TSO cuts 10 players at NCCU | The Boneyard

TSO cuts 10 players at NCCU

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Was just going to post this story. I don't know how they will field a team next year, never mind a Winning Team. 10 out of 14 players not returning.

Seems like for the Juniors, the school should put the players on an academic scholarship to offset the loss of the athletic scholarship. Those are the players that may have the most difficulty getting another athletic scholarship at another school for one year.

Reaction Score
All the schools will fire the coach except this one, fired student players.
Can they get any more players this coming year?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
The dark side of college athletics. Sure doesn't help recruiting. Is the coach a new hire?
Her bio says she was hired in May of 2017, so she has 1 season at this school.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
She was the one who coached at both UNC and Duke, right? Weird story.

Reaction Score
Concordia University introduced Trisha Stafford-Odom as the ninth women's basketball coach in program history in 2013-14.

HGN

Reaction Score
WOW!!! Win or else at NCCU. Talk about throwing the players under the bus. Not only throw them under the bus , but run over them and then back up on them too.

Did the coach ever consider that the losing record could have something to do with the coaching ?

Reaction Score
If there are bad seeds a coach should be allowed to push players out. HOWEVER, it shouldn't be 10.

And an HBCU like NCCU should really care more about educating young black women.

It's not like this team is going to challenge for a national title. This conference is terribly weak, and an epic year would mean .... a #16 seed.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough i have heard (word of mouth) that TSO is hard to play for. One of those situations where good assistants don’t always make good head coaches.

Reaction Score
This decision undermines the fact that college should be about education first. I wonder why any parent would allow their child to play for that coach after what she has done. I would not let that coach anywhere near my child.

Reaction Score
If these young ladies broke rules, then the coach has a responsibility to make that public. She and the athletic director have a responsibility to make clear why they are pulling scholarships. And to pull scholarships from kids who are completing their junior year, who would have to repeat that year at a new university in order to receive a degree (most universities require the equivalent of two years in residence in order to earn a BA/BS from the institution), it puts a large burden on the students.

I can understand a coach wanting to recruit her own athletes. But to cut scholarship support from ten of the fourteen players? Cruel and unacceptable. This is why so many athletes have been agitating for the NCAA to guarantee scholarship offers for four years, not just one.

The school's silence on this is deafening. Something is very wrong here. Hope reporters stay on this story, and help get justice for these young ladies.

Reaction Score
If these young ladies broke rules, then the coach has a responsibility to make that public. She and the athletic director have a responsibility to make clear why they are pulling scholarships.

They need to make it clear to the players. To the public, not so much. In fact, privacy laws may restrict exactly what can be said.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is this so different then when Geno first started and alot of the old players could not adjust and left the team. Voluntary or pushed, it is hard to differentiate. The bottom line is if the players are good enough to play and earn a scholarship, they will find another team and probably would have a good case of waiving the transfer sitting period. If not, they had alot of their education paid for. jmho.

Reaction Score
Is this so different then when Geno first started and alot of the old players could not adjust and left the team.

Left the team is a big difference from not having scholarship being renewed.
10 is a big difference from a couple of players. I absolutely expect some discord/transfers with a new coach.

And how about, I dunno, _coaching_ ? If you can't salvage a couple of players out of 10 I kinda wonder what you're doing.

It's possible that there was one big clique of 10 and they collectively refused to cooperate, and so this was her laying down the law. But that's a huge IF.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough i have heard (word of mouth) that TSO is hard to play for. One of those situations where good assistants don’t always make good head coaches.

Rumor has it that there is some guy at UConn that is also "very difficult" to play for.
None of us know why these players got dumped, however I'm willing to consider that maybe it was for cause - even if it were that they stunk up the court and the coach is cleaning house in hopes of taking the team in a new direction. Who knows?

Reaction Score
Frankly I find it insulting that folks are comparing this coach to Geno.

Reaction Score
'Coincidentally', the 4 players who were not kicked off the team were also the top 4 scorers this year.

STAY
Rodneyshia Martin - JR
Caira Benton - JR
Paulina Afirye - SO
Kieche White - FR

GONE
Dominique Adams - JR
Sami Oliver-Alexander - JR
Jayla Calhoun - JR
Deja McCain - JR
Ezinne Mbumalu - JR
Darria Hewitt - SO
Jada Blow - SO
Kayla Hall - FR
Alyssa Thompson - FR

GRAD
Kierona Martin - SR

Reaction Score
They need to make it clear to the players. To the public, not so much. In fact, privacy laws may restrict exactly what can be said.

They have a responsibility to inform the students, which they did not do. And they have an obligation to inform the community at the very least that they took the scholarships away from ten scholarship athletes, and why they did so. This is, after all, a public university and the scholarships mostly come from public tax dollars. And let's be clear that this is extraordinary. So the university community and the state deserve an accounting.

Clearly, there has been no public accounting, and the administration have refused to explain themselves. So the administration won't give an honest answer to the student athletes, to the university community, or to the public.

That stinks. I'm guessing that there could be a lawsuit here to at the very least get to the truth. And the NCAA might also like to get a straight answer out of them, especially when the NCAA has approved the offering of four-year scholarships by a number of top conferences. This gives the game a big bruised eye.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Insulted by what? Even if my comment was intended to compare Auriemma to this coach (it wasn't) why in hell should it insult you?

Wow, you really are out in left field without a hat.

Reaction Score
We do not know if they did or did not inform the students.

The kids who were interviewed on camera made clear that they were not told the reason why their scholarships were cancelled. And the interviewer was unable to get any response as to the reasons why they were cancelled. Seems pretty clear that the university did this without any explanation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom