Tristen Newton named as one of Top 10 Candidates for the Bob Cousy Award | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton named as one of Top 10 Candidates for the Bob Cousy Award

Reaction Score
I probably missed this somewhere on the Yard, but today they announced the top 10 candidates for the Bob Cousy Award. In October he was on a list of 20 they announced.

The Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame announced the Top 10 candidates for the 2024 Bob Cousy Award.

Named after Class of 1971 Hall of Famer and former Boston Celtic and Holy Cross guard Bob Cousy, the annual honor, now in its 21st year, recognizes the top point guard in Division I men’s college basketball.

2024 Bob Cousy Award Candidates*

Isaiah StevensColorado State Boo BuieNorthwestern
Jamal SheadHoustonZakai ZeiglerTennessee
Dajuan Harris Jr.KansasMax AbmasTexas
Tyler KolekMarquette Wade Taylor IVTexas A&M
Jahvon QuinerlyMemphisTristen NewtonUConn
*Players can play their way onto and off the list at any point in the 2023-24 season.

Reaction Score
I don't have tickets, but I want to be in person at Senior Night to root the heck out of Tristen and be there to thank him for all his hard work during his three years at Storrs.

If you are selling one or two tickets, send me a PM!

Reaction Score
How is RJ Davis not on the list?
He'll be on this one when they announce the top 10.

Reaction Score
IMG_0259.jpeg

Reaction Score
As of right now I would say Tristan Tristen is the frontrunner with Shead #2.
So as most on here know by now I'm on a crusade to get everyone to spell this kid's name correctly. So I have a serious question. Please don't take this as being confrontational. Anyone who spells his name wrong can answer this one.

How do people who are on the Boneyard, some of the most fervent UConn fans, see his name spelled hundreds, if not thousands, of times on here, during games, and in articles the last 2 years then spell his name incorrectly? I'm genuinely curious how that can happen.

Reaction Score
So as most on here know by now I'm on a crusade to get everyone to spell this kid's name correctly. So I have a serious question. Please don't take this as being confrontational. Anyone who spells his name wrong can answer this one.

How do people who are on the Boneyard, some of the most fervent UConn fans, see his name spelled hundreds, if not thousands, of times on here, during games, and in articles the last 2 years then spell his name incorrectly? I'm genuinely curious how that can happen.
I don't knuw!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't have tickets, but I want to be in person at Senior Night to root the heck out of Tristen and be there to thank him for all his hard work during his three years at Storrs.
Hay Adrian and Hoopar Scoopar -

Can either of you tell me how I missed a full year of Newton's play?

And, somewhat on topic, we've got to be close to the 1-year anniversary of this board being throat-punched with a claim that the roster's fatal flaw was having been constructed without a point guard.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How do people who are on the Boneyard, some of the most fervent UConn fans, see his name spelled hundreds, if not thousands, of times on here, during games, and in articles the last 2 years then spell his name incorrectly?
Seriously, it could be a function of eutocorrect more than enything else.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score

Cognition is a very odd thing. It's part of the pattern recognition circuitry that we acquired in evolution. Another part is the "cut to the chase" mechanisms we collect. It is for that reason, I often confuse the acronyms VVR (Vermillion Valley Ranch) with VWR (one of our suppliers). I also associated the plastics manufacturer Nalgene with "Naglene" and consistently make that audible mistake.
So your quest is a fight against neural development millions of years in development, a battle against nature if you will.

Reaction Score
Seriously, it could be a function of eutocorrect more than enything else.
Just tried that. Didn't autocorrect to the wrong spelling. That function didn't work on your post either. So that can't be it.

Reaction Score
He'll be on this one when they announce the top 10.

And he will win it

Reaction Score
For the Xavier game, it seemed like for the first time that Castle played most of the point and and Newton the 2 guard. I don't know if the was a specific game plan for X, an experiment, or given the results something they move forward with. If the later, would that affect the final Bob Cousy award voting?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Just tried that. Didn't autocorrect to the wrong spelling. That function didn't work on your post either. So that can't be it.
Fair enough.

I had to stay vigilant to get HooparScoopar, eutocorrect, and enything to get into that post.
Hay Adrian was easy.

Maybe somebody should have asked Rashard to weigh in on the topic yesterday. Joson Sanon would probably be impossible. In the wake of the Xavier game, I've upped my Roumoglou game.

Fwiw, I have a sister who has spelled the word "excellant" for decades.

Reaction Score

It happens. I was referring to Samson as Sampson just because Sampson was stuck in my mind or something. People watch the games and read this board but many of us miss small details like a A being an E, etc. sometimes it’s also the automatic spelling corrector on the iPhone.

Reaction Score

I think, because it is a name. The name John and Jon sound the same. As does Tristan and Tristen, if not enunciated. But if your mind is more familiar with one version, than another, then the mind ignores what the eyes see, and, that is how you will "likely" spell it. There is only one spelling of apple and that is how we all spell it. But as long as there is more than one version of a name, "phonetic" familiarity will determine how you "tend" to spell it. Mind over matter. Also, people are lazy. IDK.

Reaction Score
Just realized Tristen was teammates with Vance Jackson during his freshman year at ECU. Pretty interesting timeline.

FTR my phone attempted to autocorrect to 'Tristan'.

Reaction Score
Just realized Tristen was teammates with Vance Jackson during his freshman year at ECU. Pretty interesting timeline.

FTR my phone attempted to autocorrect to 'Tristan'.
That’s interesting. I just tried on my phone and it didn’t autocorrect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom