Tulane Player's Pregame Vid | The Boneyard

Tulane Player's Pregame Vid

Reaction Score
Well, where are the Tulane players? And who are they playing? :confused:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Egad! How the heck did I put Tulane in the title! Please, Ops, remove the gaff!

Reaction Score
Temple you have no chance my slump is over and we're kicking your butts

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Her demeanor appears to be that she is complying with the program's policy of talking to the media, and answering the questions asked, however she does not appear to be enjoying it. The fact that she could not stay "still" suggested a bit of nervousness. Her answers boarded on being cliche-ish in nature. People (players) interview differently. Some look at the interviewer directly in the eye, and are really engaged in the interview, while others look everywhere else but at the interviewer.

We must also remember that UConn players are subjected to an endless number of media interviews during the season. This one appeared to be in their practice facility. We must also remember that sometimes, players really don't feel like, or want to do an interview at a given time. Some of the questions they are asked are not really good questions (questions that have an obvious answer, that are asked just for the sake of asking it), or are redundant in nature. So for me, it's hard to tell what Lou is really thinking here. KML was always a good interview. She would always smile and look directly at the camera at the conclusion of the interview.

Reaction Score
I have no experience as a coach and my participation in sports is limited, but as a 50 something year old who has to be a student of the human condition to get the best out of people who work with and for me, my perception as to what is going on with the team is as follows:

At the beginning of the season expectations were low (for this program) and they were playing free and loose with a chip on their shoulders. It took a little while to get fully up to speed, but once everyone figured out their roles and played within themselves the level of play was very high producing the expected results.

Mid season they were on the high of getting through the meat grinder of the out of conference schedule and the "quest for 100" wasn't really a thing yet. The team, for the most part, continued to execute at a high level.

Now that they are into the latter third of the season, the grind is setting in and the pressure of the streak and the possibility of an undefeated season has become real. People are making predictions of a win streak extending well past the current number of victories. Expectations have increased (perhaps unrealistically) and the kids are feeling the pressure. The loss of Kia (one of their rocks and most experience players) has added to the stress level. The lack of depth and the need to "be on" all the time is taking its toll. No longer are they playing in the relaxed, carefree manner that they showed (in my opinion) in the first two thirds of the season.

To me, the team has looked tight and possibly mentally fatigued for the past few games. The offensive efficiency just has not been at the level it was earlier in the season. This is a young team, and they have to learn to deal with the expectations and pressure to continue to be successful. None of this should really surprise anyone as these guys aren't robots. There are also general life conditions like illness and dealing with classes that can be a part of what I am seeing as well.

I hope they have figured "it" out and have made the mental adjustments to play like they are capable of. I am sure the coaching staff has made the adjustments to the offensive and defensive schemes to give the team the tools they need to succeed with the resources at hand, but they have to be in the right place mentally to execute the game plan. I would love to see them play at peak efficiency and have a great game tonight, but I would not be surprised if this game is as much of a struggle as the Tulane game, and may be even more so. In all honesty, this team may need a loss to release the pressure and reset for the NCAA tournament. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed these things.

Now it is quite possible that I am completely all wet on this since I have no idea what is going on in practices and have no "inside information" on the team whatsoever, but this is what I see as I have watched them play over the past three of four games.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not everyone can be as polished and unflappable when dealing with dumb or semi-hostile questions as Kia Nurse, who could probably qualify to be Presidential press secretary the day she graduates from UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom