Tuff Conference, Smuff Conference | The Boneyard

Tuff Conference, Smuff Conference

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do enjoy it when Geno calls it like he sees it.

“We've got three more non-conference games — Texas, South Carolina and Louisville. Those are three pretty good teams, and two are on the road. I know a lot of coaches don't like to play those — this idea of, well, our conference is so tough that we don’t want to play anybody outside the conference. That's like the most bogus thing I've ever heard. "

What they mean is I have to fatten our W-L 'cuz we are probably going to lose a few. Coach P, Brenda, Mulkey ... ah, the list is too long.

Geno Auriemma Says Texas Trip Sets Up Like NCAA Tournament

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

“We've got three more non-conference games — Texas, South Carolina and Louisville. Those are three pretty good teams, and two are on the road. I know a lot of coaches don't like to play those — this idea of, well, our conference is so tough that we don’t want to play anybody outside the conference. That's like the most bogus thing I've ever heard. "

What they mean is I have to fatten our W-L 'cuz we are probably going to lose a few. Coach P, Brenda, Mulkey ... ah, the list is too long.

There is a real difference to me between the teams that avoid all tough competition out of conference - Brenda is historically big on it, Sylvia Hatchell the queen of it, perhaps and those that don't play as strong a schedule as they do. Because, in the end, you do have to fatten their win / loss because, well, they are going to lose a few in conference. And it matters when NCAA come's around.

I think the ideal (from a positioning point of view) for a decent team in the good P5 conference is to play a few more better teams than they generally do and to avoid the true little sisters - but playing some modest teams that are probably guaranteed wins (if you are as good as you think you are) is fine to me.

Geno's situation is different, and he has to coach his team to the situation he has. Plus, as he indicates, it is good NCAA prep.

Reaction Score
You’d think Geno’s ways would have more followers. Not like he hasn’t totally shown them the right way to do things.

Reaction Score
I think the ideal (from a positioning point of view) for a decent team in the good P5 conference is to play a few more better teams than they generally do and to avoid the true little sisters - but playing some modest teams that are probably guaranteed wins (if you are as good as you think you are) is fine to me.
During the last few seasons of the Big East, UConn still played a difficult OOC.
2009 -10 at duke and Oklahoma, home Clemson, Stanford, and North Carolina
2010 -11 at Stanford and North Carolina, home Baylor, Georgia Tech, LSU, and Florida State, with Ohio State at MSG
2011 -12 at Baylor and Duke, home Stanford, Texas A&M, West Virginia, and North Carolina
2012 -13 at Texas A&M, Stanford, and Oregon, home Maryland, Penn State, and Baylor, with Wake Forest and Purdue in the Paradise Jam.
That's while playing ND 3 or 4 times, Rutgers and Louisville in conference.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Leave Coach Mccallie outta this

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
During the last few seasons of the Big East, UConn still played a difficult OOC.
2009 -10 at duke and Oklahoma, home Clemson, Stanford, and North Carolina
2010 -11 at Stanford and North Carolina, home Baylor, Georgia Tech, LSU, and Florida State, with Ohio State at MSG
2011 -12 at Baylor and Duke, home Stanford, Texas A&M, West Virginia, and North Carolina
2012 -13 at Texas A&M, Stanford, and Oregon, home Maryland, Penn State, and Baylor, with Wake Forest and Purdue in the Paradise Jam.
That's while playing ND 3 or 4 times, Rutgers and Louisville in conference.
But UConn has long played the toughest schedule in the country. There was a time they were less strong, but it was a long time ago.

But what works for UConn isn't going to work for everyone. I count 14 quality games on UConn's schedule, most out of conference. Many among the top 25.

That's essentially half, and UConn didn't "choose" to play the worst teams on their schedule. I look at North Carolina and there were no quality games OOC and maybe 7 in conference. That's a big difference.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The loyalty that you show to your head coach is admirable under the circumstances. You are Duke blue true and true.

What choice do I have? :oops:

You're right. This year she's just scared of UConn.

And you're thankful she is....... like Ive stated before... if she wasnt.... #23 for yall would be playing elsewhere this season. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What choice do I have? :oops:

And you're thankful she is.. like Ive stated before... if she wasnt.... #23 for yall would be playing elsewhere this season. :rolleyes:

You eat a bad clam or some 2 week old pizza triad?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Rocky, I sort of agree with Tri-Duke here, JPM Played Ore St, Ohio St, Villanova and SC this year which is pretty good. I also think what Geno said about playing tough OOC games during conference play was pretty insightful “what have you got to lose” I believe was the quote. I know both Dawn and Karen Aston feel the same way by playing this time of year. We also have to give Coach Walz some kudos as well for upping his OOC.

Side note- I like ND (when not playing UConn) but thought their fans whining (sorry Dillon and Orang) that Louisville kept the starters in and were full court pressing on defense at times at the end was a little much for me! For Pete’s sake, ND beat Louisville 11 straight times and own them like the Globetrotters over the Generals so good for Louisville. And for that matter, ND still have a highly acclaimed 7 player rotation, somewhat similar to UConn last year. Deal with it and beat Tennessee this week!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1) Was I wrong? :confused:

2) Pizza doesnt last beyond 3 days around here :rolleyes:

Duke this year has a very good RPI. Not sure about the other. If you mean if JPM was not JPM Z would still be a Duke, well maybe. 3 days? You're slipping.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke this year has a very good RPI. Not sure about the other. If you mean if JPM was not JPM Z would still be a Duke, well maybe. 3 days? You're slipping.

I was saying that if Coach McCallie wasnt scared of UCONN (in your words) and continued to schedule them... then no way she would have permitted your current #23 to transfer there.

If I get one pizza.... 2 days max..... if i buy two pizzas... 3 days.... perhaps 4.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was saying that if Coach McCallie wasnt scared of UCONN (in your words) and continued to schedule them... then no way she would have permitted your current #23 to transfer there.

If I get one pizza.... 2 days max..... if i buy two pizzas... 3 days.... perhaps 4.

Way too subtle for this mountain hermit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom