Tuck vs. Collier who will be better? | The Boneyard

Tuck vs. Collier who will be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Thanks to oldude post to another thread I started..
I thought this might be an interesting topic for debate..
Geno has always been quick to sing the praises of how good/important Morgan was to the teams she played with in her four years at Storrs CT.. One can't help but notice the similarities in her understudy Napheesa.. And the potential for her to be just as great or even better than Morgan, So I'm curious as to what all the members here think.. Who will be better after four years at Storrs?

Reaction Score
Every quote I've read from her coaches state that Tuck has an extremely high basketball I.Q. to go along with her physical talents. I haven't heard anything about Pheesa's basketball I.Q. but she certainly might match Tuck's physical talents by the time her UCONN career is over.

Reaction Score
Tuck's knees problems limit her pro playing days. But her 4 years at UConn were the gold standard. My guess is Collier will set the new standard at UConn and have great professional career. But que sera, sera? The future will tell in 2 years.

HGN

Reaction Score
Probably Napheesa..............Only because Napheesa is the healthier of the two and will potentially play more games.
Having a set of healthy knees is a good thing. But when you factor in Morgan's leadership ability , AA status , toughness in the paint , and contribution to NC's , the choice gets a little more difficult.

I am just happy to have had both at UCONN to have such a discussion.

Reaction Score
I would say Pheesa but only because Morgan had the knee issues. But if she had been healthy, one could one think of what Morgan would have done and she did a lot. Napheesa Collier will be an All-American before she leaves.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's a very slow Friday at the office...!!! :p So here are my extended thoughts on Morgan & Pheesa:

Pheesa

- Pheesa has a bit of Gale Sayers in her overall movement that Morgan does not. This gives certain aspects of her development a pretty high long-term ceiling.
- Pheesa has better elevation which is obviously crucial in a lot of areas.
- Pheesa has a better natural shooting touch than Morgan, as evidenced by the multitude of mid- and short-range shots that Pheesa takes and hits on a regular basis. Morgan's natural touch is pretty good , but its just not at Pheesa's level, IMO. Think of that turnaround fadaeaway off glass from 12 feet that she converted the other day. (Texas? Baylor? I forget.) The smoothness and confidence she exhibited on that shot obscured the fact that it was truly a "Wow" shot and a portent of things to come. The fade serves her well against bigger defenders, now and in the future.
- Pheesa moves better without the ball than Morgan, especially off the curl because of her agility. She's like a gazelle. Pick and roll is closer as Morgan is very good here.
When on the move, Pheesa presents a somewhat larger target zone for the passer than Morgan. She plays a bit longer than Morgan, even though both are 6'1", and is more nimble.
- Pheesa's nose for the ball is at Maya's level, if the rest of her skillset is a bit short of that. This helps her get O-boards and putbacks at a somewhat higher rate than Morgan. Also her better vertical helps her finish better than Morgan.
- Pheesa is a better shot blocker and rebounder in traffic than Morgan was, although Morgan blocked WAY more shots than someone with her knees had a right to. Usually these blocks occurred in the trenches. Morgan's rebounding came more from physicality and putting a hip on people to block out and create space. Pheesa can rise up and through the mass of bodies and get her rebounds that way as well.

[Draw]
- Both have a pretty good if not great 3-point shot. Certainly enough to do damage and keep the defense honest. We'll see where Pheesa goes with this. Slight edge to Morgan here because we have seen her light it up from deep on occasion and her form is very good. Also Morgan has a quicker delivery while Pheesa appears (to me) to take a moment or two longer. On the flip side, Pheesa's hands are much higher when she shoots, while Morgan's are a bit lower and more out in front. Advantage Pheesa.
- Both use their off hands very well, both to dribble and to score.

Morgan
- Morgan's recognition and decision-making remain the gold standard for UCONN basketball. Pheesa is very good here and she understandably draws comparisons to Morgan with her court awareness, but Morgan was the best I have seen, period, and it's not close.
- Morgan sets a bit more physical and effective screens, IMO, and rolls (off the pick and roll) more effectively toward the rim with a bit more separation. (Pheesa still presents a bigger 'target' when she rolls, however.)
- Morgan is a more assertive player as far as using her body to post up own her area. Pheesa posts very well, but it's mostly as a result of sound positioning, technique and athleticism. Morgan has technique but is also more of a Jim Brown to Pheesa's Gale Sayers. (Though I'm giving this factor to Morgan, it's actually pretty close because Pheesa really knows how to seal her defender high.)
-On defense, Morgan is capable of putting a body on much bigger posts and rooting them out of their spot, fighting in the paint for position, and flat-out moving them, as Geno demands. Pheesa is very good but relies more on guile, skill, and lift in addition to sound post skills. Morgan could be a bull in a china shop if/when the situation called for it. Not sure Pheesa has that.
-Morgan's footwork also remains the gold standard for UCONN basketball, IMO. Pheesa's is excellent and again, apt comparisons are often drawn, but Morgan is the best and her footwork was constantly on display. The things she got done from 12 feet and in, 99% of players with balky knees could only dream of doing because they didn't have one iota of her footwork.
- I will probably get a lot of disagreement here, but Morgan's feet are quicker than Pheesa's. This is why she could flash out to guard the opponent's 2/3 players just fine. On defense, Pheesa compensates like Maya does, by keeping a very wide base, although her feet are quicker than Maya's. Just not quite as quick as Morgan's. I honestly think Morgan's quickness was vastly underrated during her UCONN career.
- Morgan's quicker feet and better (peerless) recognition allow her to penetrate and score from a standing stop on the perimeter better than Pheesa right now. Pheesa is better as a cutter on the move, but Morgan would see a gap and take you off the dribble in a heartbeat if she saw an open lane to the basket. Often.
-Morgan is a true born leader. Pheesa does not appear to be a shrinking violet by any means, but Morgan is Morgan. Morgan is an alpha. I think Gabby and Kia are the closest thing to alphas on this team. Lou might be a sleeper in this area and turn out to be the team's real leader by her senior year. She has a bit of an edge to her that has only begun to come out.

Verdict
Obviously Pheesa is a work in progress, whereas in hindsight we have the benefit of viewing Morgan as a finished (college) product. I think ultimately, Pheesa's natural scoring ability, offensive creativity and athletic gifts might ultimately give her the edge if she stays on her current path.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was a quality that Morgan brought to the team from the first day, that had little to do with her actual play or the stats she accumulated, and it is not a quality that Napheesa really exhibits.

As far as the play on the court - they are built differently, but offensively have very similar qualities - incredible ability to get off shots and score around the basket against much taller players, plus some good outside shooting. I think Napheesa has more potential but it is pretty close.

Defensively there is a larger difference - Morgan was a great low post defender straight up. She had more strength and determination to battle bigger players. Napheesa is struggling in this regard and Uconn is devoting more assets to help both her and Gabby in post defense, and unlike Morgan they sometimes need to call on Butler to bail out their deficiencies. They are both good in space out to the arc, and I don't see an advantage either way.

So - I think Napheesa has more upside on the offensive side, but trails Morgan as a defender and as a leader/influencer of her teammates outside the lines.

Both great players.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
There was a quality that Morgan brought to the team from the first day, that had little to do with her actual play or the stats she accumulated, and it is not a quality that Napheesa really exhibits.

As far as the play on the court - they are built differently, but offensively have very similar qualities - incredible ability to get off shots and score around the basket against much taller players, plus some good outside shooting. I think Napheesa has more potential but it is pretty close.

Defensively there is a larger difference - Morgan was a great low post defender straight up. She had more strength and determination to battle bigger players. Napheesa is struggling in this regard and Uconn is devoting more assets to help both her and Gabby in post defense, and unlike Morgan they sometimes need to call on Butler to bail out their deficiencies. They are both good in space out to the arc, and I don't see an advantage either way.

So - I think Napheesa has more upside on the offensive side, but trails Morgan as a defender and as a leader/influencer of her teammates outside the lines.

Both great players.

Excellent points.

Tuck was a leader both playing, vocally and by example, hard to match that. Tuck defended post players as UC said much more physically and did not allow them to get position, Collier allowed even Turner to get position on her and she is on the lighter side. The biggest difference I see is the court vision and understanding the offense and reading the defense. Tuck is way above in that category and was even as a freshman, which also made her a better passer as she understood where and when to put the ball for posts, cutters and shooters. Williams is starting to show some of Tucks qualities in that regard which is helping Collier get into her favorite part of the court anywhere around the rim as posts find it difficult to guard a more movement oriented player in that area.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Tuck may have been a better positional defender but Collier is more disruptive; will far surpass Morgan in steals and blocks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno has always been quick to sing the praises of how good/important Morgan was to the teams she played with in her four years at Storrs CT.. One can't help but notice the similarities in her understudy Napheesa.. And the potential for her to be just as great or even better than Morgan, So I'm curious as to what all the members here think.. Who will be better after four years at Storrs?
As Bajan Best indicated, I'm guilty of starting this discussion on another thread, where I did say that I thought Pheesa would eventually surpass Morgan, and I am largely in agreement with everyone's comments relative to this comparison.

It is unbelievable that 8 games after AA Morgan Tuck played her last game, to depart UConn as a 4-time national champion, that someone as incredibly talented as Pheesa was waiting in the wings to replace her.

Yes, the rich just keep on getting richer.

Reaction Score
Imagine Tuck, injury free.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Can always count on insightful perspectives from this community... :) unfortunately we'll have to wait at least untill the end of next season to give a fair assessment.. Thanks for sharing your thoughts..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with SLUConn, Miami, and Mike. This is repetitive, but I need to say something ... :)

On defense, I agree that Morgan's positional defense is excellent, while Pheesa's length is disruptive. Morgan was the only player who could stop the great Stewie. She must be really, really, really good.

Pheesa moves better overall. She's a glider, in a good way. Morgan's footwork is world-class. Someone (her father, I think) taught her very well.

Morgan was the calming influence and "Grandma." She is one of the smartest players around. I don't know if Geno ever complained about her.

I like Pheesa's higher release on her shot. She also uses more wrist and hand.

I'm not choosing between these two BELOVED players. The winners are UConn ... and us!

Reaction Score
I agree with those who want to see Napheesa's four-year portfolio, I suspect that at the end I'll vote for her over Tuck, whose game I really admire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom