Trouble Between Sims and Mulkey? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trouble Between Sims and Mulkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Lots of speculation but the theme that seems to be the most prevalent is that Mulkey felt that Sims' injury was less severe than Sims was indicating and therefore she is holding her out as punishment. I can't say that is true but seems to be the line of thinking. After Sims went down in the Stanford game it was reported that Mulkey tore into Sims on the sidelines so it seems that this is where the friction began.

Leaving Sims at home for the road trip to Rice seems to be a big statement by Mulkey. Baylor had one PG quit at the beginning of senior year just a few years ago...I don't want to see a similar situation.

Regardless of the situation Sims would be well served to stay off Twitter.

HGN

Reaction Score
That Happiness or National Championship comment is the one that has me frowning......Indeed it sounds like she is saying she wouldn't be 'happy' playing at Baylor for a National Championship right now. But why, is the bigger question.

Questions such as , 1) Has she been cleared to play; 2) Has Mulkey refused to play her for whatever reason; 3) And has she been cleared to play and Mulkey wants her to play , but Sims has refused to take the floor for whatever reason.

Its all very confusing.:confused:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I am sure our founding fathers were concerned with Tweets when they wrote the first ten amendments. I mean in the Bill of Rights afterall.......However, what we need to keep in mind is that the Amendments and the Constitution was established to protect the people from the power of the government and try to prevent the government from overstepping their power.... The Government cannot infringe on our rights. Geno is the the government, and since the players have scholarships from UCONN, Geno is in essence their boss, and bosses do have the ability to put a limit on what their employees can and cannot do. So if he says no tweeting.. no tweeting.

Your post is self-contradictory. The First Amendment was squarely aimed at limiting the ability of government to limit speech. That you seem to accept. Then you equate Geno to government, yet conclude that he has the right to limit speech.

Which is your opinion? Can government put limits on speech or not?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I have noticed a couple of posts on this board regarding Sims' attitude during games...could she have been acting out her unhappiness by taking an attitude on opposing players? Could that have been a warning sign that trouble was brewing?

Reaction Score
"*Always do what's best for YOU! " Yikes...
No--that works for me, and I suspect that most of us do that most of the time. If we "take one for the team" (whatever team it is) or pick up our kid when we'd rather stay home and read the Boneyard, we do it as much to affirm our image as a generous or responsible guy as out of self-sacrifice. And maybe self-sacrifice makes us feel like a generous or responsible guy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting discussion on rights. Not sure being on a team is in anyway protected activity and playing time certainly is not, so the creation of rules regarding forms of communication in regard to being on a team is certainly not cut and dried. And I am not sure supression of twitter while allowing all other forms of free speach would really qualify as 1st amendment rights being supressed. For example I am pretty sure secure government facilities can demand that their employees and visitors do not carry personal phones with cameras through the facility and they certainly do not have the right to talk about the work going on. Heck, no one can't use their phone or camera while going through immigration at the airport.
As for this situation - seems obvious that Sims is in a personal dilemma about something in her life and that it might affect her basketball life though it might not have anything to do with the team or coach. There are a number of possible situation in a young person's life that could be causing this - health of a relative, boyfriend moving away, etc. etc.
I do agree that twitter is probably not the best place to be making the decision, but then I did not grow up broadcasting my every emotion on social media.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
No--that works for me, and I suspect that most of us do that most of the time. If we "take one for the team" (whatever team it is) or pick up our kid when we'd rather stay home and read the Boneyard, we do it as much to affirm our image as a generous or responsible guy as out of self-sacrifice. And maybe self-sacrifice makes us feel like a generous or responsible guy.

Well we disagree, that is for sure. Just within my family, helping each other out comes before our own personal agendas if at all possible. And, it is almost always possible. Mz Oz sets the bar for this…everyone else comes before her. She is awesome.

Reaction Score
I knew tweeking could prove detrimental to ones basketball career, but tweeting? :)

Reaction Score
Sims does seem to be taking her frustrations out in her tweets. Not sure if it is a sign of an impending decision to transfer or not.

Twitter has become a modern version of a diary with a very big difference. Instead of writing your thoughts in a book that you stash in your drawer and is intended to stay private, your every thought is posted online for the world to see. If you write something you later regret in your diary, you can always tear the page out and no one will see it. But if you tweet something you later regret, while you can remove it the damage may already be done. As the saying goes, you can't take words back once they have been said. Twitter is more like speaking than writing and once something is posted and has been noticed, you can't ever really take them back.

Whatever is going on, it seems like someone should pull Odyssey aside and advise her to stop the tweeting. It isn't going to help and could end up being far more damaging than she intends. She needs to find another way to blow off steam.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a significant other involved in Odyssey's happiness,love, dorm or apartment etc. Could be that Kim has said that Odyssey needs to move into a dorm because of past transgressions that haven't been reported. Baylor is known for its strict polices regarding behavior.

Reaction Score
The other point, is that a sports team is not a democracy. It is, for all intents and purposes, a dictatorship of sorts. The coach makes the rules, and you can choose to abide by them or not. If you agree, you have to opportunity to participate in that team sport; if not, you can find somewhere else to play.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a significant other involved in Odyssey's happiness,love, dorm or apartment etc. Could be that Kim has said that Odyssey needs to move into a dorm because of past transgressions that haven't been reported. Baylor is known for its strict polices regarding behavior.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Speculation reminder - We do not allow "Harmful Speculation". That includes speculation about a player transferring or speculating on reasons behind actions that get wrapped around a person's personal life.

This thread has begun to cross that line. I know that tweets are public but if people want to gossip about them, do it somewhere other than the boneyard please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom