Tubby Smith out as Memphis head coach | The Boneyard

Tubby Smith out as Memphis head coach

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What is Memphis doing?

This seems like it will end the way it ended for Pitt after they fired Dixon....

edit: He wasn't fired left on his own

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know what Memphis expected but he hardly got a chance. I thought he did a pretty good job this season with what he had. Maybe the whole thing with the Lawsons and not having a great recruiting class for next year was what did it. Recruiting was never his thing at Kentucky either.

Smith says he's out as coach of Memphis
Tubby was a strange hire but he did a great job this year and that team should have gone to the NIT.
Recruiting and the kids leaving plus Memphis expectations make that a tough job.

Reaction Score
Beyond a shadow of doubt, Penny Hardaway has absolutely all of the coaching experience and credentials for a successful career. Helpful suggestion, a hundred grand extra or so a year, no commitment by Memphis CC to pay him an unjustifiable $1 billion penny buyout.

Reaction Score
I think that was a mistake, but time shall tell. Memphis actually improved as the season progressed, for the most part. They did not look as good vs Uconn, in spurts, during the second game, compared to the first. But I really though the Tigers were making progress this year overall. Could be something they end up regretting, maybe not.

I feel like this was all for Penny. No sympathy if they crash and burn and won't celebrate any successes either because I do not agree with the choice. Unfair to Tubby considering what he faced going in and the strides he made in spite of the adversary.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, but Pittsburgh did lower his buyout.

If I remember correctly Dixon was starting to feel heat from the administration and got out because he thought he was ultimately going to be let go at some point. Not sure how many years he had left on his contract.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Dixon was starting to feel heat from the administration and got out because he thought he was ultimately going to be let go at some point. Not sure how many years he had left on his contract.
Plus, isn’t he a TCU alumni? Already turned that garbage team around.

Reaction Score
I feel for Tubby Smith, but ( being parochial) I’m more concerned over what affect his leaving may have on our recruiting efforts ....with the Memphis head coach position now also in play.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Plus, isn’t he a TCU alumni? Already turned that garbage team around.

another reason why a guy like Pikell probably would've taken the job, even as a non-P5 had he not gotten his fat new extension.

Saving your alma mater has a very real emotional draw.

Reaction Score
I feel for Tubby Smith, but ( being parochial) I’m more concerned over what affect his leaving may have on our recruiting efforts ....with the Memphis head coach position now also in play.
Penny Hardaway is going to be the next coach isn’t final yet. I feel bad for Tubby because his team did improve. Plus Pastner left at the right time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If it is Penny, he's probably going to recruit like a beast. That first big class is a lock, and then he'll use all his Memphis connects to keep a pipeline going, with the momentum thing spilling over into outside recruiting circles. No idea how he'll handle other aspects of the job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom