Tulane-Big East marriage feels more like a funeral than a celebration | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tulane-Big East marriage feels more like a funeral than a celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been lurking this board for some time and was as surprised as anyone when Tulane was added to the Big East. I'm a UConn alum living a half mile from Tulane's campus. I've been to dozens of Tulane football games in the last 5 years, and with few exceptions, they are an excellent venue for quiet reading or silent reflection. This season, there was only 1 game where actual attendance even approached 5,000 and that was Homecoming. Several games were attended by less than 3,000 fans. Around here, that's thin attendance for high school games. In an NFL stadium, this is especially depressing.

The attendance figures referenced earlier with the link to Wikipedia are completely inaccurate. Tulane routinely announces attendance by some combination of "tickets distributed" and actual turnstile attendance. This practice is not exclusive to Tulane, but probably nowhere is this practice more egregious. It became so bad that Tulane's student newspaper sued the state of Louisiana (who owns and runs the Superdome) to release actual turnstile numbers. They relented and here are the actual facts on attendance: http://www.thehullabaloo.com/news/article_a028379c-29b5-11e2-8a53-001a4bcf6878.html

Tulane is a great school, mostly uncompromising on its standards for "student-athletes". That said, as much as I would like to walk from my house to watch UConn compete in my neighborhood, it would truly be a sad day for this third-generation UConn alum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom