Trivia Question re NCAA Championship | The Boneyard

Trivia Question re NCAA Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How many times have undefeated teams met for the championship? What was the most recent?
PS: I don't know the answer to either - just wondering if UCONN and ND might meet as undefeated this year (much harder to envision ND undefeated at that point).

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There's never been a year when two undefeated teams entered the tournament, so it could never have happened. In 1997 UConn was undefeated going in and there were two 1-loss teams in there also. I believe UConn and Stanford in 2010 was the only time the two teams had 1 loss between them.

Reaction Score
I have not done the research, but the above response seems dead on accurate.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
In 1986, Texas entered the tournament with zero losses, and Georgia with one, so there was a potential of a match up between two teams with only a single loss combined. However, Georgia lost in the regional semis, so didn't make it to the title game. Texas, of course, ended the season undefeated.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
In 1986, Texas entered the tournament with zero losses, and Georgia with one, so there was a potential of a match up between two teams with only a single loss combined. However, Georgia lost in the regional semis, so didn't make it to the title game. Texas, of course, ended the season undefeated.
Did UConn ever play a one loss team for the championship in its undefeated seasons?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually, yes, as I noted above, in 2010 with Stanford, the Cards' one loss coming earlier against UConn. Stanford thus finished 36-2.
So Stanford was 36-0 against everyone else. Methinks those streak-busters in blue and white may have frustrated them.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So Stanford was 36-0 against everyone else. Methinks those streak-busters in blue and white may have frustrated them.
Payback time. The Cards frustrated UConn a bit too, but that year mainly for just one half.

Reaction Score
Actually, yes, as I noted above, in 2010 with Stanford, the Cards' one loss coming earlier against UConn. Stanford thus finished 36-2.
I misread the question. (That's another way of saying I was wrong).

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
In 1998, two undefeated teams played each other in the tournament. Tennessee and Liberty both entered the tournament undefeated, and played each other in a first round matchup. Tennessee won and went on to win the NC that year.

In 1992, Vermont entered the tournament undefeated (oddly as an at-large), and there were two one loss teams in the tournmant, VA and Miami, but VT lost in the first round, so no match up among teams with only a single loss between them.

In 1993, VT went for deja vu points, also making to the tournament undefeated, also as an at-large, and also losing their first round game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom