1A. And we might be worse than that one. It shocks me just how awful we can look. Adn it shocks me just how far we have fallen. Even if some of the Edsall teams were struggling, you always knew they were tough, hard nosed. This team has no offensive identity to speak of. Despite having some skill players outside, we don't have anyone who can get them the football. We have some running backs who might eventually be very good, but right now they have a lot to learn. Unbelievably, DeLorenzo is the best of the bunch in the sense that he can actually read blocks, and get through holes that are there. He isn't the fastest guy on the planet, but he actually gets yardage even when there isn't a huge hole. He knows how to run. He is probably the weakest of the 4 backs but at least he can get yardage when there isn't a lot of room. And I am becoming more and more convinced that Edsall made one of those deals with the devil when he landed Orlovsky...I'll take a star quarterback now and UConn will never ever get even an adequate one in the future...In 4 years since the Fiesta, we've had exactly 3 games of above average quarterback play. It is almost impossible the imagine we're so bad at the position, and have been for 4 years. Tulane is at home, and I think they will beat us, pretty soundly too. 27-10, 24-7, something along those lines. I can't see this offense scoring more than a touchdown, maybe get into position for a figgie somewhere along the way. Maybe if we don't give up a fumble or a pick 6 it is a little closer, but that is something we have yet to figure out how to stop.

Reaction Score
This is how bad it's gotten. People are suggesting beating Tulane is a WTF win.

They might be worse than we are.
It could be worse....Tulane left because it WAS going to deemphasize sports and become a 1-AA school; be like the "Harvard" of the south.

Reaction Score
Very winnable game. Hopefully with the bye week the coaches make some adjustments this week on offense. Some short drops to get the ball out early, get the ball to Davis and have him on the field so Tulane always has to worry about him, get Newsome and Foxx the ball in space and involve the tight ends in the passing game. Keep Whitmer on short leash as if he turns it over early usually there is more to follow. Play to win the game as opposed to playing not to lose and we should be able to pull it out as our defense will keep us in the game.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Here's what scares me about this game... UConn has only put up a total of 53 points this year (against a little stiffer competition in BYU and Boise State, granted) but Tulane, who has played the likes of Georgia Tech (5-0), Duke (4-1), Rutgers (4-1) has put up a total of 96 points. Including 35 against FCS Southeastern Lousiana.

I know their QB is hurt and its looking like he won't play tomorrow night, but the offense is what worries me a little in this matchup considering how horrible our lack of offense has been this season.

Here's to hoping we see an improved O-Line, play calling by Mike Cummings (or Patterson, or whoever Bobby Diaco has calling the Offensive plays these days?), and Tim Boyle (and NOT Chandler Whitmer) playing tomorrow and for the rest of the year. I called into Kevin Nathan on Sports Talk on Wendsday night and he agreed with me that we've seen all we're going to see out of Whitmer for his career at UConn. Its time for a change that we can at least build on for the future.

At the end of the day tomorrrow... We need this 'W'. We need it badly. To reinstall at least a glimmer of faith/hope in the team, and our fanbase for the future of this program led by Coach Diaco.

Reaction Score
I just don't remember seeing an offense that is as inept as ours since, oh maybe our first season in the transition to 1A. And we might be worse than that one. It shocks me just how awful we can look. Adn it shocks me just how far we have fallen. Even if some of the Edsall teams were struggling, you always knew they were tough, hard nosed. This team has no offensive identity to speak of. Despite having some skill players outside, we don't have anyone who can get them the football. We have some running backs who might eventually be very good, but right now they have a lot to learn. Unbelievably, DeLorenzo is the best of the bunch in the sense that he can actually re s, and get through holes that are there. He isn't the fastest guy on the planet, but he actually gets yardage even when there isn't a huge hole. He knows how to run. He is probably the weakest of the 4 backs but at least he can get yardage when there isn't a lot of room. And I am becoming more and more convinced that Edsall made one of those deals with the devil when he landed Orlovsky...I'll take a star quarterback now and UConn will never ever get even an adequate one in the future...In 4 years since the Fiesta, we've had exactly 3 games of above average quarterback play. It is almost impossible the imagine we're so bad at the position, and have been for 4 years. Tulane is at home, and I think they will beat us, pretty soundly too. 27-10, 24-7, something along those lines. I can't see this offense scoring more than a touchdown, maybe get into position for a figgie somewhere along the way. Maybe if we don't give up a fumble or a pick 6 it is a little closer, but that is something we have yet to figure out how to stop.
I hate to agree with you, but I think that you are right. I think UConn's confidence is so bad, that once Tulane gets a lead, especially if it is by an offensive blunder as we have seen consistently this year, then the defense will give up, as we also have seen this year, allowing them to run up the score to make it look like a much bigger win that it will be.

Reaction Score
I hate to agree with you, but I think that you are right. I think UConn's confidence is so bad, that once Tulane gets a lead, especially if it is by an offensive blunder as we have seen consistently this year, then the defense will give up, as we also have seen this year, allowing them to run up the score to make it look like a much bigger win that it will be.

What games did the defense give up in?

Reaction Score
The defense will not give up. Against Temple the sub safety was not up to the job giving them 2 easy scores but the D has been more than respectable so far.

Reaction Score
What games did the defense give up in?

I have never seen this defense give up. And that is a pretty serious accusation by the poster. I have seen them wear down due to the constant 3 and outs/turnovers, horrible field position by the offense, but I have seen maximum effort on D. The linebackers are a work in progress, but other than that, the D has been the lone bright spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom