Tuck back at UConn? | The Boneyard

Tuck back at UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now that Morgan is not going to Korea as she rehabs from her knee injury (and presumably surgery), I was wondering if she would become a Grad Assistant for UConn BB. It seems like it would be a fit. We know how much Geno admires her attitude, work ethic and abilities. She still lives in the area. Doesn't UConn have an opening for a GA?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Now that Morgan is not going to Korea as she rehabs from her knee injury (and presumably surgery), I was wondering if she would become a Grad Assistant for UConn BB. It seems like it would be a fit. We know how much Geno admires her attitude, work ethic and abilities. She still lives in the area. Doesn't UConn have an opening for a GA?

An excellent observation. Her unfortunate and untimely season ending injury will afford her the opportunity to rehab her injury under the care and watchful eye of the UConn medical staff, and work on her master's degree at the same time. The cost of her medical treatments and therapy would be covered by her employer, the Conneticut Sun organization. If she has aspirations of going into coaching later on, this would give her an excellent opportunity to get her feet wet.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Morgan may be wise to seek the advice of the trainer who helped her extensively before , Rosemary Ragle. I believe Rosemary is now on the staff of
the NY Liberty.

Reaction Score
Boy oh boy would that be a superb fix for all concerned!! If Tuck rehabs she has Rosemary's replacement to help with rehab and just think what Tuck can do for the game of Kayla, Gabby and Collier.
I must say, on a personal basis, I have great sorrow for Morgans' knee issues--I've live with knee problems for more than most have been alive--it ain't fun. It may be time for Morgan to decide to toss the Pro Baskeball and settle in on Coaching--or what ever her brain will do for her. The body doesn't get easier to fix as one ages and old injuries come back to haunt us.

Reaction Score
An excellent observation. Her unfortunate and untimely season ending injury will afford her the opportunity to rehab her injury under the care and watchful eye of the UConn medical staff, and work on her master's degree at the same time. The cost of her medical treatments and therapy would be covered by her employer, the Conneticut Sun organization. If she has aspirations of going into coaching later on, this would give her an excellent opportunity to get her feet wet.

Based on previous knee problems for Tuck, it is more probable they'll be an issue for her however her career extends. I'd counsel her to get the masters/phd and find a job using her brain, not body. Now not later.
An assistant's job at Uconn will give her access to good to great doctors who know how to fix or at least make them liveable and Great trainers. If Geno offers jump on it!!
Leaving a game or job you love to do is hard at any age but those that survive must do it.
On a right/wrong average my WRONGS exceed my right--you know we learn from our mistakes not the ones we got right..

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Based on previous knee problems for Tuck, it is more probable they'll be an issue for her however her career extends. I'd counsel her to get the masters/phd and find a job using her brain, not body. Now not later. An assistant's job at Uconn will give her access to good to great doctors who know how to fix or at least make them liveable and Great trainers. If Geno offers jump on it!! Leaving a game or job you love to do is hard at any age but those that survive must do it. On a right/wrong average my WRONGS exceed my right--you know we learn from our mistakes not the ones we got right..
That's why I really thought she'd come back for her last year of eligibility and presumably finish her master's degree...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based on previous knee problems for Tuck, it is more probable they'll be an issue for her however her career extends. I'd counsel her to get the masters/phd and find a job using her brain, not body. Now not later.
An assistant's job at Uconn will give her access to good to great doctors who know how to fix or at least make them liveable and Great trainers. If Geno offers jump on it!!
Leaving a game or job you love to do is hard at any age but those that survive must do it.
On a right/wrong average my WRONGS exceed my right--you know we learn from our mistakes not the ones we got right..
Not as simple as it sounds. The WNBA collective agreement is a complicated beast. For example I believe each team is only allowed to insure Maximum of 6 player contracts against injury. Not sure where Morgan stands with that, but potentially she could be walking away from some potential $$$ where all she would have to do is make an attempt to get back and play.

Reaction Score
But a GA, if available, would just be a one academic year commitment during the WNBA off season. So she wouldn't need to make a decision on her pro ball future. But I guess there may not be an opening.

Reaction Score
Not as simple as it sounds. The WNBA collective agreement is a complicated beast. For example I believe each team is only allowed to insure Maximum of 6 player contracts against injury. Not sure where Morgan stands with that, but potentially she could be walking away from some potential $$$ where all she would have to do is make an attempt to get back and play.
If she CAN't walk away--she can't. If she gets the choice--and it appear at that time that her playing time is limited or the team trades her down--if I were her I'd opt out to a Brain consumption job.
I do appreciate the information, I wasn't aware of the Collective Bargaining constrictions.
Question if a team injuries exceeds 6 players does that say the 7,8,9 players are "not going to have any insurance covering any potential injury?? Or that with 6 players out the 7th is ousted from their contract??
I understand, from what you wrote, that Morgan will be getting paid --for some time based on her injury. But obviously there must be a time limit for even catastrophic knee injuries!

Reaction Score
But a GA, if available, would just be a one academic year commitment during the WNBA off season. So she wouldn't need to make a decision on her pro ball future. But I guess there may not be an opening.

One thing most can count on is GENO. If there is any way for him to wrangle an opening and Ms Tuck requires it---she'll get it. In GENO I BELIEVE!!
Geno and Christine have done so much that is hidden under the Catholic bushel basket--most never realize all that they do for Team, Ex Team, the state of Connecticut (meaning towns and its people)
I disagree with a some of what he has done--but the size of the collective hearts of him and Christine I shall never not believe in..

Reaction Score

I read your --But a GA, if available AS if a Geno Auriemma, is available--took a bit for Grad Assistant to jump in the blank mind.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she CAN't walk away--she can't. If she gets the choice--and it appear at that time that her playing time is limited or the team trades her down--if I were her I'd opt out to a Brain consumption job.
I do appreciate the information, I wasn't aware of the Collective Bargaining constrictions.
Question if a team injuries exceeds 6 players does that say the 7,8,9 players are "not going to have any insurance covering any potential injury?? Or that with 6 players out the 7th is ousted from their contract??
I understand, from what you wrote, that Morgan will be getting paid --for some time based on her injury. But obviously there must be a time limit for even catastrophic knee injuries!
Q: Does that say the 7,8,9 players are "not going to have any insurance covering any potential injury??
A: The team cannot have Base Salary Protection for players 7-12 is my understanding. The specific language is:
"no Team, at any one time, may be a party to, or have any obligations to pay Base Salary under, more than six (6) Player Contracts that contain Base Salary protection of any kind during the then-current or any future Season."
The Player of course is free to provide their own insurance and to be clear this is not medical insurance insurance we are talking about it is to continue collecting your salary. In my job and maybe yours it would be like having only 6 employees having 100% long term disability paid by the company and the rest of the employees on their own. So if Morgan is not one of the 6 Suns players whose base salary is insured by the team even the remainder of her salary for this season maybe at risk.

The entire 301 page document can be found here.
http://wnbpa-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/docs/WNBA CBA 2014-2021Final.pdf

Reaction Score
Q: Does that say the 7,8,9 players are "not going to have any insurance covering any potential injury??
A: The team cannot have Base Salary Protection for players 7-12 is my understanding. The specific language is:
"no Team, at any one time, may be a party to, or have any obligations to pay Base Salary under, more than six (6) Player Contracts that contain Base Salary protection of any kind during the then-current or any future Season."
The Player of course is free to provide their own insurance and to be clear this is not medical insurance insurance we are talking about it is to continue collecting your salary. In my job and maybe yours it would be like having only 6 employees having 100% long term disability paid by the company and the rest of the employees on their own. So if Morgan is not one of the 6 Suns players whose base salary is insured by the team even the remainder of her salary for this season maybe at risk.

Thank you very very much. I enjoy learning about the workings of the Wnba.--I realize they are not stuffed with money and the contract reflects just that.

You expect ME to READ when I can pick your brain. Sounds like a 1950 job description--.However, smart women/men, I'm sure will have "salary" protective insurance--for this kind of situation. If that is the case, Morgan could, if available or granted, take on an assistant Coach /Grad Assistant/ house janitor for Geno and have pay continue through her insurance. I had that in the dark ages--it was good for 3 months--and used it.

Reaction Score

If I didn't say this before--I know what it takes to review and understand lengthy contracts--I did that a number of times as a FED (one contract was for 2.29 billion) --you have added a whole new level of respect from me.
To be able to pull that up immediately --is exceptionally impressive..

Thank you!! I'm impressed!

Reaction Score
A few intelligent posters, as you are, have told me that Geno/Uconn may have a full load of employees/assistances/support personnel--and not have the authority to offer her a job.
I've posted elsewhere that I believe in Geno--and I still do--I know that Uconn jobs are State jobs and are regulated and authorized by the State which means getting her a job will be difficult--I didn't say impossible--it is possible to transfer a position, on a temporary basis (could last 20 years) to Geno/WBB/Athletics dept. In the government- its about POWER--it is always easier to get absolution than permission (remember that one)--and nothing within the hiring process is not do-able. If you have a level of horsepower and want a brother or friend enough --it can and usually is done. You may read comments to the contrary--they are only speaking LAW not what happens within the REAL government.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If I didn't say this before--I know what it takes to review and understand lengthy contracts--I did that a number of times as a FED (one contract was for 2.29 billion) --you have added a whole new level of respect from me.
To be able to pull that up immediately --is exceptionally impressive..
Thank you!! I'm impressed!
Thank you. I am a very eclectic reader with a gift for remembering specific minutia. My wife mostly tolerates me but occasionally scoffs by saying of the minutia: "That would be real useful if we were on Jeopardy right now, but since we are not.... ." This particular minutia-that the WNBA can only insure up to 6 player contracts against injury - I remember because it so sharply contrasts with the NBA where every single penny of the every single contract is guaranteed against injury.

Reaction Score
Thank you. I am a very eclectic reader with a gift for remembering specific minutia. My wife mostly tolerates me but occasionally scoffs by saying of the minutia: "That would be real useful if we were on Jeopardy right now, but since we are not.... ." This particular minutia-that the WNBA can only insure up to 6 player contracts against injury - I remember because it so sharply contrasts with the NBA where every single penny of the every single contract is guaranteed against injury.
I too have a brain full of useless Jeopardy material--she spells for me--I tell her how many years the French Revolution lasted (not just 1789 as many books say).
Compatico!!! I was the one in my office that "shredded" contracts --i.e broke them down to small understandable chunks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Morgan would be a HUGE asset. She's extremely knowledgeable, articulate, and communicative. I hope that Geno can find something for her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Listen. Could you do my taxes next year? If not, I'll need you as my lifeline. I mean my literal lifeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom