Troubling start. Still time to finish strong. | The Boneyard

Troubling start. Still time to finish strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I must admit I was afraid to even venture anywhere near the Boneyard the last couple of games.

I'm sure many are saying the sky is falling. We're just two games into the season, so there's a lot of ball to be played and time to improve. With that said, this is the worst UConn team I've seen in a long time. I'm not saying this team won't be good at some point this season. They have a lot of talented players, but they're just a bad team right now. I could see there were going to be problems right from watching the first couple of preseason games. They're a terrible rebounding team. They're not defending well. They're not shooting well. I could go on and on. I'm sure everyone else here has had similar observations.

What alarms me most about this team, is an all-around lack of basketball instincts. We are being outplayed by lesser teams that are simply executing better and playing smarter basketball.

I can't put my finger on it, but I don't think it's simply blaming the coaching, the overall level of talent, the lack of improvement by the upper classmen, bad chemistry, lacking at any given position or lack of talent with the newcomers.

I knew they'd have some early bad losses, but this is worse than I anticipated. Let's see if they can begin to execute better and play with a level of desperation that will set this season back in the right direction. This team can be a tough out come tournament time. Let's hope they get the opportunity to prove it to all of us.

I've not given up on them. I've seen some bad early losses by some past UConn teams that finished well. There's still a lot of time to finish well.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My concern is it's the same basic stuff they've stunk at for five years. They just don't move the ball. Northeastern was light-years better at ball movement.

The possession with about 1:30 to go, where they got the ball to Larrier at the foul line for an easy jumper was one of two good sets they ran in 40 minutes. It's just inexcusable to be completely unable to break down a mid-pack CAA zone.

It really, really, really, really, REALLY is not that difficult.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Thanks, DM for a breath of sanity.
They may not finish strong but I have no doubt that they will improve as the season progresses. Coach Ollie has a big challenge ahead this season, but he has the determination and strength of character to see it through. Ten toes in, Baby!

Reaction Score
Of course they can finish strong. The thing is, based on how they look, it is highly unlikely. Everyone here would be happy if they did. Then we could look back and say, "WTF was that?"

But, given the low probability, we need to start asking what the plan is after a third bad season in a row and a bad trajectory. For me, if this doesn't miraculously turn around, Ollie goes on the hot seat and is given one more year. By the end of 2018 they have to win the AAC regular season and get to the sweet 16 or we need to look for a new coach and "the family" needs to be locked out of the process.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
My concern is it's the same basic stuff they've stunk at for five years. They just don't move the ball. Northeastern was light-years better at ball movement.

The possession with about 1:30 to go, where they got the ball to Larrier at the foul line for an easy jumper was one of two good sets they ran in 40 minutes. It's just inexcusable to be completely unable to break down a mid-pack CAA zone.

It really, really, really, really, REALLY is not that difficult.

One of the possessions right after that Larrier foul line jumper showed just how bad they are. Down three we passed the ball around the perimeter (shocking I know) for what seemed like an eternity with no one even having the thought of driving and then Larrier gets worried as absolutely nothing is happening and takes a terrible three point shot which predictably clangs offs. No one even thought or attempted to break down the defense and then kick out for an open 3.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong but, unlike the old days when practice started on a given day and you practiced daily after that, they can now start earlier but scatter in days off so that they don't exceed some maximum number of practices prior to a given date. Is that correct?

Reaction Score
Have to say, I was looking at twitter after the game, not really even to see the reactions, but I saw some truly disgusting venom spat at our players twitter accounts directly "you're a disgrace to the jersey", "quit"

If you are one of these fans, just leave, sell your jerseys and your merch, don't come back to the boneyard, just shut your stupid mouth and leave the team alone. No one will miss you

Yes, this is awful, but its basketball, have some self respect and live your life without feeling the need to be despicable to college kids.

Side note: anyone throwing in the towel, I can take your season tickets!

Reaction Score
Have to say, I was looking at twitter after the game, not really even to see the reactions, but I saw some truly disgusting venom spat at our players twitter accounts directly "you're a disgrace to the jersey", "quit"

If you are one of these fans, just leave, sell your jerseys and your merch, don't come back to the boneyard, just shut your stupid mouth and leave the team alone. No one will miss you

Yes, this is awful, but its basketball, have some self respect and live your life without feeling the need to be despicable to college kids.

Side note: anyone throwing in the towel, I can take your season tickets!
Oh god, that is unacceptable. Most of these kids want to play well and be succesful. Some of them may be lazy or have major flaws in their game. But, even then, they shouldn't have to put up with that. The coaching staff recruited them and coaches them. Everything is their fault. The players are who they are. The buck should always stop at the head coach.

Reaction Score
You can critique the players performance , Ollie and throw in the cheerleaders and the water person but never should these kids have to take personal abuse on social media , going way to far. Some people !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom