Tulane Game | The Boneyard

Tulane Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wife and I just got tickets to Feb. 7th game. $55 each, looks like they are pricing for big demand (season tickets best seats are $300), not many Uconn game tickets left according to Tulane. Have been to gym and is small. Should be big time college basketball event for here. 20th game of UConn's season so should be seeing players/roles rounding into what can expect to see for the post season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Wife and I just got tickets to Feb. 7th game. $55 each, looks like they are pricing for big demand (season tickets best seats are $300), not many Uconn game tickets left according to Tulane. Have been to gym and is small. Should be big time college basketball event for here. 20th game of UConn's season so should be seeing players/roles rounding into what can expect to see for the post season.
We see a continuation of things. UConn really helped pull the load in the BE and now doing so in the AAC. Hopefully some day UConn will be doing the same in the B!G.

Reaction Score
I am trying to go as well. Love NOLA. Best part about them being in the AAC is being able to go to games there. Killer city.

Reaction Score
Scot-e said:
Love NOLA. Best part about them being in the AAC is being able to go to games there. Killer city.
As for the latter comment, surely no pun intended.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of going. Let's coordinate a meetup spot for UConn fans prior to the game. Is there a NOLA resident who can take the lead on this?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm thinking of going. Let's coordinate a meetup spot for UConn fans prior to the game. Is there a NOLA resident who can take the lead on this?
I'm not a local but I've been going there at least once a year for the past 20 years (was just there again a couple weeks ago). Tulane is Uptown, so your best bet will be the Oak Street area, around a mile away. The Maple Leaf Bar there smells like a monkey house (especially the men's room) but it's an outstanding live music venue/dive bar with decent taps and a neighborhood in which you can find plenty of food options ranging from cheap to expensive and everything in between. Jacques-Imo's right next door is pretty popular and consistent in terms of contemporary creole cuisine; Squeal BBQ is decent too; and Brigtsen's a few blocks away is probably my favorite nice restaurant in the city. There are plenty of other options in the area too.

If you are drinking in the Quarter beforehand instead, I recommend the Chart Room, on the corner of Chartres and Bienvielle. Great dive bar, central location, open air and you can bring in whatever food you want.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not a local but I've been going there at least once a year for the past 20 years (was just there again a couple weeks ago). Tulane is Uptown, so your best bet will be the Oak Street area, around a mile away. The Maple Leaf Bar there smells like a monkey house (especially the men's room) but it's an outstanding live music venue/dive bar with decent taps and a neighborhood in which you can find plenty of food options ranging from cheap to expensive and everything in between. Jacques-Imo's right next door is pretty popular and consistent in terms of contemporary creole cuisine; Squeal BBQ is decent too; and Brigtsen's a few blocks away is probably my favorite nice restaurant in the city. There are plenty of other options in the area too.

If you are drinking in the Quarter beforehand instead, I recommend the Chart Room, on the corner of Chartres and Bienvielle. Great dive bar, central location, open air and you can bring in whatever food you want.
You really need to write a book about restaurants in the world.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
More so pre-Katrina I'd say
Unfortunately, while many things have improved, that has not. It is still a very dangerous city and neighborhoods transition very quickly from less dangerous to more dangerous, often within the same block. I would advise against ever walking alone at night.

Reaction Score
French Quarter is all good but do yourself a favor and enjoy some of the spots uptown by Tulane as well. I feel like tourists often neglect uptown and it is, in my opinion, more fun and obviously cheaper. This is true especially if you are on the younger side. The college/dive/late night bars Uptown are great.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, while many things have improved, that has not. It is still a very dangerous city and neighborhoods transition very quickly from less dangerous to more dangerous, often within the same block. I would advise against ever walking alone at night.

And second what 8893 says here. I lived and went to college there for 4 years and walking around without someone who knows the area can be very dangerous as good and bad neighborhoods are mixed together and often change from one to the other without much notice.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

Well yes, it's a major city, of course there are some shady spots (to say the least) but I was more referring to the stretch NO had as the " murder capital" in the U.S. b4 Katrina. It's still a dangerous city, no doubt, but not to the extent it use to be. I use to go to NO atleast 3x a month back before Katrina (was actually in Biloxi, the day of the storm.......left that morning, Katrina hit about 7 that night.)
Anyways, one of my best friends, from CT actually, was a cop in New Orleans. He took me on a ride along.... True story....... but broad daylight, and we rolled thru the 9th Ward, homeboy was walking down the street, no shirt, but had an AK slung across his chest with the biggest banana clip I've ever seen. I was like "you gonna do something?" He chuckled and said , there's more of them, than us, you gotta fight the battles you can win. Crazy stuff.

Not sure what the current layout looks like, but back in the day, I'd stay out of the 3rd (I think Caliope-CP3 closed down tho), 4th, & 8th wards as well. Having said all that, some of the best times in my life happened in N'orleans, and you really have no reason to venture into shady parts as a visitor anyways.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well yes, it's a major city, of course there are some shady spots (to say the least) but I was more referring to the stretch NO had as the " murder capital" in the U.S. b4 Katrina. It's still a dangerous city, no doubt, but not to the extent it use to be....and you really have no reason to venture into shady parts as a visitor anyways.

No, the murder rate has not improved since Katrina; it has actually gotten worse.

Yes, you have to use common sense in any major city. But I think it is harder to distinguish the shady from the not-too-shady parts in New Orleans than it is in any other city I've ever frequented. Take Bourbon St. (which I avoid entirely) for example: one block is loaded with people, but the next block may be desolate. I've lost count of the number of incidents I've heard from friends and acquaintances walking in between the Quarter and Frenchmen, as both the FQ and Marigny have some very shady and desolate spots--and those are without question the most touristy parts of the city. In fact, I think they are both too overrun and crowded now for the most part, and I have started to focus instead on clubs in the up-and-coming St. Claude area, but that is still very sketchy for stretches and never, ever to be walked at night imo.

Don't get me wrong: It is one of my favorite places on the planet and, imo, the most unique and interesting city in the United States. Live music is my greatest passion and there is more of what I am after there than anywhere else, period. I just think people need to be aware that it not safer than it was, and that it is most likely much different--and more dangerous--than most places with which they are familiar.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
No, the murder rate has not improved since Katrina; it has actually gotten worse.

Yes, you have to use common sense in any major city. But I think it is harder to distinguish the shady from the not-too-shady parts in New Orleans than it is in any other city I've ever frequented. Take Bourbon St. (which I avoid entirely) for example: one block is loaded with people, but the next block may be desolate. I've lost count of the number of incidents I've heard from friends and acquaintances walking in between the Quarter and Frenchmen, as both the FQ and Marigny have some very shady and desolate spots--and those are without question the most touristy parts of the city. In fact, I think they are both too overrun and crowded now for the most part, and I have started to focus instead on clubs in the up-and-coming St. Claude area, but that is still very sketchy for stretches and never, ever to be walked at night imo.

Don't get me wrong: It is one of my favorite places on the planet and, imo, the most unique and interesting city in the United States. Live music is my greatest passion and there is more of what I am after there than anywhere else, period. I just think people need to be aware that it not safer than it was, and that it is most likely much different--and more dangerous--than most places with which they are familiar.

Can't argue with the statement that the Quarter can get a lil sketchy if you venture one or two blocks the wrong way at night.
And yes, overall (especially if comparing to CT) NO is a very dangerous city, but compared to the early 2000's, present day New Orleans does not measure up (and is comparatively safer) at least numbers-wise:
2001-> 213 murders
2002-> 258 murders
2003-> 274 murders
2004-> 264 murders

2011-> 200 murders
2012-> 193 murders
2013-> 155 murders
2104-> 76 (mid-year)

Reaction Score
Hasn't the population in NOLA decreased drastically in that last few years?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can't argue with the statement that the Quarter can get a lil sketchy if you venture one or two blocks the wrong way at night.
And yes, overall (especially if comparing to CT) NO is a very dangerous city, but compared to the early 2000's, present day New Orleans does not measure up (and is comparatively safer) at least numbers-wise:
2001-> 213 murders
2002-> 258 murders
2003-> 274 murders
2004-> 264 murders

2011-> 200 murders
2012-> 193 murders
2013-> 155 murders
2104-> 76 (mid-year)
I have no desire to throw New Orleans under the bus here, but this is what I looked at quickly: http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-New-Orleans-Louisiana.html

It's not just the raw number; the rate has to take population into account, and that has decreased dramatically since Katrina.

I believe violent crime is down in the country as a whole, including New Orleans, but I'm pretty sure New Orleans still has either the highest or second-highest murder rate to this day.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Hasn't the population in NOLA decreased drastically in that last few years?
Actually from 2010, it's increased by 10%, so no in the last few it has not decreased "drastically"

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
I have no desire to throw New Orleans under the bus here, but this is what I looked at quickly: http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-New-Orleans-Louisiana.html

It's not just the raw number; the rate has to take population into account, and that has decreased dramatically since Katrina.

I believe violent crime is down in the country as a whole, including New Orleans, but I'm pretty sure New Orleans still has either the highest or second-highest murder rate to this day.

I'm not saying New Orleans is a safe city! Jesus, but compared to the early 2000's (when it was the murder capital) it's not at that level, Flint & Detroit MI have the crown nowadays.

If you wanted to factor in pop. with raw numbers, 2013 had one of the lowest murder rates in decades.... And it looks like 2014 is following suit

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm in for the Tulane game. Is there a New Orleans local who wants to organize the pre-game UConn party?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Was there for a convention a few years ago and 2 buddies from the UK were robbed. They weren't paying attention as one was going through a divorce
Guy was hiding in a doorway. and stepped out shoved a gun in their faces demanded wallets
The buddy going through the divorce got pistol whipped and after both wallets were taken and the guy took off he came back screaming never refuse a guy with a gun and took off for good

Reaction Score
I have never had a problem there. Lots of fun- always felt as safe as I do in any city. No need to be scared.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Was there for a convention a few years ago and 2 buddies from the UK were robbed. They weren't paying attention as one was going through a divorce
Guy was hiding in a doorway. and stepped out shoved a gun in their faces demanded wallets
The buddy going through the divorce got pistol whipped and after both wallets were taken and the guy took off he came back screaming never refuse a guy with a gun and took off for good

sort of like the PGA golfer in Honolulu - nowhere is safe anymore...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golfer-robert-allenby-quits-pga-tour-event-hawaii-060219989--golf.html

Reaction Score
On the plane to New Orleans. Fired up to see my Huskies! Maybe more fired up to go to Nola!
Have a fun time. I need to go to New Orleans one of these days. I moved to Atlanta and never been to New Orleans. I'm not really a party type guy unless it is a Uconn celebration so didn't really see the appeal of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom