Tulane Hires Mike Dunleavy Sr. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tulane Hires Mike Dunleavy Sr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His last act in the NBA was winning an arbitration against the Clippers where they wrote him a check for $13M, so he's probably alright.
At $13 Million I'll bet he got less than Sterling's girlfriend V.Stiviano

Reaction Score
At $13 Million I'll bet he got less than Sterling's girlfriend V.Stiviano

Anyone who's been in LA knows everyone sued Donald Sterling. Elgin Baylor did. He pulled lots of sleazy exits on contracts ... acted like a USFL owner in the snooty owners group of the NBA. That's why he fell so quick. No fellow owner would ever support that schmuck.

Reaction Score
Anyone who's been in LA knows everyone sued Donald Sterling. Elgin Baylor did. He pulled lots of sleazy exits on contracts ... acted like a USFL owner in the snooty owners group of the NBA. That's why he fell so quick. No fellow owner would ever support that schmuck.

That was pretty evident at how quick he was forced to sell his team.

Reaction Score
This is pretty simple.

You can't say this about Dunleavy a priori. Like Sampson & Larry Brown (both successes) ... You'll know all by about September.

In both Houston & SMU, they lined up outstanding assistants & grabbed 3-5 kids that have had 2-3 year impacts. Despite Dunleavy not having college bonafides, he could have just the juice needed like these two. Nope ... Bob Hill didn't. Couldn't. Wasn't. Not the guy you'd give to greater NYC. Nor Eddie Jordan. Let's see in 5 months.
Larry Brown is a legendary coach who won titles at both the NBA and college level. Sampson was at the minimum a very good college coach who after his exile from the college game became a lead assistant in the NBA and was actually getting talked up as a potential NBA coach down the line before he took the Houston job. Dunleavy was a retread NBA coach with a sub .500 career record, Hill actually has a better record than him but really there is no big difference, they are both generic coaches that carry no weight. Dunleavy probably has a better mouthpiece on him since I can't imagine him being any duller than Hill based on my interactions with him while I worked in the Fordham athletic dept, but at the end of the day I don't see this hire doing much for Tulane. If he achieves moderate success I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong, just don't really understand where your viewpoint of him comes from. The only thing remarkable about him that I remember about him during his stints in the NBA were the oversized Di()k Tracy villain suits he wore in the sidelines.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is pretty simple.

You can't say this about Dunleavy a priori. Like Sampson & Larry Brown (both successes) ... You'll know all by about September.

In both Houston & SMU, they lined up outstanding assistants & grabbed 3-5 kids that have had 2-3 year impacts. Despite Dunleavy not having college bonafides, he could have just the juice needed like these two. Nope ... Bob Hill didn't. Couldn't. Wasn't. Not the guy you'd give to greater NYC. Nor Eddie Jordan. Let's see in 5 months.

Dunleavy, because of his pro experience will have a HUGE international pipeline
This will bring guys in that get little attention from US colleges
Unlike Larry Brown who coached NBA when international players were not looked at - I envision MD to do a lot here
What 7 foot Chech wouldn't want to play in Florida?

Reaction Score
Dunleavy, because of his pro experience will have a HUGE international pipeline
This will bring guys in that get little attention from US colleges
Unlike Larry Brown who coached NBA when international players were not looked at - I envision MD to do a lot here
What 7 foot Chech wouldn't want to play in Florida?

Are you a real person or is this some kind of bot?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
SMU hired Brown because he's one of the best basketball coaches ever. Are you seriously trying to compare Mike Dunleavy to Larry Brown in terms of basketball acumen?

Please show me where Brown is one of the best ever - don't give me the HoF crap - he was given that due to longevity
I gave a comparative of both their NBA results - what else do you have?
Danny Manning gave him a NCAA title as Melo gave to the Picker - neither HoF worthy
With the BB HoF its more who you know vs what you did in some cases
And when you say one of the best ever - how many people are you including in this best ever category - Christ I can see at least 3 current NBA and at least 6 current CBB coaches with much better records/results plus dozens retired - you must have a huge best ever catagory

Reaction Score
Please show me where Brown is one of the best ever - don't give me the HoF crap - he was given that due to longevity
I gave a comparative of both their NBA results - what else do you have?
Danny Manning gave him a NCAA title as Melo gave to the Picker - neither HoF worthy
With the BB HoF its more who you know vs what you did in some cases
And when you say one of the best ever - how many people are you including in this best ever category - Christ I can see at least 3 current NBA and at least 6 current CBB coaches with much better records/results plus dozens retired - you must have a huge best ever catagory

Amazing.

Reaction Score
Dunleavy rehabilitated the Clippers. That's the claim in the NOLA article - and I actually believe that's true. Clippers were amongst the WORST pro franchises ever. 2 playoffs in the last 30. He has claim to why they got to a respectable level.

And? Also in that article ... Dunleavy says he has the network domestic & international. As I said above: you'll know a lot by September. Both Houston & SMU were big changes in the first half year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom